116 messages Options
1 ... 3456
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hydroboost Planning

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I have to keep the outlet fitting (pressure union) as that's what mates with this hose.  But looking at the exploded view, below, that doesn't appear to have anything to do with the pressure or flow.

Is it the control valve that determines the pressure?  It may be directly behind the fitting.

So, are you saying I should swap the ham can, inc the fitting to the E-series pump?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, if I can find all the Saginaw pictures I took, the outlet fittings were different inside the pump as wel as the flow control valves. I think I remember finding some specifics on the pumps as far as pressure and flow. I would shoot for one that used a hydroboost unit, like my 1978 Delta 88 or my 1980 Bonneville Brougham. Maybe an E350 motorhome chassis.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm really just debating which of the two pumps to use.  Or, if I need to swap parts from one to the other.

I have to keep the outlet fitting, but could put that in the E350's pump.  That would then use the E350's flow control valve and spring.  And, the stud for the brace would be there.

Actually, since I like the return's angle and location on the Lincoln's Sag I should just swap the reservoir covers.  That keeps the internals the same but gives me the outlet fitting I need as well as the return I want.

Yes?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds like a good option, biggest item would be if the combination gives you the pressure needed for the Hydroboost unit without losing the steering "feel" (too much pressure can give a "loose" feeling).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, the plot thickens.  I've been doing some research and from what I can tell there were essentially two pressure settings used: ~850 psi for rack & pinion setups, and 1200 psi for all others.

But, I did find an article on Hemmings that details things fairly well.  Here are some takeaways from that:

Units built before 1975 had a 5/8-inch inside diameter slide-on pulley assembly that was held stationary by a keyway and shaft nut.

Two versions were used after 1975, both used a pulley that was pressed onto a 3/4-inch shaft with no keyway. The first unit was used from 1975-’79 (and some 1980 cars) and can be distinguished by the USS threaded holes on the front of the pump for the mounting brackets

All pumps used from 1963 to 1979 used a 5/8-inch-18 inverted flare nut on the end of the power steering hose. Most of the hoses used in these cars were built with 7/16-inch tubing ends crimped on them (7/16-inch tubing uses the 5/8-inch-18 flare nuts).

Pumps used from 1980 to 1996 looked identical in outward appearance to the earlier units; however, the mounting holes on the face for mounting brackets were metric. Another way to determine the SAE unit from the metric pump is by the internal thread of the pressure valve retaining nut. The metric 1980-and-up units used a 16mm x 1.5 o-ring thread on the pressure hose. The newer versions also have an “X” cast into the mounting face of the pump and require a wider square-cut o-ring to be used on the reservoir mounting bolts or studs.

Many different pressure valves were selected by manufacturers to match the gearbox setup, and the ratio they wanted to use. These valves screw into the back of the pump unit and are part of the retaining nut. A pressure spring is also located just behind this nut. When substituting between units, it is recommended whenever possible to use the original valve and spring out of your car, rather than from the donor car. This will ensure that the new pump assembly has the proper pressure for your gearbox. If you do not have the old valve for the pre-1975 units, there is a work-around to modify the pump to the correct pressure. If you remove the retaining nut and spring, some of the pressure valves have a threaded shaft with a nut on top with a series of washers. These washers help determine the pressure setting for the pump. Carefully hold the valve in a vise, without damaging the outer bore, and take off the nut. You can then change the number of washers. As you remove washers, the pressure setting of the valve (and pump) will increase. More washers equal less pressure. However, it should be noted that with less pressure, you would be able to get a better feel in the steering wheel for the condition of the road. Overdoing the pressure could also lead to early pump and/or gearbox failure, so don’t over-pressurize.

The above is consistent with what I've found on the mounting bolts and the pressure fittings.

But, with that info does it still seem like swapping the ham can is all that is needed?  IOW, put the earlier ham can on the later pump, retaining the inverted flare fitting and the mounting stud, pressure valve and spring, etc?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, as long as the fitting/valve are correct, and they should be, the cans are interchangeable.

I did find the E series 7.5L pump installation, I need to find one of those braces to use it on Darth.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As I think about it, I'm not liking this approach.  I want Big Blue to be maintainable, and that means my offspring should be able to buy parts off the shelf for it.  And having them buy an E350 pump and swap the back off a Lincoln pump to it doesn't fit the theme.

However, all I need is to adapt 16mm x 1.5mm to inverted flare.  One approach is to use an adaptor, similar to the one below, although that one is to 6AN and I'm not sure that's the same as the 5/8-inch-18 inverted flare.  (Nor am I convinced that the Lincoln pump is 5/8".  I thought it was 3/8".)

Another even simpler approach is to use one of these from someone like Speedway, which slips into the o-ring and presents the inverted flare:

That way I can use the E-350's pump and can replace it w/an off-the-shelf unit when needed.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, AN is a 37° flare, SAE is 45° degree flare.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We used to use little 'cups', I forget who made them.
Earl's, maybe?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Summit has these for $16.

But I'm drawn to this one from Dirty Dingo Motorsports via Amazon.  Perhaps it is because they show the pic below.  But I need to verify the fitting sizes as they don't give the metric size.  

I'm liking the external ones as they are somewhat obvious when you lay a new pump beside the old one.  But the internal one isn't as obvious.  Anyway, this looks to be the better approach rather than modify the pumps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did some checking today and confirmed that these are the fitting sizes:

Early Saginaw ('78 Lincoln): 5/8-18

Late Saginaw ('95 E350): 16mm-1.5mm

Note that I may have previously said the early fitting is 3/8" pipe.  It isn't.  The male fitting measures .580" in the grooves and .613" on top of the threads.  (The grooves may be smaller but my calipers won't go down in to the bottom.)  And 5/8-18 is supposed to be .555 & .625".  But 3/8 pipe is supposed to be .675" on the top of the threads at some point, so this isn't 3/8 pipe.

Given that, I've opted to not go with the Dirty Dingo part as they say theirs is 3/8 pipe.  I doubt it, but why take the chance.

So, I ordered these from Summit.  One is the right size and the other is the next size larger.  And they have good reviews, for the most part.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I got the above fittings in this morning and thought I'd close this off as the smaller of the two was a perfect fit.  Now I can tell my kids to use an '95 E350 power steering pump, but make sure to pull the adapter out before returning the old one as a core.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Don't you love it when a plan comes together!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I'm happy.  (At least on this topic.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
A little tidbit of info to add. There isn't enough difference between 37 degree and 45 degree flares to worry about. Once you tighten the tube nut or flare nut down it will swage the line into compliance. I had this discussion with my guy at the hose shop a couple of months ago. Regardless they flare at 45 degrees no matter what and nothing comes back to them.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know, Brandon.  Thanks.

1 ... 3456