How Well Were The New Bullnose Trucks Received in 1980?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How Well Were The New Bullnose Trucks Received in 1980?

LARIAT 85
When the Bullnose generation was first released in late 1979 as all-new trucks with a completely new design for 1980, how well were they received by the general public?  

I would love to hear from the older guys in here who can remember and hear what their first impressions were at the time.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How Well Were The New Bullnose Trucks Received in 1980?

85lebaront2
Administrator
I was kind of, hmm. A good friend bought one when they first came out, and had it over at our house. We compared it to my 1958 F100 short bed and found it to be close in size. I remember being surprised that the 460 was no longer available and wondered how it was going to stack up in the towing world.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Good question.  And as one of the OLDer guys on here, I'll attempt to answer it.

I don't remember thinking about the new trucks when they came out.  But I do remember when Dad got his '81, albeit used.  It had been several years since I'd had my '72 F250 and I was amazed at how much more modern the '81 seemed.

But the body styling wasn't that much different than the Bumps and Dents, so it seemed like just a natural progression.  It wasn't until '87 that the styling changed radically and, at least from the front, there was a big break from the styling of the earlier trucks.  And inside as well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Oh yeah, I forgot the engine.  My '72 had the 390 w/a 4bbl (QJet).  Dad's had the 351M w/a 2bbl.  Absolutely NO comparison.  Don't think I ever towed w/the '72, but we had a 9 1/2' self-contained camper on it, and it handled it fine.  Dad's wouldn't have shifted into 3rd gear.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
My 1977 F150 had a 390 Camper Special engine I installed complete with the correct Holley 4 barrel and distributor. With the 3.25 gear and a C6 it did deliver 16-17mpg highway empty and would move if you stood on it. I carried an 11.5' Wolverine slide-in with it and when we fist bought our 5th wheel pulled that with it. Only problem I had towing the 5th wheel, brakes were a bit marginal, particularly when asbestos brake linings were banned. I completely fried a set taking it to a campground near Gordonsville VA.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
This post was updated on .
I was only 15 when the '80s came out (in '79).  So my reaction probably wasn't the most... mature.  But an F-250 was my dream vehicle at the time, so I was definitely paying attention (and I got my '85 F-250 5 years later!).

Gary mentioned engine differences.  I think that actually came in '77.  Earlier there was the 300, 360, 390 and 460.  Everyone knows the 300 and 460.  Those were earlier versions, maybe not quite as good as the later ones, but still good.  The 390, as Gary and Bill recall, was a good engine.  Decent mileage (by the standards of that day) and good power.  The 360 was not so good.  A lot less power than the 390 and about the same mileage (maybe worse when loaded).

In about '77 the 351M replaced the 360 and the 400 replaced the 390.  They were "good" replacements.  By that I mean the 400 had decent mileage and good power, much like the 390 it replaced, while the 351M had a lot less power and no better (maybe worse) mileage, much like the 360 it replaced.  I was glad that the Fairmonts weren't gobbling up 351Ws by '85 so my truck had that engine instead of the M.

Losing the 460 in '80 was a downer, but at least it did come back in the 250 and 350.

Oh, and I think the 302 came into trucks around that time (or was it earlier?).  I didn't pay very close attention to that engine then so I can't really speak to it now.

Body-wise I thought (and still think) that the '80s weren't nearly as good looking as the '79s.  But then again, I've thought that every new look that Ford has come out with since the late 60s was worse than it's predecessor with the exception of adding the blue oval to the grill in ~'83 and the '92 restyle (although I still think the '92 - '97 doesn't look as good as the '83 - '86, just better than the '87 - '91, but I would put it higher than the '80 - '82).

Suspension is where my lack of maturity comes in.  I really liked the TTB in '79 when it first came out on the '80 models.  All of the advantages of a 4WD but better ride and handling!  After getting an '85 F-250HD, and having driven a couple of older solid axle 4WDs, I generally prefer a solid axle now.  But at the time my 15 year old self was excited about it.  In fact, while I said my dream truck was an F-250, for a while at least is was more the idea of a '67 - '72 body on an '80s chassis.  Like I said, I was 15.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Nothing Special wrote
I was only 15 when the '80s came out (in '79).  So my reaction probably wasn't the most... mature.
Speaking of which...I was 10 when my grandfather bought his 1980.  I don't recall having an impression of the styling, but what I do remember was how smooth and quiet it seemed.  Of course, I was comparing it to his previous truck (probably a '77 F-100, I don't know for sure) and my dad's truck ('57 Dodge D-100), so I didn't have a lot to go on.  Plus it was the first truck with an automatic transmission I'd ever seen, so there was that as well.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
No many years on you.  I was 16 when my grandfather brought an F250 extended cab home in Ford blue and white in his first year of retirement to pull the 5th wheel he purchased.  He loved that truck and traveled the country with my grandmother from our little town in ID and much across Canada.  I was a diesel, so it must have been the 6.9 in early '85.  I dreamed of buying from him when he traded the 5th wheel in, but the buyer wanted a package deal.  

