classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello, new member, '84 F250 and '86 F250

duramaxmatt
Hi Everyone,
My name is Matt Rodgers and I have two trucks.  The '84 is my Dad's truck who recently passed.  I have realized I need to make a project out of it and make it like new.  It will be a couple year project with my young kids, in the hope they will learn and enjoy the process.

The '84 is a single cab, 6.9L IDI, 4 wheel drive, manual.  It started the first 15 years of it's life in California, where I grew up.  However the last 20 years have been hard on it, with body decaying quite badly.  My buddy who is a 50 year body man has said it's not worth it.

I purchased the '86 a few years ago.  It's a Supercab Lariat.  Has the 460, manual, 2WD.  It's clean from Georgia.  The engine runs decent but is original and needs rebuilt.  The gas engine does nothing for me.  It has dawned on me that what made Dad's truck really special was color, 4WD, diesel, big tires, family truck.

Therefore I am going to begin the hard process of converting the '86 to 4WD/diesel.  In doing so, it will be a frame off restore.  I will need all the help I can get:)  I am in no hurry and want to make this a special project with my kids.  As the truck itself is special for me, being the truck I grew up with.

Thanks for listenting.
Matt Rodgers (Lodi, WI) '84 (Dads): Single cab F250, 6.9L IDI, 4WD, manual, completely stock '86 (Project truck): Supercab F250, Lariat, 460 (converted to Dads 6.9L IDI), 2WD (converted to Dads 4WD), will be looking for 4" suspension lift, and will be a frame off restore project with my young kids.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello, new member, '84 F250 and '86 F250

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Matt!  Glad you joined.  

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and if we had a city or zip we could put you on it.  Maybe you are close to one of us?

As for the project, that sounds wonderful.  Your father's truck and getting your kids involved.  That will be special!

Hope you'll start a thread on the restoration.  We'll follow along.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

duramaxmatt
Thanks Gary!  Home location is Lodi, WI.  I'll add that to my signature.

Both trucks have not been touched.  Kind of nervous tearing into them.  But Dad's hasn't started in 3 years (haven't tried).  Last time it ran, it was definately tired.  First goal is to yank the engine and get it rebuilt.  That will be my first question to the forum.  Recommendations:)  Where shall I post that question?
Matt Rodgers (Lodi, WI) '84 (Dads): Single cab F250, 6.9L IDI, 4WD, manual, completely stock '86 (Project truck): Supercab F250, Lariat, 460 (converted to Dads 6.9L IDI), 2WD (converted to Dads 4WD), will be looking for 4" suspension lift, and will be a frame off restore project with my young kids.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome Matt

If it a project you can start it in the "project" area.
If its a few questions that is part of a project you could ask in the main area and like it in the project thread if wanted.

So if it is a question on the diesel motor could be in the main area and when your start the project link the motor in it.
I would guess the question is rebuild what you have in the truck now or remanf.?
I would find a shop that can / will take on the diesel and get a price and do the same for the remanf.
Good luck.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by duramaxmatt
Welcome! Glad you found us 🙂. Being a 1984, the engine would have press-in piston oilers (if it’s the original block). These are obsolete along with the install and alignment tools. A very skilled person can gently remove them and put them back with red loc-tite, but the consequences of a poor job is that a piston oiler could fall out, flatline your oil pressure and destroy your brand new rebuild. Whether you rebuild it yourself or have it done, you might want to source a late 6.9 block with bolt in piston oilers (check the block serial number), or build a 7.3 IDI. I would also skip a reman from Jasper. I don’t know if it’s still an issue, but they used to repair cavitation cylinders with sleeves and did not step them. The high compression caused these sleeves to drop. Warrantee or not, you don’t want this. The one guy who will give you a superlative engine from stock to high horsepower monster is Justin Anderson at IDI Performance in WA. He isn’t inexpensive, and there is a lead time, but his quality is second to none. Even if you don’t use him for a rebuilder, you might want to check out his parts. He has really nice stuff. Please post a thread of your build and I will follow along 🙂

https://idiperformance.com/
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by duramaxmatt
Welcome Matt!  

We're big on projects here, especially family oriented ones.
Whether passed down or bonding with children.
You seem to have BOTH sides covered!  

It's going to be very helpful that you have your dad's complete truck to begin this conversion.
The harness, radiator support, etc are key to pulling this off.
Add the fact that they are both 250's and it seems not so challenging, but may be intimidating to dive in that deep.

I assume your bodyman buddy is going to replicate your dad's paint scheme?

I hope that both you and your children learn and grow together through this.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.