classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from Edwards, CO

mlane
Hello,

I am new to the forum, my rig is an 84 F 250 4x4, lifted with 35" tires and a 460 4 spd. with an Edelbrock carb.  Nicknamed the War Wagon as she is still pretty rough.  The kid I  bought it from never turned a wrench or so it seems so I am in the process of sorting it out.  Immediate needs are electrical (needs engine wiring harness) and oil leak(s).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from Edwards, CO

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You did get in.  Good!  Welcome!  

Post up some pics.  But, the max pic size is 1Mb w/o clicking one of the "resize" buttons.

Oil leaks.  Yuk!  Big Blue has them in spades and the engine is coming out this fall to fix them - as well as a few other things.

What's wrong with the wiring harness?

Just looked up Edwards.  I'll bet you have lots of outdoor opportunities.  I'm hoping to get up to Ouray with Big Blue next year to take some of the roads like the Alpine Loop.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mlane
I am in!  Valve covers as well as the dip stick needs replacement as it is leaking out of there as well.  As far as the electrical too many places where the insulation has cracked and exposed wire, I assume from oil and heat exposure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The pan/dip stick issue is a problem with Big Blue as well.  I have a later model pan going on where the dip stick has an o-ring to seal instead of that nut.

On Dad's engine the gasket between the adapter that is riveted to the pan and the pan itself failed.  I drilled the rivets out, tapped the adapter, and used The Right Stuff to make the seal.

As for the harness, when they get that bad you have no choice but to replace them.  But they aren't easily found.  Good luck.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mlane
I am realizing that, kwik wire looks to be the most reasonable but I don't need the whole shooting match just the engine section.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you have any salvages nearby?  Any wiring harness for a DS-II ignition system can be made to work, although for a perfect fit it needs to be for a 460.  However, all the DS-II harnesses had the same wiring, it is just that the sending units, like for oil pressure and temp, were in different places, as was the distributor.  So the length of the wires may be wrong.

Plus, if you have a factory tach a harness from a 300 six won't have the ground that tells the tach to go into 8 cylinder mode.  But that can easily be added.