Help with Top Door Seal/Weather Stripping

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help with Top Door Seal/Weather Stripping

Dyn Blin
In my tipping at windmills quest to quiet the cab, I recently purchased a pair of Dennis Carpenter's Top of Door Seals.

They arrived today and are well-constructed, with strip of adhesive under some peel-off tape and "pegs" to insert into the top of the door frame.

My truck obviously didn't come with these as I don't have a pre-drilled hole in the top of the door frame for the pegs to push through.

Can anyone assist with the positioning of the seal?  I guess I'm looking for how far "back" from the rear door edge I should start affixing the trim, and where I should drill the door frame for the single push-peg fastener for each strip.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help with Top Door Seal/Weather Stripping

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can get you pics tomorrow as Big Blue has that weatherstripping.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Well, I had an interesting find this morning.  Went out to Big Blue, camera in hand, and opened the driver's door - no extra weatherstrip.  Hmmm, I could have sworn.....  Yep, the passenger's door has it.

Pics below, but I can't feel any hole or locating pin through the foam, and surely I'd be able to feel the pin if it was there.  And the driver's door, which must have had the extra weatherstrip originally, doesn't have a hole.  So I'm pretty confident that the factory weatherstrip was just a glue-on piece.

In the first pic, the back edge of the weatherstrip is basically 5 3/8" to the edge of the door, although that's hard to gauge as the door has a bit of curve there.  However, in the second pic you can see that the front/bottom edge of the weatherstrip is even with the bottom of the top nut on the top hinge.

Hope that helps, but let us know how it goes.  I need to do that for Big Blue as I tilt at the same windmills.  Oh, if you need more pics just let me know.  I realize now that the ones I have don't really show where it is supposed to go and which way, although maybe the installation instructions do.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Thanks Gary, that's helpful.

Dennis Carpenter doesn't usually send instructions for simple items like this.  My guess is they think we're replacing something and have an example to emulate.

Then, as I stand there, I start to overthink it.  Like now, does the corner of the "L" point towards the cab or towards the outside of the door?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll get more pics in the morn.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see if these help.  In the first one (which needs to be rotated 90 degrees CW) you can see that the upgright part of the "L" goes against the cab when the door shuts.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Perfect Gary, thanks for the extra pictures. This will "seal the deal" for the door projects.

I'll show myself out

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me know how it goes.  I have to do that for BB, so want to learn any tips I can.