10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help Me Please!!!

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Guys, I am so frustrated and need some help, even if it’s just a word of encouragement. This truck is giving me grief all the way. Just knew I’d have it running yesterday but nooooo…..

The following video is my truck with a bad pickup coil. Basically, new faulty pick up coil that would not allow me to run my vacuum advance. In this video the intake had been replaced and the Edelbrock 600 CFM carb had been rebuilt.  The point here is that the truck started and idled fine with the carb and old fuel pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyGvWO22nr0

Since this video, I have replace the water pump, timing chain and fuel pump. Got it all buttoned up yesterday and could hardly get it to run. Extremely rich even had fuel in the secondary's. Pulled the #1 plug to check for TDC, as I had thought maybe I was off when I stabbed it. I can’t remember why but I had pulled it after the above video. The plug was fuel soaked. See photo.

Now, I’m thinking perhaps that the PSI of my new mechanical fuel pump is more than my carb can handle which seems strange to me, as it's a stock pump rated at 6 PSI.

Here's the fuel pump I ordered: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8420728&cc=1121678&jsn=4

Thoughts and advise desired, please!!!

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Help Me Please!!!

Rembrant
Machspeed wrote
Guys, I am so frustrated and need some help, even if it’s just a word of encouragement.
I cannot offer any technical expertise here, but I can offer you the words of encouragement.

There are some really smart guys on here that know this stuff very well, and they WILL help you fix it. Have to go step by step. I haven't seen them not be able to fix something yet.

I struggled with a bad vacuum leak and incorrect carb and ignition settings for a long time before finally getting it all sorted out.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Yes, you have something wrong with either the carb or the fuel pump.

If you changed the water pump, timing chain, and fuel pump then it is surely the pump.  But if the float stuck open on the carb it might be that.

Pull the coil wire so it can't backfire in your face, look down the carb with the choke open, and have someone crank it over a bit.  I'm going to guess that you will see fuel spill into the intake.  If so, whack the carb at the fuel inlet with a wooden mallet or plastic hammer - something to give it a jar w/o marking it.  That might cause the float to release, so try turning it over again.

If that doesn't do it you have two choices: pull the top off the carb to see if the float is stuck, or put a pressure regulator on.  Six psi is at the limit of what an Eddy wants, so it is possible it is the pump.

In any event, hang in there!  You are just ready to be done with this round!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
My "stock" pump was putting out 7+ psi, until I adjusted the pressure regulator.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't seem to have any problems with my Carter mechanical pump and Edelbrock AVS.

But I agree you should put a gauge in place of the carb and see how much pressure you have with it deadheaded.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Well finally, this little venture is done. Removed the new fuel pump, cleaned up the old and put it back on and he purred like a kitten. My son even remarked that it never started so easy and sounded so good. I should have had this truck out of my shop two weeks ago but it fought me the whole way....bad quality replacement parts, broken parts, and ill fitting parts. This has been an example of what can go wrong, always goes wrong....LOL!

Thanks Gentlemen!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad to hear you've got it fixed, John!  

Did you even bother to gauge it?
Can you get your $ bqck?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Congrat's!  

Don't know why I didn't think to suggest using the old fuel pump.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
No, I didn't Jim. The fuel line coming off my carb has a place to add one and I will be doing so. Doubt I can send the pump back, not sure how I could justify it through Rock Auto. I am very curious as to how much fuel pressure the old pump is putting out though.

Thanks Fellas!!!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's interesting to see that your pump has no return line, like mine on the 460.
 Jim,