Hood to cowl weatherstrip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hood to cowl weatherstrip

Tallyho
Looking for opinions on where to find a quality replacement?
Tallyho
1984 f250 4x4 460 4 spd
Raymond maine
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hood to cowl weatherstrip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you have three options:

NOS: But by now a 30+ year-old part will surely be stiff and hard, so not likely to seal

Aftermarket: However, from what I've seen those are flimsy and also unlikely to seal

Garage Door Seal: This is my favorite.  Here's how I've written it up.  And here's a thread where JMUBullnose just did it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tallyho
Thank the gods I asked this here.   The garage door seal looks like the perfect way to solve my leak!
Tallyho
1984 f250 4x4 460 4 spd
Raymond maine
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let us know how it works for you.  And, don't miss the Black Jack recommendation for adhesive/sealant.  I've tried RTV and it does not work well as it doesn't adhere to the garage door seal.  But it does adhere to the paint, so when you need to take it off and use Black Jack it is a real pain.  Don't ask.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tallyho
I sourced the gasket and black jack at Lowes today while giving the old truck a run to make sure the new valve cover gaskets didn't leak.  The garage gasket seems kinda lightweight...
I'll post an update after it done.
Tallyho
1984 f250 4x4 460 4 spd
Raymond maine
Reply | Threaded
|

Tallyho
Did the mod today but skipped the black jack.  The original weatherstrip had metal in it so after stripping the old rubber off it I used that over the new rubber.  Fit nice and snugg
Tallyho
1984 f250 4x4 460 4 spd
Raymond maine
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good trick.  Glad it worked.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by Tallyho
You know that's not a bad idea! I halfway considered that when I pulled it off - now I wish I had done it!

The other method is sealing real nice though and kept things dry while I was washing the truck on Friday.
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.