classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help On The Show Planning

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I posted this in the Get-Together: September 16th - Be There! thread, and got no responses.  (Do you'se guys know you can click on the Topics View button and see a chrono list of all posts?)  So, I'm bringing it out of the closet and asking for your help since I'll need to have trophies made if we are going to do this.

Ok, today's question is whether to have prizes for the "show".  Bruno2, aka The Mute as he hasn't posted here after signing up, says we need prizes.  Which means we need categories.  So, what categories should we have?  I'm totally new to this.  Here's a stab, out of the blue:

Stock: The closest to stock that shows up.  But, to be fair, do we need to give a year range?  In other words, a showroom-new 2017 is likely to win that one easily.  However, I think the intent is to go back several years where most trucks would have been modified in some way.

People's Favorite: Let the people vote.
Best Paint Bruno2 says the engine has to be installed
Best Engine

For background I contacted the host of a car show in my home town, and here's what they have:

Open Class
Pre '49
Post '49  (Hmmm, so you can't have a '49 in their show?  
Mopar: Obviously we don't need no SuperBees
Chevy: Nope, don't need no French Fries
Under 21: Intended for the driver, not the vehicle
Best Paint
Best Engine:
Unfinished: Bruno2 says that applies to all our trucks!

And, today I talked with the lady running the car show in Skiatook.  They have lots of classes by year, but my guess is we won't have enough depth in any year to make that worthwhile, unless we did best Bump, best Dent, best Bullnose, etc.  Anyway, some that they have which we might consider are:

Best Daily Driver
Best Lifted
Best Lowered
Best Monster Truck
Best Paint
Best Wheels
Best Interior

So, what do you think?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help On The Show Planning

CountryBumkin
I wish I could attend - but I'm still working, and its a little too far (this time).

But regarding prizes or contests - I would say a lot of that depends on how many trucks are attending. Do you have a count of attendees (a RSVP number)? And how many of those are driving in as opposed to flying in?

It would be awkward to have to give out ten prizes if there are only five trucks at the event (I make an exaggeration for this point).

I assume a lot of truck owners/FTE members don't have perfectly restored trucks so they wont win anything in best of show, unless you have something like the "most mods" (from engine and suspension to electrical (i.e. 3G, headlight Relay, stereo, seats, etc.); the highest number of (non-moderator) posts on the FTE forum award; the best "daily driver" award (most comfortable, safe, fully functional, etc.).  Truck that came the furthest to attend (without a breakdown ); etc.

Then anyone attending with a regular truck has a chance to win something.

Would be nice to have some workshops maybe - like how to do some of the mods written about, maybe some basic troubleshooting tips, if there is any interest in that sort of thing.

Most of these suggestions depend on a somewhat high turnout to be worth the effort. IMO.
-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
My first thought, Gary, is to keep stuff in the same general timeframe era (which it sounds like we are pretty much at).

How many cars/trucks/whatever are coming? This is sounding lots bigger than I had imagined...

Do WE have to come up with trophies & prizes?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mike - I wish you could make it.  Good thoughts.  I haven't tallied the trucks, but to this point I expect: David's Little Red, Big Blackie, Eli's truck, Paul's truck, DeWayne's truck, Jon's, Jonathan's, Cash's Carlos, Keith Parker's (I need to remind him), Steven Fox's, Spitwad's Superduty, Art Scott's '55, Dane's Superduty, Brandon's whatever, James' Pickle, Scott's '78, and JW Timmerman's truck, Big Blue, Dad's truck, and Blue. That's 20 and doesn't account for anyone else.  So we could easily have 30 to 40 trucks.

I like the longest distance idea, which Jonathan and David would be vying for - unless Luke drives Big Blackie here from Washington.  And best daily driver may be better than stock.

As for most FTE posts, I think I like the idea of it being the most posts in this forum.  

On workshops, David is going to demonstrate blowing smoke.    And I'm ready to talk about the importance of setting a goal or vision on a project and sticking to it.    Tim will talk to anyone about engines.  And Scott is doing how-to's on welding and cutting.  Plus, I plan to talk about the forum and web site - although it really best applies to the Bullnose fans.

Chris - We don't need to fund anything.  I'm planning on doing that.  But, I do realize that the car show in town charges $25/vehicle and I'm not charging anything.  And they have sponsors, including the National Guard who is funding the Mac's bbq lunch for the participants.  (I'm hoping to have a food truck.)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys - I'm still struggling with what classes/categories to have in the show, so I am reluctant to introduce another question.  However, I will nonetheless as I know you can process several ideas at once.  

