Hey yall, new here!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hey yall, new here!

BullnoseHunter02
Hey guys, found this forum when i was searching around for my dream truck! I have fallen in love with the Bullnose trucks and am hopefully gonna buy one at the end of the summer if i make enough money. (im 16 aswell) So, ive looked around and from what i can tell, these trucks are hard to find, i cannot find any near where i live, the closest for sale is in illinois and its in pretty good shape. Ive pretty much gone through and practically memoried all the dealer brochures in my spare time! anyhow, ive heard about that 300 i6 that went in some of these trucks, it is apparently indestructible, im really split on if i should try and find a truck with an 8 or with the i6. (insurance ya know) any advice welcome!
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hey yall, new here!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you found us!  

Where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) and I'd be happy to put you on the map.

As for the 300, it is certainly a truck engine.  Lots of low-end torque.  Said to pull anything, just not terribly fast.  So I don't think you'll go wrong with one of them.

But, what are your plans for the truck?  How do you plan to use it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Im outside of Sainnt Louis Missour, Just mark me down as being in STL though, not gonna get real specific for privacy. The truck is gonna be a daily driver, ill probibly end up finding one that needs some work, so im planning on doing a slight restoration if it ends up needing it. The problem is finding a truck lol, there is legit nothing near me for sale, closest truck is in Staunton Illinois, its an 84 F250 that apparently came out of Arizona, its in great shape and they want like 1900. I called em and they told me it hasnt run in like 7 or 8 years, sooo.... ima try and talk my Dad into going and having a look at it over the summer hopefully! It doesnt appear to have any rust issues and it looks like a solid truck tbh. 1900 is a steal for how rare these are for me!
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, you are on the map.  In fact, it shows you residing in the house my son and DiL sold about a year ago.  And if you like ice cream, the shop across the street is wonderful.  

As for a truck that hasn't run in years, you are going to find that EVERYTHING is wrong with it and needs repaired.  I've pulled several out of fields or yards, and have vowed to never do it again.  In fact, unless it is to be parted out, I won't consider a truck that cannot be driven to ascertain what is wrong with it.

Saying it another way, the issue is that you will wind up spending far more on such a truck than you would on one that is being driven frequently.  At least on the latter you know that basic things like brakes work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
it looks like a solid truck but yeahm i see what yer sayin, they were telling me the fuek tank would need to be cleaned and fluids changed and stuff like that. I can post a link to it if ya want.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1983/ford/f250/100748707  here she is. looks are deceving i guess. it doesnt look that bad honestly.  No, i must not be on the right spot on the map then, our subdivision is across from some local ballfields. we dont have an ice cream shop near us! lol
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome to the group! I hope you find a suitable truck. I mean no discouragement whatsoever, but I will second what Gary is saying about vehicles that have been idled for many years. It may be a solid good project if you intend to go through EVERYTHING and rebuild the whole truck, but as a user that you want to work on a little at a time you may find yourself in over your head. Not to say that you can’t do it, but you should know what you are getting into, and realize that getting it reliable and useable will likely cost more than buying a better truck to start with. I certainly wouldn’t pay nearly 2 grand for something that’s been sitting. Be patient, and if you do go after the one in the ad I wouldn’t offer any more than about half of what he’s asking just to give you a jump on the basic parts you will need to get it running and safe enough to drive.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Okay. ill defenetly stay away from that rig then. My issue is that these trucks are extremely hard to find. most are in costal states and my folks dont want to drive 100s of miles to look at one. Anyhow, ill keep that advice in mind!
Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
i found my truck for 1250. it ran, but has issues. a few months ago i found one listed for 900, drove 5 hours and bought it for 500. it was all sorts of messed up. i ended up just using it for parts, and scrapped it, which i never want to do to one of these trucks again. if you keep your eyes on craigslist within a two hour radius, and look two or three times a week, i'd bet that you could eventually find something that runs and drives for the price of that one on classic auto trader. and i6's are very cool, as much as i like my 5.0.
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by BullnoseHunter02
BullnoseHunter02 wrote
Okay. ill defenetly stay away from that rig then. My issue is that these trucks are extremely hard to find. most are in costal states and my folks dont want to drive 100s of miles to look at one. Anyhow, ill keep that advice in mind!
I understand about local availability... and you can only purchase what is available and what is feasible for you to go look at. You just need to know what you are getting yourself into if you do go down that road, and don’t pay too much!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2