classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help with my 82 project

FuzzFace2
Dk46 wrote
Found out the hole just below the cam is a Oiler that the cam thrust plate covers. That plate has a groove in it to move oil to the end of the shaft and cam gear.
So the plate has a "wing" to block that port and has a path to oil that area with a LITTLE oil.

If you saw no oil psi right a way when it was running and shut her down you may be ok.
Put the plate back in place the right way and spin the pump with the drill. It should be hard to spin and get good psi if all is good. Do this before putting the rest of the motor together.

My motor ran great, 7200 shift rpm, after the no oil psi but I did shut her down right away.
Good luck.
Dave -----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Dk46
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Yeah, I have an electric and manual gauge. A mechanic friend recommended I pull and replace the pump. Said there is a pressure relief valve in there and if it’s bad it will move oil just not build pressure. Anybody had any experience with this???
Danny K
1982 Bronco
351W
Holley 600
Deleted EEC3
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There is a pressure relief bypass in the pump.
But the spring would have to collapse, or the valve get stuck open and not return.

There's always that one in a million...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Danny, if I were in your shoes I'd be testing for function as I dug into the engine piece by piece.
I think I'd put the thrust plate back on and loosen all the rockers.
I'd try turning both the cam and crank by hand (with a wrench, as the rings are going to be too much friction)

I'd push and pull on them looking for end play.

Have at the oil pump, I mean it's definitely suspect, but look for clues at every step.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dk46
Thanks for all the advice.  Gonna pull the oil pan and get to pump, and check everything as I go.  Anyone ever dropped oil pan without fully removing engine? I know I’ll have to remove mount bolts and lift it some
Danny K
1982 Bronco
351W
Holley 600
Deleted EEC3
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I hear it's possible with a 351 but I've never tried it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Dk46
Dk46 wrote
Thanks for all the advice.  Gonna pull the oil pan and get to pump, and check everything as I go.  Anyone ever dropped oil pan without fully removing engine? I know I’ll have to remove mount bolts and lift it some
If you are going to do that just pull the motor, put it on a stand and check all the bearings.
You going to oull the cam to check the cam bearings?
Put the plate on and spin the pump with a drill and see what you get. If it is low then pull the motor abd check the bearings.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100