Help with wiring

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help with wiring

Dk46
I have started with trying to straighten out the complete mess of cut, tangled, and spliced wire all over this bronco. I have the evtm and it is a life saver, believe me. Today’s question is this, the wiring from the fuse block that should be hot in acc or run is only hot in run. The key switch feels fine as it turns but no juice unless you go all the way to run.  Again I really appreciate any and all help I can get.
Danny K
1982 Bronco
351W
Holley 600
Deleted EEC3
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help with wiring

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Danny, you might try checking the ignition switch adjustment.

Gary has outlined the way you stick a pin through the switch, to lock it, and then retighten the nut holding it to the column.

But you say it won't work in ACCY, and that may be down to a broken actuator rod.
The rod might push the switch into run & start, but not pull it back.

Just stick your head under there and work the key back and forth to see what it is, or isn't doing.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dk46
Danny - Jim has a point, it could be the adjustment of the ignition switch.  You can see how to adjust it here: Electrical/Ignition and on the Ignition Switch tab.  Or, it could be that the ignition switch itself is bad.

You can see from the diagram below that there is only one set of contacts in the switch that handles Accy, and those are the ones which feed Circuit 297, the black/light green hash wire.  But we know that section of the switch is getting power or Circuit 32 wouldn't get power and the truck wouldn't start.

So you could try adjusting the ignition switch, but I fear that it is bad.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Dk46 wrote
...the wiring from the fuse block that should be hot in acc or run is only hot in run.
Are you saying you get no change when you turn the key backward to ACC?  Study this diagram, its caption, and the relevant links in it:

Reply | Threaded
|

Dk46
Well after testing and adjusting its the switch itself .  Now another question. Im gonna put the cut off valve for the a/c. Does it matter which heater hose i put the valve on??  Thanks
Danny K
1982 Bronco
351W
Holley 600
Deleted EEC3
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it figured out.

As for the "cutoff valve for the A/C", I'm going to assume you mean you are installing a water shutoff valve in the heater hose line.  Right?  If so, then it doesn't matter which of the two hoses you put it in.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm going to assume low pressure cut out near the compressor.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Dk46 wrote
Does it matter which heater hose i put the valve on?
Functionally, no.  Stopping the coolant in one place within that circuit stops it everywhere in that circuit.

But it's better to block the hose coming from the intake - the hot/supply/PRESSURE side.  Blocking the cold side puts the heater core under slightly more pressure, which makes it more prone to leak or rupture.

The best way to do it is to use a 4-port valve, so coolant still flows.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The famous Ranger 4port valve mod?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Yeah, I thought about explaining all that.  But when I didn't know if it was really the heater hose he was talking about I took the easy way out.

And, the Ranger 4-port is a good mod.  I just have a cable-operated valve with no cable in Big Blue's supply-side heater hose and I turn it on in the winter and off in the spring.  But I really want to try my vacuum-operated mod, so......

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
And, the Ranger 4-port is a good mod.  I just have a cable-operated valve with no cable in Big Blue's supply-side heater hose and I turn it on in the winter and off in the spring.  But I really want to try my vacuum-operated mod, so......
If you "T" off the vacuum hose going to the servo-motor for operating the fresh air vent door [passenger side, under hood], the heater still works but the hot coolant is cut off when MAX COOL is selected.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Very true.  But, you still have heat in the Vent position.  And there are many times I'd like to have outside air temp coming through via Vent.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dk46
In reply to this post by Steve83
I already have the single port valve but can get the 4 port. Would the coolant not flow through the engine with the 2 port?
Danny K
1982 Bronco
351W
Holley 600
Deleted EEC3
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think all of the engines but the 4.9L/300 six have a bypass where coolant will flow w/o the heater.  Certainly the Windsors do.  So there's no problem blocking off the heater, meaning the valve you have (2-port?) will work.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But in my 460 the bypass only goes from intake to water pump.

Whereas the heater loop picks up at the head side of the thermostat housing.

I don't really know about the I-6
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I know of one 4.9L engine which has fine temperature control with one heater hose blocked during the warm months.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Dk46 wrote
Would the coolant not flow through the engine with the 2 port?
The engine isn't the issue; it's the heater core (and any sensors in the heater core loop, like EFIs have).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
In my onboard bag of tricks I carry a 1/2" copper freeze coupling, to bypass the heater core if it pops like it used to with a cracked head.

You can always take the heater out of the loop.
 Jim,