I remember it as positively luxurious compared to the IH pickup used to deliver John Deere parts from his shop (the engine in that IH truck was Caterpillar Yellow)

I recall having to move the red/white fishing float hanging from the ceiling far forward. and we still had to use the side door of the garage to get to the house when that cab and bed filled every inch!

I also liked the square instruments over the Dodge circles in his other shop truck.  It seemed really modern.

The only negative thing I remember, and it wasn't about styling, was when I was in the passenger seat and watched it pop out of park and into reverse when we were parking the 5th wheel on a trip.  I managed to slide across the seat and hit the brake, but man was he sore!   It took a lot of convincing that I hadn't been fooling around and moving the truck.  He watch it do it again a couple weeks later without the grandson factor, and start rolling overpowering the parking brake.  I still loved it, though, and was really careful to set that brake tight and make sure the shifter was fully seated whenever I put it in park.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
At 20 when the 80 models came out I was not paying much to them as there was no way I had dollars to even think of getting one.
What I do remember is when helping a buddy at the gas station a customer stopping in with a dark blue one, don't remember the year, with gold pin stripping and thinking it was a nice looking truck but that is as far as it went.

Cant even tell you why I picked the truck (flare side) I did other than it cough my eye and the price ($800) was not bad at the time LOL.

In 86 when looking for a new full size SUV I don't even remember looking at Ford Bronco's. May have had to do with motors for pulling a trailer?
Only gave a quick look at Dodge (could get a 360) but was hooked on the GM diesel in the Blazer and could not get a diesel in anything else.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
FuzzFace2 wrote
In 86 when looking for a new full size SUV I don't even remember looking at Ford Bronco's. May have had to do with motors for pulling a trailer?
Only gave a quick look at Dodge (could get a 360) but was hooked on the GM diesel in the Blazer and could not get a diesel in anything else.
Dave ----
But, I hear it was a dog, stock?  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
Dave ----
But, I hear it was a dog, stock?  
LOL yes it was but getting 21+ MPG and a little lower pulling the trailer but I lived with it for 100K till it got a little boost LOL

Just before the first year was up, had over 12K on it by that time, I had the LS clutch housing go bad and when I was changing that I went with 4.11 gears (from 3.08 I think it was) and that helped be less of a dog till I hit the 100K mark.
Dave ---
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll bet the 4.11's helped the MPG as well?  

The Bullnose era was a time of change.  You could see that change was coming, but it wasn't quite here yet.  Engines were all over the map, with Ford offering the little 232 and 255, neither of which lasted long, and on the other end of the scale introducing the 6.9L IDI and bringing back the 460. But diesels weren't very impressive w/o turbos, and turbos wouldn't be available from the factory for a few years.  And early versions of EFI were just being phased in for some of the gas engines, although it wasn't for several more years before all of them would get it.

As for transmissions, the "little" engines had just gotten 5-speed manuals with O/D, but they weren't yet available for the "big" engines - which happened just a few years later.  And the autos were either the gas-guzzling C6 with both no O/D nor a lock-up torque converter, or the AOD which was just for the "little" engines.  But again, a few years later the E4OD came out and gave us both an O/D gear and a lock-up torque converter.

Then there's the interior and options.  The Bumps and Dents were mostly metal with a bit of plastic, and mostly utilitarian.  The Bullnose trucks introduced a lot of plastic and more upholstery.  In fact, by the end of the era even the door panels had fabric on the top-end trucks.  And options included power door locks and windows.  Basically, pickups were no longer utilitarian.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
I was 16 when they came out. The first glance I got was during a football game commercial, watching with dad. We both said, almost simultainiously, that it looked like a chevy. Of course, dad had a 74 F100 and I had just got a 1970 F100 (302 3 speed 3.50 rear axle). Someone stated they weren't sure when the 302 became available in trucks, well, it was there by 1970.

