classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Howdy from Fort Worth

Randy
This post was updated on .
I picked up an '84 F-150 short bed last summer, 28 years [corrected, originally said 18 years] since I traded in my last bullnose, a 1980 F-100 flairside, for some other long forgotten vehicle. But I never forgot about my F-100.

I didn't plan to buy the 84 last summer, but I kept running into a friend from my hometime at happy hour at Railhead BBQ in Fort Worth. One day last April (2108) he was sitting at one of Railhead's outdoor picnic tables when I arrived. I joined him and we started talking about our hometown. He pointed to the parking lot; about 50 feet from where we sat was his high school truck, a '67 F-100. He told me how it had been in non-running condition in a barn all these years but recently he'd completely rebuilt it. He now has quite a truck.

Of course I mentioned my regret at ever selling my '80 F-100. He told me about another guy from our hometown who had an '84 he was trying to sell because he'd married a German girl and moved to Germany with her. At that time, the truck had been sitting behind a popular German restaurant in central Texas.

Fast forward 3 months, the truck was sitting in another friend's hangar outside of Grandview, Texas. So I am again a bullnose owner. Now the truck is in my garage and in good running condition. I'll post more about what I've done to the truck on a project thread.

In the meantime, howdy.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Howdy from Fort Worth

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Howdy, y'all!  Glad you joined us, and glad you back into these trucks.  

We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) and I'd be happy to add you if you'd like.

C5?  That's rare.  I'd often wondered if that wouldn't be a good tranny to have.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Neat story. Welcome to the forum!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Randy
Yes, go ahead and add me to the map. I'm in north east Tarrant County.
Reply | Threaded
|

Randy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
C5?  That's rare.  I'd often wondered if that wouldn't be a good tranny to have.
I'd never heard of it until I decoded the door tag. I figured it was rare when my Google search only turn up uses of the C5 on some ford cars. Never the F150.

Will be needing to do something about the tranny. Not sure if I want to rebuild or replace. My daily driver has a stick and I enjoy it but for this truck I'll stay with an automatic. I figure that I'll probably just rebuild.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Randy
Ok, see what you think.  NE Tarrant County would be Grapevineish, so that's where I put you.  Can move you (on the map) if you want, but we aren't in this for precision as we don't want people showing up on our doorsteps uninvited.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ford's Master Parts Catalog, which most of our documentation comes from, shows the C5 was used in these trucks for several years, including '84.  (Taken from Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions and the Application tab.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome! Beautiful short bed pickup, thanks for sharing the back story.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Randy
Gary Lewis wrote
Ok, see what you think.  NE Tarrant County would be Grapevineish, so that's where I put you.  Can move you (on the map) if you want, but we aren't in this for precision as we don't want people showing up on our doorsteps uninvited.
Grapevineish is about right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Randy
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
Welcome! Beautiful short bed pickup
Thanks. The camera helps my truck lot better than it does in person.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  

The camera is doing just fine

I've always liked that color combo.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Randy wrote
I picked up an '84 F-150 short bed last summer, 28 years [corrected, originally said 18 years] since I traded in my last bullnose, a 1980 F-100 flairside, for some other long forgotten vehicle. But I never forgot about my F-100.

Great story Randy, and welcome aboard! The colors on that 1980 Flareside were gorgeous! Very similar story for myself. I had a 1980 Flareside years ago and sold it in 1994 or 1995. For 20 years it was always in the back of my mind, and a couple years ago I picked up another Flareside, this time a 1984.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Randy
Thanks. I've been reading through your project thread. I have had thoughts about converting mine to a flareside, motivated partly by nostalgia and partly by the fact that my short bed needs a good amount of body work. Somewhere along the line it was rear ended and each bedside was crunched in 0.5 to 1.0 inch at the bottom. I'm not sure how much trouble and cost will be involved in fixing it but I suspect it will be cheaper and easier to do a swap if I can get my hands on a decent bed, swb or flareside.