classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help to decode Duraspark 2 distributor numbers

Jesse3877
Hello,

My distributor, has the following markings on the housing: D0AF, 12131-A, and 5J16. What is the year and vehicle this came out of? I was thinking of making a vacuum advance adjustment however the vacuum canister nipple is too small for my 3/32 Allen wrench.
RedBull
1981 F100, 73' 351W, C6, 9" 3.00L
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help to decode Duraspark 2 distributor numbers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those are casting numbers, casting dates, etc.  The info about the components of the distributor would be on a tag under a screw, and contain a number like D5TE 12127—FA, or D5TE-FA as the 12127 is the generic number for a distributor and is assumed.

If your dizzy doesn't have a tag I can probably figure out which one you are supposed to have.  But that really doesn't help you 'cause it doesn't tell you any of the details about advance curves.

And, as you've discovered, not all vacuum advances were adjustable.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jesse3877
Thanks for your reply Gary. I’m now thinking this may be a Pre Duraspark 2 distributor housing. Probably a points distributor that was converted to electronic. It has a second hole in the can, so it was a dual vacuum canister. It’s obviously not adjustable and it currently provides 28° of advance. I’d like to buy a replacement adjustable canister. I see the crane Cans are quite expensive $45 but there a couple cheaper brands on rock auto for half the price.

Anybody have a good recommendation for a new adjustable canister?
RedBull
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Crane is all I've purchased.  But the single-diaphragm Motorcrafts are usually adjustable, so if you found one of those, even in a salvage, it should work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jesse3877
Good deal and thanks:)
RedBull
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The number to be conscious of is the one stamped on the advance plate in the bottom of the distributor.

This determines how much centrifugal advance the distributor will have and these plates have two slots, so by flipping it over you will get another option.

Centrifugal advance is double the plates number.  i.e.: 12=24 degrees.
Scott's recurve tutorial has the formula for this if you determine to weld up your slot.
There's a base width for the stop tab and then every 0.xxx" adds a degree.

I'm sorry, I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head.
But anyone will tell you, You start with the slot, then use springs to adapt how fast that comes in, THEN start adjusting using the vacuum canister.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jesse3877
Hello,

Thanks for your replay. I’m happy with my existing total mechanical timing. I run 10° initial and 35° total all in @3000rpm. So I know I have roughly 25° of centrifugal weights, maybe that’s a 12L or 13L??I haven’t physically looked at them yet nor the springs since I was happy with the mechanical curve. I just installed an aftermarket canister and will play around with it this week. I use ported vacuum as my current vacuum source and will see if I can adjust my canister to optimize light throttle driving. I may switch over to full manifold vacuum source and play around with it further to see the difference. 

All in all my existing timing seems decent but figured I could mess around and have some fun:) I’ll report back with the part number cannister I used if I feel like it has good adjustability and would recommend to others. 

On Jul 7, 2020, at 3:20 AM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]> wrote:

The number to be conscious of is the one stamped on the advance plate in the bottom of the distributor.

This determines how much centrifugal advance the distributor will have and these plates have two slots, so by flipping it over you will get another option.

Centrifugal advance is double the plates number.  i.e.: 12=24 degrees.
Scott's recurve tutorial has the formula for this if you determine to weld up your slot.
There's a base width for the stop tab and then every 0.xxx" adds a degree.

I'm sorry, I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head.
But anyone will tell you, You start with the slot, then use springs to adapt how fast that comes in, THEN start adjusting using the vacuum canister.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Help-to-decode-Duraspark-2-distributor-numbers-tp66192p66441.html
To unsubscribe from Help to decode Duraspark 2 distributor numbers, click here.
NAML
RedBull
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Jesse,
I'm glad to hear that you have a through understanding what's in play here.

If you're happy, that's great!  
I never mean to talk down to people, but I am pedantic (my sig on FTE was 'Pedant')

And that slot needs attention before you even set static timing.
Many people don't get that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.