classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from Arizona!

Kevin
Hello Enthusiasts!

My name is Kevin and I hail from Phoenix, AZ.   Yes, Gary, you may add me to the members map.      You can drop my pin at 32nd St and Shea Blvd.

I bought a 1985 Ford F-150 at the end of June.   She has been a ranch truck (see pic below at her prior home/ranch near Salome, AZ) for a number of years and her most recent owner described her as "rough and ready".   I believed the rough part.

My 'project' is to get her cleaned up and running reliably over the next year or two with the idea of leaving her at our Summer place up in Michigan.   I am a complete novice, but I am hoping the effort will be some combination of what I can study/attempt/learn along with the occasional paid professional.

I look forward to the experience and community of the forum.   Thanks!

-Kevin

1985 F-150 351W 4SPD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from Arizona!

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Kevin
Kevin - Welcome!  

You've obviously been reading the mail as you knew I'd ask about the map.  Well, you are on it.  

You've come to the right place as we love to help.  And we were all newbies at one point, so don't look down on you.

Summer place in Michigan?  In the UP?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Kevin
Gary Lewis wrote
Summer place in Michigan?  In the UP?
Yes, a little town called Brimley near Sault Ste Marie if you know the area.  
1985 F-150 351W 4SPD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I don't know the area.  Just know of it from others I've talked to.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Randy
Welcome. I'm a new member as well.  I've spent some time reading through some of the old threads on this site and am impressed by the knowledge and also the civility of the people here.

I've only been to Michigan once. That was two summers ago for a wedding on the beach on Lake Huron near Tawas. It was quite pretty. And cool too. I can see why people would have summer places up there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Kevin wrote
Hello Enthusiasts!

My name is Kevin and I hail from Phoenix, AZ.  
Hi Kevin,

Welcome aboard! I passed through Phoenix a small handful of times on business trips back around 2005-2007. I was never there for very long, but I did take a full day to myself one time and hiked to the top of Camelback, and that was a great adventure. I've passed through Michigan a couple times, but have not stepped foot on to the UP. From what I've read, mostly in motorcycle magazines, it's quite nice up there.

So, what's the scoop on this newly acquired Bullnose?...
We need details and plans...lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome aboard!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome to the forum, Kevin!  

So please do tell us about the truck.
Specs and any history.

How long have you been driving it?
Anything you need to fix, right off?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kevin
First, thanks to all for the warm welcome.   I can tell this will be a friendly and educational place.   As for AZ and MI, I grew up in Phoenix and love it, but there is little here for normal people in the Summer.   Tomorrow, Sep 4, is supposed to be 110.    Contrast that with Brimley which will be 63.   Sadly, my wife is the one who gets to 'summer' up there as I only get a couple weeks and then it's back to work.

Anyway, once I hatched this plan my brother-in-law told me to find a truck that was halfway through a restoration.   So that's what I tried to do.  Below are the pertinent details from the ad.   (At least I thought they sounded pertinent.)   Some of this goes right over my head.  I am sure most of the members here could deduce more in 5 minutes looking at a picture of under the hood than I could in half a day with a Haynes manual.

Engine has been fully rebuilt with new lunati cam, Edelbrock performer intake and summit carb and distributor, new fuel tank, new starter new radiator.   Engine had new pistons and rings was bored to 40 over and heads where resurfaced and valves were reseated. Crank was polished and lunati cam with new lifter installed, camshaft bearing replaced. New oil pump, new rotors and pads on front. Rebuilt power steering pump, new pitman arm new tie rod ends inner and outer. Front suspension has been overhauled with new rubber bushings.

I do know she was originally an I6 and a prior owner replaced it with the 351 which the most recent owner rebuilt.   It has a 4 speed manual transmission and was originally desert tan from what I can tell beneath the sloppy red/white paint job.  (Actually, inside the bed, cab and under hood all remain desert tan.) Unfortunately, the certification label is missing to help me decipher other history/details.

I have been driving her around locally a bit despite the non-working A/C.   There are too many things to list that may need to be fixed and/or I would like to do.  Or, more likely, I may just need a little help prioritizing.   I have been busy poking around and I've already made a handful of mistakes of one shape or another.

Shall I start a new post under Projects to share the challenges ahead and my (mis)adventures?   Thanks, again, to all for the welcome.

1985 F-150 351W 4SPD
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Projects, if you want an ongoing thread about a total restoration or something.
The main forum if you are looking to solve problems one or two at a time.

Gary has his MAJOR projects (and 50 page microanalsis) in the main section.

110* and no AC?!?!    ðŸ˜¡
I'd say get a thread on that started.

I've got a buddy who moved to Mesa decades ago, who says it's no fun ("Jim, it's like riding my motorcycle into a blast furnace")
But he wasn't born there...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I  understand every bit of that.

And I like the gate opener style brushguard!  

At least you have no concerns about rust.
Don't expect that to last long once she's in Michigan.

Before it makes the migration you might look at rejuniviating any exterior seals or caulk that's been baking in the sun for 34 years.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I, too, understand every bit of the advert.  Sounds like a good point from which to pick up a project.

As for what to put your thread, it is your choice.  I'm not 100% sold on even having the Projects folder/section - but I'm not suggesting we get rid of it.

Anyway, your call on where to put it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Kevin
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
It sounds like the main forum a problem at a time is the way to go.   I will see everyone there.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
And I like the gate opener style brushguard!  

At least you have no concerns about rust.
Don't expect that to last long once she's in Michigan.

Before it makes the migration you might look at rejuniviating any exterior seals or caulk that's been baking in the sun for 34 years.
Jim, you've actually hit on a few of my first things.   I don't like the brushguard and unfortunately it's welded right to the frame.   You're also right about the seals and caulk, but unfortunately that leads to being wrong about the rust.  The floor pans definitely have some and I believe it was most likely from the inside out.   Anyway, I'll get to all that.
1985 F-150 351W 4SPD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Big Blue's floor pans have some rust, from the inside, and I'm going to clean it, wire brush it, and POR15 it to kill the rust.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Kevin wrote
Jim, you've actually hit on a few of my first things.   I don't like the brushguard and unfortunately it's welded right to the frame.   You're also right about the seals and caulk, but unfortunately that leads to being wrong about the rust.  The floor pans definitely have some and I believe it was most likely from the inside out.   Anyway, I'll get to all that.
Jonathan had an 'incident' with a burro out in Arizona about a month ago.
I bet he wishes he had a frame mounted guard...

So, show some pics of the rust.
As dry as it usually is out there (monsoon season excepted) I'd imagine the only way to rust is if the absorbent padding got soaked and held the water there.

See you in the main forum.    
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Yes and yes. I wish I had a stout grille guard. It would have at least helped the night the donkey ran out in front of me...

Rust in the cab is still a problem here, especially if the wheel arches and cab corners get packed with dirt and debris that holds moisture. Add a rubber floor that prevents moisture from evaporating and you can get floor pans that rival the salt belt 😥

That was my 4x4 parts donor... with a Phoenix AZ DSO on the door tag. It’s also why I won’t do a rubber floor and would be extremely careful buying one that had it.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2