Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hydroboost Planning

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes!  As Jonathan says, "Please share!"
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
A late reply is better than no reply, correct?  

Here is how I solved my hydro boost challenge.  I used the power steering pump from a '78 era Ford LTD, Lincoln Mark or Mercury Grand Marquis.  These saginaw pumps had the second return line plumbed into them.  This is all part of my transition to a serpentine belt, saginaw pump, 3G alternator.  

Let me know if you have any questions.  After two years I'm now ready to fire this engine up and try out all the changes I've made.  

1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
I suppose the first question everyone is going to have is where did you buy that pump.  Well it's a remanufactured pump that I bought from Rockauto however when I searched the part number just now, I found the part was "out of stock" but it didn't say discontinued.  The pump is an Atsco #6002 for anyone interested.  
1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Alfie!  I'm in the middle of Big Blue's transformation and am going hydroboost.  I have the Saginaw pump, but am wondering what hoses you used?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
For the hoses I bought the 1988 Superduty hoses that went along with the hydro boost unit.  They matched up to the unit and the steering gear but not the pump.  I cut the manufactured pump fitting off and got a new fitting from a local pressure hose shop we use at work.  With loose fitting I was able to line up the angle I wanted to keep the hose square and I marked the hose and fitting.  I took the pieces back to the shop and had them crimp the new hose end on and all is well.  Check out the photos.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's what I expected - that the hoses from that application wouldn't be quite right.

However, in my case I'm using the pump and hydroboost unit from a 1995 SuperDuty, so am hoping that those hoses will fit correctly.

Anyway, thanks.  If I have to have something made I can use your approach.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, if you are running the C2 pump the F-Superduty hoses work. If you are running the Saginaw then the pump to booster pressure hose will have the wrong end. You can have a hose shop make one, but I’m almost  positive that the Chevy 6.2 diesel 1-ton hose will work as-is. Only thing is whether the the bends in the hard line will clear the ham can reservoir the same as it does on the remote reservoir. (Should be the same unless the pump orientation is wildly different). The hard line on the booster is on the opposite side, but it looks to be the same booster. Pics below are from a 1986 Chevy K30 dual rear wheel 6.2 diesel.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1986,k30+pickup,6.2l+379cid+v8+diesel,1053100,steering,power+steering+pressure+hose,7320
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I'm confused and conflicted.  I thought the stuff I got from Jim included a Saginaw pump, but now I'm not sure. I'll need to go look.

Anyway, whatever pump it came with is probably the one I'm going to use since I've powder coated the bracket for that pump and I don't think the C2 and Sag use the same bracket.

And, while he had to cut some hoses, I'm thinking I can just go back with hoses for that application.  Right?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, you are correct, the C2 and Saginaw brackets are different.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is the one from the 1995 F450/SuperDuty Jim got parts off of for you and I.  But I don't remember what pump it had on it.  I've got it in a tote in the shop and will look in the morning, for sure.

I've been thinking it is a Saginaw, but don't know that it really is.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
I didn't 'have to cut some hoses' , but I sure didn't have a crow's foot  on me that afternoon.

It is a C2. You didn't seem interested in it at first.

Bill has a good illustration of the different bosses on the back side.
I don't think it's anything you couldn't correct with a mill, or some spacers. (forget which were equal and which weren't)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wasn't too interested as I planned to go with a Saginaw, although I thought getting the hoses was a good idea so wanted that whole setup.  But, having gotten this far and knowing that the C2 apparently worked fine on the SuperDuty I think I'll use it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, and now I remember - you just had to cut the tube 'cause you couldn't get the fitting off.  No problemo as I should be able to either have a new fitting crimped on or just buy the correct hose.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I am trying to find the pictures I took of the C2 and Saginaw brackets for a 460 polygroove belt system. Not only are they different depths, the C2 has all three bolts spaced 120° apart, the Saginaw has them staggered.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I know that Jonathan's done this, and Bill and I are planning on going with hydroboost.  But I need to think through the pump situation.

I have the C2 pump and hydroboost setup, including the all-important pedal, that Jim pulled off of the '95 F450 for me.  And Jonathan found me a Saginaw serpentine setup from a '90 E350.  So I want to use the Sag but need to devise a 2nd return.

Bill says a dual-return tank is probably available for the Sag, but I've also read that brazing in a 2nd return is easy.  Plus, I've seen others just put a tee in the return.

Thoughts?  Ideas?
So, in my first post, above, I knew the one from Jim is a C2.  (Of all the things I've lost in my life, my memory is the one I miss the most.  But wait, maybe I've never been able to remember?  I can't remember whether I could or not.  )  And, do I have a Saginaw bracket and pump from Jonathan????

I'll have to go figure this out in a bit.  The plot thickens.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I know you got the hydroboost equipment from Jim, but I pulled and sent you the E350 serpentine Saginaw bracket and pump. I assumed that was what you were going to use on Big Blue? The only catch is the pressure hose, and you will need to T the return line or source a hydroboost reservoir.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'd forgotten that, Jonathan.  

But what I don't know is which bracket I've powder coated and installed.  Not that it is a big deal as PC'ing the other one isn't hard and swapping is a piece of cake at this point.  But, I didn't pay any attention to which one I used, so will have to go see in a bit.  

And, knowing I had the Saginaw is why you explained what you did about the Chevy pressure line.  Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Boy, I’m glad I’m not the only one forgetting things... wait, what were we talking about?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I’ve always had a pretty good memory... but the last couple of years not so much. Between stress and age I am approaching the point where I could plan my own surprise party... and it’s a bummer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ya'll are right - memory loss is a pain!

Anyway, the mystery is solved.  I have the wrong bracket installed.  It is a C2 bracket that has never been broken and is nicely powder coated.  Bill - do need such a bracket for Darth?

Below is a pic with a C2 bracket on the top and a Saginaw bracket on the bottom - with a Sag pump installed.  (That's the bracket and pump Jonathan sent to me - thanks again!)  Note that the Sag bracket has been neatly repaired where the bottom tab was broken off - probably because someone didn't install the plate behind the water pump.  And note that the C2 bracket is still broken - and I know why it was broken as it was on Huck and had no backing plate.

Also, note that the Sag bracket only has holes for three bolts, even though the pump itself has four bolt holes.  The Ford application didn't use the fourth bolt hole.  And therein may have been why and where I erred.  I knew that a Sag pump has four bolt holes, so I assume I looked at the three brackets I have and realized all three have three bolt holes, but didn't look at the spacing.  Given that I picked the best of them - the one that hadn't been broken.  (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.  )

But obviously I chose poorly.  So now I'll have to blast and PC the Sag bracket.  Sure glad it was caught at this point as that won't be all that big of an issue.  However, I'll then need to sort out the pressure hose, although Jonathan has given a good solution.

And then there's the return, and both Alfie and Jonathan have said just teeing it into the normal return will work.  Or, I could either try to find a hydroboost reservoir or braze a return fitting into this one.

Now we are back on track!  Thanks for bringing me back gently.