After a couple months, I saw one in person, and changed my mind. I thought they looked pretty good, but still preferred the looks of the older trucks.
I did end up buying one in 1997. Still have it today, as well as the 74 F100 dad bought new.....
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

Dan Crowley
My first thought was "hell that truck looks like a brick" and today I still can't understand why we call them Bullnose.
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
I wasn't alive when these trucks came out so I'll add a bit of insight from my dad and from my own perspective years later.

My father pretty much thought they looked damn good, ended up buying his in his last high school years in 87/88. We still have it today, as you all know. However, by his own admission that 300 in it was absolute pig and by 1990 it had a 351W in it. He was never really concerned with all the engine options, the truck was still at that point in history were you could put whatever you wanted for a motor in it relatively easily. 390s, 460s etc were all considered before we ended up going with a Windsor. Compared to the 70s trucks, he still says those were the "real" trucks Ford built, but puts the bull right up there with them. He definitely prefers the more squared off styling, but doesn't care for 87-91 trucks. The tech was cool, but at the end up the day it was pretty simple to remove all that feedback carb crap and go back like they were before...in his eyes they were nothing more than a mere body and chassis progression of the 70s trucks.

As far as I go, being born in 95 his truck was already 10 years old and had seen a frame off once already by that point.

I just remember the thing stood out from everything on the road and had it's own personality...everyone knew who owned and drove it. I always liked that it had it's own identity and in a way shaped me as a person as I got older. Kids my age used to ask me if dad had a monster truck...I'd just laugh. But that's how the 80s and 90s were, everyone had roll bars and KC lights. Honestly, that truck in of itself is why I became a bullnose obsessor...there's simply nothing that looks that mean on the road!

1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
First time I recognized a bullnose was when I was around 10 years old (2002). There was an old 1980 sitting in the back of somebody's yard, and I always thought it was ugly because it didn't have the blue oval like my dad's trucks.  Little did I know that five years later I would buy that same truck, and eventually found myself at a point where I prefer that early grille. The 82+ trucks look too modern in my opinion, and I think that's why I like the 80-81 trucks. They remind me of the bump and dentsides.

How I found it:

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Dan Crowley
Dan Crowley wrote
My first thought was "hell that truck looks like a brick" and today I still can't understand why we call them Bullnose.
When I got into Ford trucks on-line it took me a while to figure out how to remember what nickname went with what body style.  Eventually I figured out that it's easiest to remember that they're all wrong:
"Bullnose" trucks are the ones that are squared off, like a brick
"Bricknose" trucks are the ones that are still pretty blocky, but instead of having squared off corners like something man-made, it has more rounded corners, kind of like a big solid animal, like a bull
"OBS", which stands for "old body style", is the newest body style of the three

And since I find the nicknames much less than helpful, I don't use any of them.  I will say "old body style" to differentiate between the '97 F-250HD and the '97 F-250, but otherwise I usually use the year ranges.

Having said that, I'm not trying to change anyone else's habits.  So go ahead and call '80 - '86 trucks "bullnose."  I know that you mean the trucks that look like a brick
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nothing Special wrote
When I got into Ford trucks on-line it took me a while to figure out how to remember what nickname went with what body style.  Eventually I figured out that it's easiest to remember that they're all wrong:
"Bullnose" trucks are the ones that are squared off, like a brick
"Bricknose" trucks are the ones that are still pretty blocky, but instead of having squared off corners like something man-made, it has more rounded corners, kind of like a big solid animal, like a bull
"OBS", which stands for "old body style", is the newest body style of the three

And since I find the nicknames much less than helpful, I don't use any of them.  I will say "old body style" to differentiate between the '97 F-250HD and the '97 F-250, but otherwise I usually use the year ranges.

Having said that, I'm not trying to change anyone else's habits.  So go ahead and call '80 - '86 trucks "bullnose."  I know that you mean the trucks that look like a brick
Amen, brother!  I was part of the discussion on FTE that resulted in deciding to call these trucks Bullnose, as explained on the Bullnose FAQ's page.  But I didn't vote for "Bullnose".  I actually voted for "Bricknose".  

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
LARIAT 85 wrote
When the Bullnose generation was first released in late 1979 as all-new trucks with a completely new design for 1980, how well were they received by the general public?  

I would love to hear from the older guys in here who can remember and hear what their first impressions were at the time.

Curious where they got those fuel economy numbers lol.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
"Curious where they got those fuel economy numbers lol."

I once owned a 1984 F150 with 4.9L, 4 speed manual OD and 2.47 rear gears. This truck came with the tiny air dam / spoiler on the front bumper.

Driven @ 65 mph on the interstate, it routinely returned 26+ MPG. It was a dog when accelerating.

This was before the widespread use of gasohol.