Help identifying the fuel tank

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help identifying the fuel tank

86-350-460-dually
Hey everyone. I don't know if it's possible to identify a fuel tank like this, but I'm hoping maybe someone recognizes what vehicle it came off of, so I can find support straps for it.  We do not believe this is the stock rear tank.  Any ideas? All suggestions are welcome.

Adam

1986 F-350, Dually 4WD, C/C with the 460/7.5L
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help identifying the fuel tank

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Adam - That's probably a 33 gallon Bronco tank.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
My thought exactly, Bronco tank complete with skid plate.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

86-350-460-dually
Thank you both. Any suggestions for what year the bronco might have had that tank? I tried looking up 88 bronco on O'Reilly's website for tank straps and came up empty handed.  They only had the smaller tank straps.
Adam

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hard to tell, but the listings are here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/fuel-tanks.html.  And the Bronco is series "U".

Have you run it dry and refilled?  That should tell you what you have.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86-350-460-dually
It's dry now but the filler neck needs attention. Tried filling it up but it leaked all over
Adam

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
That looks much different than my 1985 Bronco tank and skid plate late which has the 32 gallon steel tank.

On the spreadsheet, it might be the 19/20 gallon one that is listed. I'm not trying to argue, but it just doesn't look anywhere near the same unless someone put a newer Bronco setup on it.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I really don't know as I've not been around the Broncos much.

Having said that, I have a brand new 38 gallon tank that is supposedly an upgrade for the Broncos.  It'll fit a pickup but sticks lower than the normal 19 gallon tank.  If you measure your tank we can compare it to mine and see if they are close.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
This post was updated on .
I can measure mine as it is still on the ground in front of the Bronco.

Okay, I ran out and measured my tank. It is approximately 22 inches from front to back, 16 inches top to bottom, and 32 inches from side to side.

William
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

86-350-460-dually
Thanks for measuring! That definitely helps. Ill go out and measure mine and see if we are in the same ballpark. I went ahead and had these straps ordered, not knowing if it'll fit or not, but I haven't paid for them, so we'll get to check it out first. They get here Friday evening.
Adam

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Welcome to the forum!  

Be mindful that a Bronco II is NOT a full sized (U Series) Bronco.

Also note that the frame rails of a C&C truck are narrower than a pickup in order to fit the standard dump, box, or whatever.. bed, supplied by after market manufacturers and upfitters

I am not sure about a 33gal Bronco tank, but I do know that my 19 gallon rear tank will barely fit between the rails.
It would certainly never fit between the rails of a cab and chassis incomplete vehicle.

Though I assume your tank is ok and you are only looking for the straps to hold it in.
Maybe a truck repair shop would be a better resource than an auto parts store?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
In reply to this post by 86-350-460-dually
That will be interesting to see how those fit. Is this on the F350? I see the RDW in the picture. The tank looks to be a composite/plastic type. Here is a steel Bronco tank.

William
Reply | Threaded
|

86-350-460-dually
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks for the info. If those straps don't end up fitting, we might be doing some DIY metal strap support thing-a-ma-jig. I might go to some truck repair place as well, although I am trying to keep the costs down on this, by doing the work myself.

Yes, it is on a cab/chassis, and it is a DRW truck. We have no clue what size of tank it is in the rear because right now there's a leak in the filler neck, so until I repair that, I won't have a clue of how many gallons the rear tank is.

Maybe home Depot might be my next stop, if those straps I ordered arnt the right size.
Adam

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Adam,
My reply was directed to your first and second sentences of this thread.

These trucks are over 30 years old, and you can't expect some kid at O'Reilly who wasn't born yet to have a clue.

I only meant to suggest that some place that fixes utility or landscape type trucks every day would know exactly where/what straps to get.
Not that you should bring it to the shop *for* repair.

Yeah, I've seen tanks held in with ratchet tie downs, even rope.
You gotta do what you gotta do to get it working.

This is the same reason I suggested looking at a <$10 pigtail (outlined in the TSB) before replacing your alternator for an unknown problem.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

86-350-460-dually
Shoot. I wasn't born yet either.
Adam

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think the plastic tanks are stock for cab and chassis trucks.

If you make a point of saying that, instead of "'86 F-350" you're more likely to find them.

Maybe Gary has access to some documentation specific to C&C trucks?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't find anything in the catalog that speaks specifically to fuel tanks cab & chassis trucks.  They must have used the F-series tanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I really don't think they did.

How would they fit between the narrower frame?

Maybe plastic came later, but I'm sure the F-450 I gutted had plastic tanks front and rear
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I may be missing it.  Here are all of the fuel tank entries in the MPC:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're right. I don't see it.

What would the designation be for a 4x4 CC?
F364?
 Jim,