Help?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help?

Fordboy300
Okay so im really indecisive about a certain topic when it comes too swapping out my six for a 351w.   Recently i found a 351w out a 84 f150 on craigslist for 250 bucks (just the long block).  I am very tempted on buying it that is if the seller still has it.  My truck is a 86 and came with a 300.  I rebuilt the six when i was younger like 5 years ago to be exact.  Ive always wanted a V8 but ive grown to love the six.  Even thought the six is hopped up a bit sometimes when i hit the gas she doesnt go anywhere...well she does it just takes time.  

My truck is a not a show truck of any sort but i dont drive it in the winter for the past 4 years.  I haul and tow things every once in a blue moon.  We also have 86 f250 so thats the real hauler.  But i do take the truck to car shows and i love just driving it whenever i can during the spring and summer.  

But I've always loved the sound a 351w with a nice cam.
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Swapping to a V8 is a bit of work - and expense.  The engine stands/perches have to be changed, and the radiator's inlet and outlet are reversed so should be changed.  But, it is doable.

So it becomes what you want and can afford.  Building an engine costs a minimum of $2K, and the other bits will add to that.  So it does add up.  However, a V8 with a bit of a cam sure can sound sweet.  On the other hand, a six with split manifolds and dual exhaust can as well.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Thanks Gary,  Ill take this into to consideration.  This has been an should I or shouldn't I for a while.  
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I have many cars and trucks with V8s. My biggest is a 428 ina  '69 F100 with a 4 speed. But I also have two trucks with a 300 and another with a 240. The 240 is the 300s little brother. I love these engines. great low torque and mine move out just fine. I have the split manifolds on one of mine .  I'd keep the 6.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco