Hello!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello!

Lawsonej
Appreciate your adding me to this forum!

I have an 85 f150 with a 302!  It was my great grandpas truck briefly!

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from the folks in this group!

The truck It only has 48,000 original miles!  So I am happy about that...

Less happy about the 2bl feedback carb on top.  This truck has set for a long time but is in pretty good shape.  Somehow through the years, it appears to be out of time.  When it cranks, compression sounds weird and it blows white smoke out of carb, no hits...im less worried about the timing but more worried about....

Seems almost everybody that ive searched around for has retro fitted a regular 2150 2bl, with an either vac advance or an hei or durapark system.  My current is the icm mounted distributor type.  If im correct this requires a new intake, (which I have)  running wires for new igniton and making sure all vac and linkage fits up.  I am unclear however on how much smog equipment people keep on the truck still.  The intake manifold elminates the EGR correct?  Do people keep smog pump?  MAP?  All the vacuum line and sensors aside from normal ones like brake booster?  

I just want the truck to run, It is going to have simple 30 min or less drives to hardware and other places.  Are there enough parts around to keep feedback system running?  Do the sensors hold up?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello!

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome!  

It's unfortunate, but the feedback system is pretty much 'all or nothing'.
EGR is actually good to have. It greatly increases the advance you can run without spark knock.

Generally the sensors hold up, but the older distributor mounted TFI modules were known to fail from heat.
We have a bunch of members from strict emissions states like California who must run their truck as it was delivered.
They seem able to get the whole feedback system working.

If you don't have restrictions like that and want to eliminate your computer/distributor/feedback carb/MAP sensor please consider offering them to another member that desperately needs them.

Duraspark II was found on almost all of these 49 state trucks before 1984.
Finding the correct wiring harness can be difficult and aftermarket kits are expensive and incomplete.

The all in one HEI ignition is a fairly simple solution if you have some experience with older automotive electric systems and tuning.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Lawsonej
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Lawsonej
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Im definitely considering the delete process.  In ohio, they havent been to restrictive!  I will definitely hold on to the old parts and share with the team.  Appreciate your suggestions and the reply. Will probably go the hei route!