classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Howdy from Northern New Mexico

Hamm0ckjames
Howdy Y'all
Thank you for letting me be a part of your forum.  I just acquired a 1986 F150 4x4 and am looking forward to dedicating part of my monthly paycheck to her. I got  her for a pretty good price, but she's in rough shape. Carburetor needs rebuilt, new wheels and tires, the bed is wrecked, overall condition is that of a ranch truck. She has a 5.8 ltr Windsor engine, but the odd thing is it has a 2bbl carb and intake manifold. Transmission is a C6, transfer case doesn't look too bad. Interior needs a lot of work, but she does run,,,, barely.

I plan on eventually building a flatbed for her and a 4" lift, might even do a body lift for the cab, don't know yet, that is far off in the future. Thanks again and I look forward to visiting with y'all.
New Project Rough 1986 F150 4x4 Extra Cab
It's so ugly,,,,, I might have to name it  "Moco".
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Howdy from Northern New Mexico

Hamm0ckjames
1986 F150 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
1986 F150 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
1986 F150 4x4 with 2bbl odd uh?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Very nice looking! Someone may have either changed the intake or even the entire engine as the 351W is not a super uncommon engine in those years both as a truck and earlier car engine.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Hamm0ckjames
Welcome!  Nice truck.  

On the engine, while it has the HO air cleaner, which would have come on the engine w/a 4bbl carb, they did sell a 2bbl version in earlier years.  But only the HO version in '86.  So, as Bill suggested, perhaps the engine was swapped out?

As for "northern NM", where might that be?  I ask because we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map on the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a location.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
An engine swap is a possiblity, when I can get  her running I will get her to the shop where I can power wash off some of the crud and get a positive ID on the motor. But so far it looks like a 351W, 6 valve cover bolts and the heads are about 3/8 taller than the intake manifold where they meet, and it has a C-6 bolted up. Plus it does have the exhaust  crossover line on the back side of the heads. Those are the indicators as to why I think it might be a 351w. What do you think? I'm no expert and I'm always open to suggestions and ideas,,,,,,,
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I work and live on the T.O. ranch, about 17 miles east of Raton. It's a pretty good sized ranch, my wife and I have worked here for 10 years now, we enjoy it..
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Welcome aboard! Nice truck...dents and all!

I'd like to visit New Mexico one day. I know very little about the state, but it is one of only two that I have never stepped foot in (that, and Alaska). I bought a wrecked motorcycle one time in NH that had originally come from NM, so I still have the bright yellow NM plate hanging on the wall in my garage as a constant reminder that I need to visit;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Howdy Rembrant, Well if you get by this part of the country you are welcome to stop by. The front gate is always open,,,,,,lol Literally!
And if you like to hunt, this is certainly the place to do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  However, I am not at all sure I got you anywhere close to the right place, so tell me where to drag the pin if not.

However, we aren't looking for serious accuracy, just an approximate location.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Gary, You've got me pinned pretty close. Just missed me by about 6 miles......lol. If you look closely at the map. Im on the north side of the highway, about 2 miles south of Throttle Lake on county rd A40.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If there is a tag on the carburetor, assuming it is a Ford carb, the number will tell the year of the carb. If it is a Ford carb, they partial number is stamped on the side of the flange by the front driver's side hold down stud.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Check the map now.  Should be close enough?

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome aboard!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome! I was born in Taos, and went to school in Red River as a youngster. I have been to Raton but only a time or two. We moved away when I was 10 but NM still feels like “home” somehow. It is a beautiful area. Your truck sounds like it needs TLC but is a good project! 🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2