How to start quickly after sitting for awhile...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to start quickly after sitting for awhile...

ckuske
Administrator
I'm hoping there's a trick I'm missing.  Since I'm busy and have the interior apart to boot, I start the truck up maybe once a month.

That means there's lots of cranking to be done to get fuel drawn back into the engine and I hate to wear out the starter.  

I know to pump the gas a few times to engage the choke etc, but is there a 'hack' to getting fuel out of the tank back into the carb etc?  Just pump away on the gas pedal?  It's hard to know when it has fuel vs you just flooded it.

This is on a 302 with 2 barrel 2150 carb (I believe).  

Thanks!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to start quickly after sitting for awhile...

Whisler
Possibly a shot of ether would help.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A shot of ether would probably spin it over nicely, but it might stall as the ether runs out before the gas gets into the carb.  However, it would also spin the pump rapidly several times and that might get gas there before the engine dies or at least keep the subsequent cranking to a minimum.

What about pouring gas into the carb through the vent?  I think there are two vents that go down to the bowl, but I'm not sure.  If so, you could pour gas through one of them to fill up the bowl.  Then there'd be enough gas to run the engine until the pump pulls gas from the tank.  But be sure to put the air cleaner back on before trying to start the engine as there can be backfires.

Or, if you have compressed air handy, you could pressurize the tank via the fill neck to get gas to, and maybe past, the pump.  But, you don't want much pressure or you could damage something.  I used that method once on a truck where the pump didn't want to pull gas and it worked.  I dialed the regulator down to 10 PSI, wrapped a shop towel around the air nozzle, and put that into the tank and pulled the trigger.  I felt the pressure come up and some gurgling, and after about 10 seconds or so I tried the engine and it started right up.

I know there are lots of "buts" in that approach, like "what about the vent" and "aren't there check valves in the pump".  However it worked for me - the one time I tried it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
One of the small 12V pumps that the mechanical pump can easily pull through with a "priming" button that is wired to an ignition power source so it won't work with the key off. I used to jump the cranking power wire for the in-tank pumps on Darth when he sat, saved a lot of cranking waiting for the Holley float bowls to fill. Since I was doing it with the hood open, I would just listen to the "hiss" in the return line telling me the bowls were full.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for the tips!  Any suggestions on a particular 12v pump?  I've read a little bit on other forums that some pumps will pass fuel through to the mechanical pump easily, while others do not if they're not engaged.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread