classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How Difficult? Mirror Swap

beefman
Hello all,

I don't post very often, but I do quite a bit of reading.  I've followed along from over at the other site where I was thebigtruck and last year got my grandpa's 84 F150.  I've moved along through my worklist on it a bit, however slowly (but progress is progress), and now I'm looking at my mirrors.  I'm wondering the difficulty of changing from a Type 5 to a Type 9 mirror?  The current mirrors are pretty well shot/cracked/can't see out of them, and I like the Type 9 style that remind me of my first truck which was an 89 F150.  Without having them in front of me, it looks like the upper screws will match fairly closely, and all that I'd need to do is put in the bottom set.  I'm throwing it out there for y'all that have a bit more knowledge in your head than I do and maybe keep me from having an "oh crap" moment.  Thanks!
Grandpa's "Big Red" 1984 F150 XL
4x4, 302, C6, trying to get back in decent shape for a farm/pasture/hunting truck.

The New Red 2019 F150 XLT
4x4, 2.7L EcoBoost, Super Crew

The Big Truck 2017 F350 XLT
4x4, 6.7L PSD, Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How Difficult? Mirror Swap

myrl883
If you get the correct year type 9 mirrors for your truck, the upper mounting holes are the same. The lower holes will need to be drilled and rivnuts installed. The rivnuts take a special tool to install, but any body shop could put them in for you.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There were two different lower mounts - two hole and three hole, as I described in this thread on FTE.  But within those two categories the mounts themselves didn't change for well before and after the Bullnose era.

As for the rivnuts, the Ford mirror kit I got for my '72 F250 back in the early 70's came with nuts that pressed in and then expanded, which could be done from the outside.  Or, you can pull the door panel and use regular nuts and washers from the inside.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
Thanks guys.  I reckon I'll order in the mirrors and see what I can do.  I probably need to get into the door panels anyway since my windows need a little bit of assistance.
4x4, 302, C6, trying to get back in decent shape for a farm/pasture/hunting truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
A rivnut installation tool isn't expensive, at least not the one I have.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Correct, the issue I have is finding an M6X1.0 mandrel for it since the mirror mounting bolts are that thread on mine.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The mirrors I got thru LMC comes with the hardware.
Also has extra hardware (bolt/nuts/washers) to install the nut serts.
I have not installed them yet so cant say how well that works.

And yes the upper mirror holes do line up to the factory holes.
Dave ----  
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
Thanks for all the replies, folks!  Much appreciated.

Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
In reply to this post by beefman
Thought I'd give a year later update.  I haven't been on here much as life got in the way a bit, but I'm still kicking around on Big Red.

Finally got around to doing the mirror swap.  Wasn't bad at all, except for the nutserts in the LMC package - they installed easily enough, but the screws were gommed up or something and ended up unseating the nutserts.  Oh well, I just pulled the door panel and I had some bolts that didn't look too trashy that I used with a lock washer and nut on the inside of the door.  Problem solved - hey it's a farm truck anyway.

Before:

After:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They look a lot more "truck-like" than the smaller mirrors.  Good job.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Thanks for the info on the LMC hardware as I have not installed my mirrors yet.
Do you think a little oil or grease would have helped any on the install of the nutserts?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Grease on the threads; not outside.  I've installed a bunch, and never used the expensive tool - just a hardened bolt & a flat stay-arm.
Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
In reply to this post by beefman
The installation part wasn't bad really, drill the hole, clean it up a little bit, then put it in the bolt, loose nut, etc that comes in the package.  That part was easy enough so I cinched them up as tight as I could get them with my bear paws and didn't see the need to break out a longer handled ratchet or a power tool - mainly because it completely stopped and there was no more turning that could be done at that point.  Maybe I overtightened them?  I'm not sure.  

