Howdy to the group!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Howdy to the group!

Jaydog
Hey all! My name is Jay (Hi Jay!) Oops! Wrong meeting. :-)
I'm the proud owner of my grandpa's 1986 F150 XLT Lariat. It's got the 4.9L and is a stick. Right now I'm working to figure out why it only runs when I'm spraying starter fluid in it. Maybe the fact that it hasn't been driven in three years? I've got goop wanting to leak out of the front tank and I'm hoping the rear tank isn't full of crap. I'm prepared to either drop the rear tank to get it cleaned or put a new one in. It's not my daily driver, so I've got plenty of time. Not as much aptitude with mechanical stuff, but hopefully I have just enough to not get myself into a corner repair-wise. It's got 151,000 miles so I'm hoping I can eventually post another 100,000 on it.
Thanks for the add!
Jay, but my friends call me...Jay.
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Howdy to the group!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hi Jay.  We. too, have an addiction.  

Where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) and I'd be happy to add you.  Perhaps someone else is close to you and can help?

Anyway, I'm glad you have your grandfather's truck.  Being a grandfather myself that is a wonderful story.

As for the tanks, new ones aren't expensive and might be a good solution.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jaydog
Welcome! That’s a beautiful truck, you are lucky to have inherited such a gem!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sorry about not putting my location! I'm in Wichita, Kansas. I grew up NW of here, joined the Army and eventually settled back here. I'm a flatlander at heart!
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wichita!  The only place that pronounces the name of the "big" river as R-Kansas instead of R-Kansaw as the rest of the US does.  (That's from a guy whose home town is pronounced R-Kansas City.)  

After graduation from college, exactly 50 years ago today plus/minus a week or two, we moved to Wichita.  So I'm quite familiar with the area.  Or was, decades ago.

But, you are CLOSE!  You'll have to come to the Garagemahal Ford Truck Show & Swap Meet on Sept 21st.  It'll be here in Skiatook, just north of T-town.  Just come down the turnpike, get off at Tonkawa and come across 60 to Pawhuska.  Then south on 99 to Hominy, left on 20 and in ~20 miles, after crossing the lake, you'll be here.  There will be lots of guys from on the forum here.

So, would you like to be on the member's map? (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.)  Wichita? Derby?  Haysville?  Rosehill?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Ha! I'm glad we pronounce the name of the river the "right" way! :-)
Please put me in Wichita, or "Doo-dah" as we call it.
I'll pencil in the Show & Swap meet. The only issue would be that both our kids are in the High School marching band and we are band parents, so we're usually travelling nearly every weekend from Labor Day to after Halloween. But if I'm free and the Silver Streak is up and running, I'll head on down!
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
 Will they be marching in Arkalalah?  We might be up, dunno.

Anyway, you are on the map!

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Not sure yet. Two years ago they marched in Oologah and last year Okmulgee. Love the names!
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, and Skiatook fits right in.

By the way, Arkalalah is Ark City's Fall/harvest festival.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Ahh. I don't think the Goddard Eisenhower band marches there. May be a Class/school size thing.
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Update! Fuel pump will pull from a gas can, fuel filter in front of the carb is clear of debris. Pulled off the fuel line from the pump to the carb, and cleaned it out and observed gas being pumped during cranking, so I know fuel is getting to the carb, but it won't start. I poured gas straight down the carb several times and it started right up and ran and then it would die. Looks to my novice eyes that the carb isn't doing it's thing. Thoughts?
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So gas it getting TO the carb, but maybe not IN the carb?  To determine that, pull the air cleaner and look down the carb, engine off, and open the throttle briskly.  You should see a stream of gas shoot into the carb.  That would be from the accelerator pump and it tells you that gas is getting into the carb and that the accelerator pump is working properly.

If there's no stream then it is possible that gas is getting into the carb and the accelerator pump is not working.  And a cold engine won't like to start w/o that extra squirt of gas, although it should if the choke is fully shut.

So, is the choke shutting fully?  With the engine cold it should be shut after you open the throttle just a bit.

You can see illustrations and instructions on your carb here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carter-yfa-1bbl.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Yep, to the carb, not in. I'll do a "down the carb" peek today. It sure cranked like an engine not getting any gas. It ran fine on what I poured into the carb but then died after that. Thanks!
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
So, as I used say when I was DJ'ing "The hits just keep on coming!" I got the carb cleaned out, everything set to try and see if the truck would run...I put the key in the ignition, turned it...and it decided to turn all the way too easily, without starting the truck. Hmmm. Now the ignition switch turns freely without or with the key, and doesn't crank the engine. Grrrr. I know this has to be a common issue but....grrr. Thoughts, oh wonderful group?  
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two steps forward and one backward is still progress.  

The ignition switch sits on the top of the steering column about 1/2 way down from the steering wheel.  You can see it on the Ignition Switch tab here: Electrical/Ignition.  Sounds like the link/rod has somehow been disconnected.  It connects the tumbler to the switch.  There are instructions on that tab to check it out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Yep, it was the steering wheel lock/shift actuator. I don't think I'm going to tackle that right now. My attention is turned towards the carb. The fuel pump works, it's pulling clean gas from a gas can, the filter is new, but it won't start. I think I'm going to swap out the carb. BUT, now I'm learning that my truck is blessed with the "feedback" carb. Any suggestions on this issue?
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you need the feedback carb to meet emissions testing?  Otherwise I'd consider going with a non-feedback carb.

Having said that, do you have the EEC-III system?  If so you'll not have a vacuum advance on the distributor if it is the EEC-III system.

And, back to the carb, have you checked to see if you have fuel in the bowl?  You can do that by looking down the throat of the carb and opening the throttle briskly - with the engine off.  You should see fuel squirt into the carb.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jaydog
Checked last night, no fuel going into carb. No gas squirting in. And yes, it does have the dreaded EEC-II system. I don't think I'm up for swapping out the carb and ignition system. Could all of this have crapped out after three years of sitting? My extremely layman's brain is wanting it to be just a gummed up carb that I can swap out.
1986 F-150
4.9L stick
150,000 miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd bet the needle is stuck to the seat in the carb, which prevents gas from coming in.  Sometimes you can fix that with a rap on the carb with a plastic-tipped hammer or even a screwdriver handle.  Tap down on the carb and then see if gas flows.  May take a few tries, but it does work sometimes.

And yes, it can be from a few years of sitting.  The gas turns to varnish and causes things to stick.