Holley 4160 carburetor compatibility questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Holley 4160 carburetor compatibility questions

reverse_fault_frank
I'm new to all of this so bear with me, but I recently purchased an 85 F250 with a 460. I'm in the process of swapping carburetors from what I believe is a 4180c to a rebuilt holley 4160 with an electric choke. My first question is if anyone knows of a throttle cable bracket that works with this carburetor, or if I will have to get a new throttle cable. Second question is about the vacuum hoses. I'm planning on replacing all of the vacuum hoses and I don't know if I should replace in the exact configuration on the diagram or if I should have a line that goes from the distributor straight to the metering block. Last question is about wiring the electric choke, I'm not sure where I should splice it to. Here's a few pictures of where I'm at.

Here's the current throttle cable bracket, also the old carb had the Air Conditioning compensator which unfortunatly was incompatible with the new carb.

This is the vacuum diagram
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Holley 4160 carburetor compatibility questions

grumpin
What did you get the rebuilt carb off of?

The main reason I replaced mine with a Holley Classic was that the linkage bolted right up.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

reverse_fault_frank
Not sure what it came off of, I bought it from a shop that rebuilds them.

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Frank, I have a 4160 0-08457s that's been on my truck.

You need the proper throttle ball stud arm, and the vacuum advance should go to the Thermal Vacuum Switch on the water neck.
That switch should have manifold vacuum to both sides, and a small plastic vacuum restriction in one of those manifold sources.

I can pull it down and post some pics in the morning (not like I have anywhere else to be )
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reverse_fault_frank
You can make the idle kicker work, but you might have to rethink your fuel inlet to make room.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I don't have a 460, but I did install a new Holley 4160 on my 302. I bought the kit below, and my stock throttle cable and bracket worked just fine. I forget which one fit exactly, but one of them was perfect for the Ford cable.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/brackets_and_linkage/parts/20-2

I did also install a 1" spacer under the 4160, which lifted it up to about the same height as the original carb (which was on top of an EGR spacer).

I connected the Holley electric choke to the original electric choke wire on the truck, although a lot of people say not to do this. You'll have to read up on that one and make your own decision. There have been a few discussions on here on ways to get the correct power to the carb. I think an oil pressure switch is a good one.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I just swapped the Motorcraft single bullet connector choke cap onto my new Holley.
Done!   😁

The parts interchange.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pics as promised

Iet me know if you need another angle or something.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What's the build # on the carb you bought?

You can find the build and date code on the front of the choke horn.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reverse_fault_frank
Mine is an 1850-3, the AC throttle kicker doesn't line up with any of the flanges on the lever. As for the throttle linkage, the ball that is on there is not perfect but the cable snaps on snugly and lines up okay. The issue is that the spring on the cable needs to be depressed quite a bit to link up resulting in a loose cable at the pedal.

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I used on of these... https://www.amazon.com/Ryanstar-Throttle-throttle-brackets-Aluminum/dp/B01J9Z0NF8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2RZ48GRPPV0KR&dchild=1&keywords=throttle+cable+bracket&qid=1586120446&s=automotive&sprefix=throttle+%2Cautomotive%2C175&sr=1-4

There are many different suppliers of these on Amazon. All cheap Chinese versions of a much more expensive American design...

You wouldn't need to use the return spring and you could put your second cable underneath the bracket. I use it on a completely different application, so I'm just guessing, but it should work.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Here's the more expensive version... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-112
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

reverse_fault_frank
In reply to this post by Sac79
I've seen those, wouldn't I have to replace the throttle cable then? The bracket doesn't look compatible with mine. Thanks for all the suggestions

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

reverse_fault_frank
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I've got a 1" spacer in the mail right now, I also have the EGR spacer as well, so hopefully everything fits a little better. I'll probably end up wiring the choke like you did.

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Seems the easy way out for you would be to get the proper throttle arm and a banjo fuel fitting.

The ball would be right.
The cable would have proper tension.
The kicker would have a place to hit.

Holley has the parts breakdown and numbers on their site, by build #.
I'm not sure, but I'd think you could simply use the arm and bracket off your 4180.
Have you looked into that?

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just swap the cap off your 4180.
The choke cap fits the same.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Did you change the intake manifold?

A 1" spacer is not going to cover the EGR 'Ear' in the stock intake coming from the exhaust crossover.
DAMHIK
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reverse_fault_frank
This post was updated on .
I also have a 5/16 banjo in the mail, when I first started doing all of this the dude at O'reilly's sold me 3/8 fuel line stuff which I'm going to return. I have the stock intake manifold, are you saying the 1" spacer is not enough and what do you mean by EGR ear?

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm saying the EGR spacer has an odd shape to cover the hole in the stock intake where the exhaust is funneled from the crossover.

A regular spacer will let the flaming hot exhaust lick up over the passenger side of the carb between the choke linkage and the secondary vacuum pot.

Let me see if I can find a pic...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Should pick up one of the Edelbrock 4V EGR plates, he can then throw a EGR block off plate on or throw a EGR valve on.

https://www.edelbrock.com/ford-4v-egr-plate-8053.html

Its what I thought of doing on my 302 but since my AFR Renegade heads don't have any exhaust ports on them for the intake manifold it would have been a waste of money.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2