I didn't try grease because the bolts made it through the other side of the nutsert, and turned pretty well up until a point.  That point for one of them was about 1/4" away from being fully tight against the mount, and another one was maybe 1/16" away from being tight.  Words not suitable for public consumption were uttered, but we got through it.  In summation, I'm not sure if grease would have helped, but big dummy didn't try that.

Side note, the passenger side has the 2 package nutserts used in the bottom of the mirror mount - I had to redrill and reinsert a nutsert when it broke loose and started spinning.  Since the factory upper bolts and screw holes worked I used the old hardware there - so I had 2 extra nutserts and bolts for each side (I considered that a decent win).  The driver side both nutserts broke loose before getting tight, and as it was the last side I did, it got the "farm fix" of bolts, lock washers, and nuts on the inside of the door.  Yes, I will probably a future time go back and redo the passenger side so they match, but not until I need to remove that antique, brittle door panel for another reason.  The pucker factor was high enough when I took off the driver side panel.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I have two questions, as I have the black mirrors currently and I don't much care for them.

Which set of mirrors did you go with from LMC, and which one is technically correct? I see one is a bubble style rounded back, and the other is squared off with kind of a point.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Squared off is "correct" for a 1980-1982. 1983 and newer would be the rounded style.

But it really comes down to personal preference.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Danny G
TheScatch wrote
...which one is technically correct?
Possibly the ones on the truck, but it's hard to say for sure.

In any case: you get no extra points for having original-style aftermarket mirrors, or even OE mirrors.  You'll enjoy the truck more if it has the mirrors that actually WORK best for you.  Do you tow?  Do you off-road?  Do you often find yourself needing to adjust the mirrors as you drive?  Do they ice up?

For me, the later power mirrors were best, and they look & work MUCH better than the "correct" ones (which were the dinky car-style that the OP of this thread had).  This photo album shows how I installed them, and some useful modifications like turn signals, heat, puddle lamps, off-road lights...:

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Steve83 wrote
In any case: you get no extra points for having original-style aftermarket mirrors, or even OE mirrors.  
You may not give extra points for era correct mirrors, but I do.

We all have our opinions, but to me the later style mirrors look out of place on a Bullnose.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Power mirrors are a pretty sweet and convenient piece of hardware I Amy consider. I do love the old metal mirrors though. I did not like the sport mirrors.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
...the later style mirrors look out of place on a Bullnose.
It's the same door.  If you were only looking at the side, and couldn't see the wheel arches or beyond, you'd have a hard time distinguishing a bullnose with the '92-96 mirror from a stock '92-96 truck.  To me, it looks perfectly natural, and a LOT more usable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Steve83 wrote
Rembrant wrote
...the later style mirrors look out of place on a Bullnose.
It's the same door.  If you were only looking at the side, and couldn't see the wheel arches or beyond, you'd have a hard time distinguishing a bullnose with the '92-96 mirror from a stock '92-96 truck.  To me, it looks perfectly natural, and a LOT more usable.
We all have our own tastes and opinions, and that in itself is a good thing. Otherwise we'd all be driving the exact same trucks.

I wouldn't say that somebody "gets no points" for wanting period correct parts, it's just a personal preference. Sometimes form is preferred over function.

Having said that, I'm certainly not against upgrades and improvements. To me a 5spd manual is a good example.

I also took your advice Steve and installed a later model plastic brake master cylinder, and I couldn't be happier with it. That in my mind is a worthwhile upgrade.

But back to the mirrors...

I don't really have much preference between the small Type-5 mirrors and the more traditional Type-9 mirrors. My truck has the smaller Type-5's on it, and they are most definitely the least functional of all options, but I still like them. If my truck had had the larger Type-9 mirrors on it, I would have left it that way.

I have a mild curiosity about the Type-14 paddle style mirrors. I really like them, but they seem to be to be so rare on a Bullnose they seem out of place to me. I may order a set sometime and give them a try and see if I like the look of them. I have a couple pics saved of these mirrors installed, but they seem to be fairly uncommon on the Bullnose trucks...

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995