Below is an aerial view of our church's facilities.  I'm planning to put Big Blue across the entrance from the street to the east lot, with a sign on him pointing west to the entrance.  We will use the east lot for the trucks being shown, the swap meet, and the two "vendors" - Tim Meyer on engines and Scott Ringler with Miller welders.  (But, my paint/body man may want to bring a vehicle that demonstrates his wares and we could put it with the vendors.)

Visitors will park in the west lot, which is somewhat limited so we should put whatever vehicles we have that aren't in the show in the grass to the west of the gym, although there's now a volleyball court taking up part of that, or to the north of the gym.  Registration will be under or close to the breezeway, and we will keep the road leaving the east lot to the north open for people who need to take their truck out before the show is over.

The gym has the restrooms and may have the food - we are working out the details but hope to have the church's youth group selling hamburgers, hot dogs and drinks.  And, we could use the gym for seminars if we wanted.  For instance, I've volunteered to discuss the effects of not adhering to a vision/goal when "restoring" a vehicle, and that might best be done inside.  However, David's smoke-blowing demonstration will be outside with his truck.

I had originally thought we would line the trucks up by year, but now I realize they'll come in at all different times so that won't be possible.  But, if we have classes/categories then we need to have something printed that tells the viewer what class/category the truck is in.  Hmmm, the plot thickens.....

So, what do you think of the plans?  And, what categories/classes should we have?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, more HELP is needed on the show planning.

Here's a possible layout for the "paddock".  I've drawn in where I think the trucks will go, with the point of the arrows being the front of the trucks.  I think I like the alternating style on the right so the bumpers can actually be into the stall in front of them.  That way people can easily walk between the front of the trucks to see the engines.

And, that leaves more room for the tailgates to be down and we could leave the swap meet stuff in the beds if we wanted to.  But, if someone is bringing so much stuff that it won't easily be seen in the bed, then we could put up some of the church tables beside the truck to hold the overflow.

By using every other stall, but using the lines to keep some order, that gives room between the trucks to open the doors, walk around them to view them, etc.  And, it still gives us room for 47 trucks as shown, and we could surely squeeze a few more in.  I doubt we will have that many, but at least we have some room.

Oh, and Big Blue is shown where he is as that is the furthest south that I captured in the picture.  But in reality he will be closer to the street in order to block the driveway as we don't want people driving in there.  The entrance will be in the upper left of the picture, as shown, and registration will be there as well.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I'm with you gary, I like the staggered pattern on the right. It gives you the most individual space and possibly better angles for taking pictures if they are not nose to nose. Tailgates out is a definite plus for displaying swap meet items. I'm truly bummed about not being able to bring my '81 but at least I can come this time.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  Yes, staggering the trucks also gives room to take pics, and I hadn't thought of that.  Good point.

I understand the hopes and plans of bringing a truck to a show.  I had planned to take Dad's to the show in my/its home town this year.    But, there's always next year.

And, while I may have your attention, I've been planning on using the 3x3" self-stick pads, like Post-It Notes, to write the registration number on for the truck so people will know what # to write down for the voting.  But, will that give the people enough room to write anything else they want the people to know about their truck?  Or, will they come with info boards already?  Or should I supply something?

I'm a newbie at this!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The plan is just fine, Gary. Go with what you have proposed and don't think any more about it... you have too much on your plate, already!

I like just placing the swap meet items in the bed.

Just give all truck entrants (2) 3X3" stickies... one for the registration # and one for a self description.

David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
2 stickies - that'll work.    Thanks.

As for things on my plate, I can't even find the plate!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the banners, arrow signs, and ballots yesterday.  The banners are 3' x 8' and should be easy to see.  The arrows will point to the entrance, which is around the corner.  I think this thing may actually happen!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I thought you were supposed to be driving now.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Jonathan - I thought you were supposed to be driving now.  
The first leg of the trip was the shorter one. I left at noon after I slept in to reverse my night schedule, then walked the dog, fed the iguana, the cats and the fish... (biologists! 🙄). That put me at my sister's house at 8pm New Mexico time. Tomorrow is the longer leg, I will be up before the sun and no zoo to take care of!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Drive safely and we will see you this afternoon. đź‘Ť

David and Natalie were to make it to west of Memphis last night, but were running late due to some defugalties, as Dad would have said, but I'll let David explain tonight.

Tim is on the road and also should be here this evening.

As for gypsies Bill and Chris, they've been wandering all over Oklahoma finding closed up Ford dealerships. They even found one in Ponca City where we lived for 12 years - and didn't know it existed. I've driven past it many times and never noticed the Ford script in the windows. Anyway, they should be here this afternoon as well. Let the party begin!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, the 2017 Garagemahal Ford Truck Show is history. . As explained in the Picture Gallery post, we had 15 trucks and 48 ballots turned in, which means we had a good number of visitors.

Things went pretty much as planned, but there's always room for improvement, so I've polled a number of people who were there and got the following. But if anyone has further suggestions let's get them recorded here for next year's show.

