Howdy 1986 f150 5.0 efi springtown TX

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Howdy 1986 f150 5.0 efi springtown TX

ColbyDC
Just scored two 1986 fords. One ranger 4x4 2.9 ext cab and a single cab f150 5.0 2wd. I've got the ranger up and running. Needs a few more things to be road worthy. But I can't get the f150 to fire. It turns over we'll and sounds good but can't get it to fire over. I fixed a few chewed up wires and still have more to fix. I can't figure out we're these wires go. One large ground wire coming off windshield wiper motor and an orange wire wrapped in the injector loom but doesn't appear to go in the plug. I've read the wiring diagram and there does appear to be an orange wire in the injector harness but I don't see a break anywere in it. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get it up and going again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Howdy 1986 f150 5.0 efi springtown TX

ColbyDC
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
In reply to this post by ColbyDC
I also can't find a spot for the brown wire.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ColbyDC
Welcome Colby!  

I can say the wiper ground affixes to a valve cover bolt, or an intake manifold bolt on that side.

I need to poke around your photos on something bigger than my phone.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC

Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thank you!! That picture is a little bit clearer. The wires in question are to the left of the plug.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, welcome!  Sorry I'm late to the party.

First, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu).  Would you like to be added?

Second, I'm not seeing an orange wire in the EFI wiring diagram.  Did you say you are?  If so, which wire is it?

And, what is the "trace" color on the wire?  Almost all the wires on these trucks have a second color, and knowing that would help me find out what it is.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
You may be falling victim to the EVTM.

We all know that the manual doesn't show all the places in a connector let alone all the wires that may run together in a harness.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  But I also have not only the Documentation/Electrical/Standard Wire & Color Codes document available but also a complete 1985 EVTM that is OCR'd.  So I can search for the wire color and find every instance of it.

However, there are lots of uses of orange wires, which is why I asked for the trace color.  That will nail it down pretty quickly.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
I must've miss read it. I thought it was the o/t but I'm not seeing any tan. It appears to be solid orange.
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Here's the second wire in question it appears to go to the air charge sensor which I don't think I have.
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC

I can also see were the orange wire might go at g711 I just can't seem to find the other end.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Colby, 'G' means ground.
In Ford wiring only black wires should be grounded (unless it's a wire going to a sender, where the ground varies to move the gauge needle.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
I was just guessing. It looks like the same wire coming out of the loom in the same spot. Mine is definitely orange though.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And I wasn't trying to be antagonistic.
I just wanted to explain the 'why' so you can begin to understand how the harness works.

I haven't looked at one of these 5.0's in decades but maybe I can help.
I'm pretty good with wiring. I'm just out of town and don't have any of my books to check.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
I didn't take it that way sir. I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound rude. I'm not a big fan of text for that very reason lol. It's hard to read people's social cues. What books do you recommend. Might go get a Chilton here soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not at all Colby!  

I try to use the emoticons so at least people know if I'm jesting, shocked, elated or something else.

I would say the factory manuals are the best.
There are fewer mistakes, (not perfect) and they properly deal with procedures (unlike Chilton or Haynes where you'll have a generic chapter on 'ignition timing', for example)

There are a set of three that cover most everything you need.
The Workshop Manual
The Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual
And the Master Parts Catalog (where you will find exploded views of everything)

That last one is really helpful if you're more of a visual thinker.

You see these on eBay all the time.
Don't pay a lot of $

You can also get them on optical disc if you have a shop monitor.
I know that HiPo Parts sells them.
Gary has another source he feels is better because they are searchable, so you don't have to know where to find what you want to find.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
Sorry Gary I must've jumped youre message. I would love to be added to the map. Springtown TX 76082

I'm trying to determine if the fuel pump works. I brought a battery underneath the truck disconnected the pump and jumped the positive and negative terminal to the positive and negative terminal on the battery. The pump clicks but thats it. I would it expect it to hum trying to pump. Is the click normal? Would ohming the pump tell me if its bad?
Reply | Threaded
|

ColbyDC
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I found a CD rom on ebay with all the manuals for $25. Now I just gotta find a computer that still reads cds. Lol