9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from SD

T150vee
This post was updated on .

1986 F150 302 EFI 4 speed

Hello my name is V. and I am from South Dakota. My journey for a collectible classic started about a year and a half ago from some taunting and prodding from my brother. I can't say he is all to blame though, because getting a(nother) pickup truck has always been in the back of my mind.
There has only been a few years in my whole driving life where I did not have a pick up truck. It was very hard for me to give one up as my daily driver. But now I found myself in a situation where I can afford to have a little fun and also keep my regular vehicle as my -- I hate to say this-- dependable vehicle. I say this only as I have only had this truck for a few months and have not  put 200 miles on it. I am sure I am being skeptical, after all it is a bullnose!
So I start my journey here and I'm sure I will come up with some real doozy questions because the truck is slightly quirky, but it something that I find indearing. It has character. Some of the fun things I have noticed are electrical/lighting in nature and I am pretty clueless about all that!
So far I have put a new battery and cables in it, restored the emergency brake and because it has a four inch body lift, I have added a aluminum cowl for the radiator airflow which has helped immensely with cooling and slightly with performance.
The interior needs a little TLC, which I am looking forward to tackling, it needs some slight body work but the money pit will be the bed, which needs the front and rear sills replaced, along with the wood. Other than that just a good quality paint job, with a few inexpensive surprises, I hope. The overall condition of the vehicle is pretty amazing. It did come from the high dessert of Oregon, so very little rust, just a faded tired paint job.

Thank you all for this wonderful forum. I have already learned a lot.
 V from SD
1986 Flareside 302 EFI 4 speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from SD

Gary Lewis
Administrator
V - Welcome!  

That's a beautiful truck.  But, I wish I could see it better.  How 'bout editing your post and where you see the code that looks like this but with < and > before and behind it: "nabble_img src="yourpicturesname" border="0"/".  Add width="100%" to make it look like "nabble_img src="yourpicturesname" border="0" width="100%"/".  The addition of the "width" statement will make it as big as any of the devices we are viewing it on can handle.

And, tell us more about the aluminum cowl?  Pictures even?

As for the electrical issues, start a new thread/topic in the main part of the forum and ask questions about them.  We will help you through resolving them.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

T150vee
 I hope this picture is better!
 V from SD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Much better!  And I was right, that's a beautiful truck.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by T150vee
Beauty of a truck! Well done! I have a thing for the Flaresides, and I really like the tu-tone paint jobs of that era as well. My truck is an optionless plain jane by comparison.

Tires look pretty tall...35's?

Wife and I passed through SD on a motorcycle trip in 2011. It was an in one end and out the other kind of trip. Snapped some pics of Rushmore (from the road) and the Sturgis sign, but otherwise kept on truckin'.
Wish we had had more time to explore the Black Hills.

Keep us posted on the truck progress. I have to rebuilt the bed on my truck as well. Winter 2018 project.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By the way, V, why not drive it down for the big show/swap meet in Sept?  Details here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/2018-Garagemahal-Ford-Truck-Show-Planning-f8328.html

Reply | Threaded
|

T150vee
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Here is a photo of the cowl. I am very pleased with the outcome. Makes it look custom! there are a couple of places  that sell these; Octane Race Products and Lyon Performance. The niche is dirt trackers.
 V from SD
Reply | Threaded
|

T150vee
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thank you , I sure am proud to own it.
I sure understand the "thing" for flaresides! I think there is no such thing as a plain Jane flareside.
The tires are 33's, we will see how they hold up on the gravel roads out here on the prairie.
You must come back and see more of this beautiful state. Even NE South Dakota has special spots which are uniquely beautiful. Although I must admit my favorite part of the state is the Badlands. There is always something to see here, just don't come in the winter unless you like to ice fish or goose hunt.
I will surely keep you posted!
 V from SD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by T150vee
Now I understand.  Thanks!