classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help Organizing Website?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys - I think I'm a pretty well-organized guy.  In fact, there are those amoung you that will say "Yes, he has it, and it is in that drawer labeled XYZ."  

But, when it comes to the website, meaning the pages on the Garagemahal other than this forum, I don't think it is very well organized.  A case in point: Brandon just asked for info on the fasteners associated with the 351W engine.  So, if you were looking for that info, where would you look?  The Fasteners set of pages?  Or the Engines set of pages?

And where would you look for "speed control" info?  Would you think to look in "Underhood"?  Yes, perhaps half of the components are truly under the hood, but what about the electronic module and the horn pad which are in the cab?

So, I need someone(s) who is/are good at organization to step back from the trees and look at the forest, and then make some suggestions.  You don't really have to know how a website works.  Instead, look at what we have and try to come up with a way to organize it to make it easier to find things.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help Organizing Website?

1986F150Six
Administrator
On the RockAuto web site, if you use the search feature and type in what you are looking for, several catagories [is that what you call them?] change [go to bold] and you can look in each until you find the part.

The site kind of guides you to where the information is.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - Thanks, but the Garagemahal has a similar feature, if I understand what you are saying.  At the bottom of every page is a "Google Custom Search" line.  If you type in "cruise control" and hit enter you'll get the page shown below.  Everything above the faint line between Car Cruise Control and Bullnose Enthusiasts is what Google found on the outside, and below that line is what it found on the inside.

I frequently use that to find things I've put in a "logical place" but still can't find.    However, what I'm hoping to do it to figure out how to put things in "logical places" where everyone can find them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
First, I have no clue...  

What popped into my mind though, is that while I was looking to buy a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) I found that the four manufacturers put things in different places in their parts manuals.

For instance the chain would be found in the transmission section on one, but in the rear swingarm, wheels and tires and rear suspension on the others.

I'm thinking place them where Ford does in the manuals and fiche, seems some people (you) have these available, which could help those of us who don't have parts manuals yet.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hmmm, I think someone suggested that a year or two ago - and I didn't listen.  Let me see how I could incorporate that.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've outlined the master parts catalog, shown below, and I don't see it as being very helpful.  They have odd things grouped together, like:

170: Jacks, Speedometer, Cables  Huh?
180: Shock Absorbers and Heaters  Yeah, sure.  I see the connection.  NOT!

Anyway, you folks tell me what you think, please.

Master Parts Catalog Index

10: Wheels
        11: Hubs & Drums
20: Brakes
        22: Brakes, rear
        23: Brakes, booster
30: Front Axle & Suspension
        32: Front Axle & Suspension
        35: Steering Gear
        36: Steering Wheel
40: Rear Axle & Related Parts
        41: Rear Axle
        46: Driveshaft
        48: Coupling Shaft
50: Frame
        52: Muffler
        53: Front Springs & Stabilizer
60: Engine Parts
70: Transmission, Manual
A70: Transmission, kits
A71: Transmission, linkage
80: Radiator, grille, and cooling
        86: Fan, belt drive
90: Fuel Tank & Lines
        93: Fuel Pump & Gauge
        94: Fuel Pump, mounting
        95: Carburetor
                95A: Carburetor Assembly
        96: Air Cleaner
103: Alternator
110: Starter, Ignition Switch & Headlamp
120: Coil, Distributor, Spark Plugs
130: Headlamps, Parking Lamps, & Turn Indicators
140: Wiring, Main
        144: Wiring marking
150: Wiring, Clock, Lighter
160: Front Fenders & Apron
170: Jacks, Speedometer, Cables
180: Shock Absorbers and Heaters
190: Radio
197: Refrigerant Lines

Body:
000: Body Assemblies, Vents, Dash, Windshield, Instrument Panel
200: Front Door, Weatherstrips, Mouldings
260: Rear Door, Weatherstrips, Mouldings, Quarter Panel
400: Tailgate, Back Window, Roof
600: Seats, Hinges, Seat Tracks

Soft Trim Parts

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Wow!  
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, "Wow!"  I think we can do better than that.  In fact, my thinking is that the current method of organization is better than that.  But, I think the current way isn't as good as we can do, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How are the basic part numbers organized?

Is there some denominator that would make sense to most of us?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, let me say that the master parts catalog is the best thing since sliced bread, and I don't know how you fully disassemble and then successfully reassemble something as complex as these trucks w/o one.  But, the organization of the catalog isn't its strongest attribute.

The basic part numbers are supposed to follow the section numbering shown in the earlier post.  However, they seem to have run out of numbers at times and insert letters, like 17A254.  And, there are lots of exceptions to the numbering plan.  For instance, the first numbered section is Section 10 - Wheels.
 And, one would think that the first thing you would encounter in that section would be a listing of wheels.  However, the first thing is 1001 GASKET (REAR WHEEL BEARING RETAINER or REAR AXLE SHAFT).  But, Section 40 is Rear Axle!  

And then there are the weird combinations of "stuff" in one section.  Like Section 170 which includes jacks, speedometers, and cables.  So, a jack handle is 17081, a tachometer opening cover is 17187, and a speedometer cable tip kit is 17A254.

Or shocks that are in Section 180 so have the basic part number of 18124.  But heaters are there as well, which explains 18246 WINDOW SHADE KIT?

Anyway, basic part numbers are supposed to follow the section numbering.  Does that answer the question?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To help y'all see the overall outline instead of just viewing it in the menu I've typed it out and put it on a new page in Reference section: Website Outline.

I've already spotted a couple of things, but please tell me what you find.