Advertise in some of the publications, like Hemmings and some of the for-sale ones, which have some free sections.
Advertise in the for-sale on-line things, like Brandon did, but earlier.
Advertise on more of the Facebook groups, like FTE and Big Block if the allow it.
Have several people, with very visible vests or t-shirts w/a Garagemahal show logo on them, registering trucks, showing people where to park, handing out ballot blanks, etc.
Shade!  An awning with chairs and maybe with a fan and a mister.  A place to gather and talk.
Bring at least some of the food/drink sales outside, like the drinks. Under an awning.
Get it more organized, or more organized looking.  Perhaps put trucks around the outside rather than hodgepodge in the center. And put the trucks that are expected to be there for the whole of the show close to the street so people driving by can see them.
Have a Registrar that signs people in.  S/he would have a vest/t-shirt and be "official", and would have the vehicles that weren't for show park in the West lot.
Make it 10 to 2, not 4!
Have a layout board showing where things are
Use colored cones designating areas for eras of trucks
Have a megaphone to get people's attention for things, like the trophy presentations
Take more pictures, especially of the trucks.  Probably ought to have a designated photographer for that.

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Gary,

The thing that struck me as odd and is maybe a turnoff for some is your truck blocking the driveway entrance to the parking lot, THAT would turn me off if I were driving down the street and wanting to get in.

Yeah, I saw the arrow signs leading people around and through the breezeway, that just seemed really convoluted and inconvenient to me.

TMI had a nice setup with awnings and tables as did the welders, more stuff like that might help. Have you ever noticed how car dealers have balloons & colored flags & whatnot to make themselves visible? *hint* *hint*

Myself, I was overwhelmed by the humidity; my shirt was sticking to my body until I took it off, I had a really hard time with that but I'm a foreigner, I don't know how Jonathan was able to wear blue jeans like that. A garden hose with a sprayer would have been well-used by me - seriously, I would have done that, many times.

Places to sit would have been nice, especially in the shade... maybe a waitress giving out complimentary fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them would be cool, too. ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
"Myself, I was overwhelmed by the humidity; my shirt was sticking to my body until I took it off, I had a really hard time with that but I'm a foreigner, I don't know how Jonathan was able to wear blue jeans like that. A garden hose with a sprayer would have been well-used by me - seriously, I would have done that, many times." [quoted from Chris's post]

For any of you who might wonder what this looked like, look to the right side of the photo [see attached link].

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n1782/IMG_5503.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ctubutis
Chris:

That was a dry, but hot, day in Oklahoma's variable September weather.  But next year we will order in a cooler, dryer day - just for you.  

On the layout of the parking lots, plural, and how to get in, to some extent it is a question of safety.  If we have the casual observers driving into the lot where we have the "show" trucks, swap meet, and the "vendors" like Tim and Scott we could have some problems.  However, if we had the right ropes or cones we could allow the public to come in and stay to the east, meaning the side that Scott's welders were on.  But Scott was over there to stay away from the building while people were welding and cutting.  And Tim was on the west side so he didn't have the afternoon sun coming under his awning.  So we have some constraints, but can review the layout for next year's show.

As for the balloons and colored flags, since we now have the banners and signs which will be reused for next year we could think about other things.  It would be cool if a Ford dealership wanted to bring some things up to show, do some advertising, and bring the big ballons.  So, I just opened up a dialog with Bill Knight Ford, which is where I bought my truck.  

As for places to sit, awnings, mister, etc, that is already on the must do list.  The fifth bullet above says "Shade!  An awning with chairs and maybe with a fan and a mister.  A place to gather and talk."

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
"Myself, I was overwhelmed by the humidity; my shirt was sticking to my body until I took it off, I had a really hard time with that but I'm a foreigner, I don't know how Jonathan was able to wear blue jeans like that. A garden hose with a sprayer would have been well-used by me - seriously, I would have done that, many times." [quoted from Chris's post]

For any of you who might wonder what this looked like, look to the right side of the photo [see attached link].

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n1782/IMG_5503.jpg
I am just now finding these replies... boy, am I ugly & creepy-looking.

But it was really warm & somewhat agonizing, really muggy (but the 96% stuff I later encountered was lots worse).

Nevertheless it was fun and I'm glad it happened. :) My apologies for the display of suffering & agony.
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the balloons and colored flags, since we now have the banners and signs which will be reused for next year we could think about other things.  It would be cool if a Ford dealership wanted to bring some things up to show, do some advertising, and bring the big ballons.  So, I just opened up a dialog with Bill Knight Ford, which is where I bought my truck. 
Gary,

Bill & I met with a Parts Manager over there named Jay Estes during our excursion, I have his business card.