Hello all. Hope this fall has been good to you so far. Wondering if anyone out can hook me up with a shift selector cable or the whole assembly for a 1985 F 250. It’s an obsolete item at Ford now. Thank you, Tom

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello all. Hope this fall has been good to you so far. Wondering if anyone out can hook me up with a shift selector cable or the whole assembly for a 1985 F 250. It’s an obsolete item at Ford now. Thank you, Tom

TMulholand
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello all. Hope this fall has been good to you so far. Wondering if anyone out can hook me up with a shift selector cable or the whole assembly for a 1985 F 250. It’s an obsolete item at Ford now. Thank you, Tom

1986F150Six
Administrator
Almost leaving the computer and wanted to help, if possible. Is this possibly what you are looking for? If not, I am sorry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-E7TZ-7F042-A-Automatic-AOT-Transmission-Shift-Selector-Cable/183384611109?epid=1828124746&hash=item2ab2931925:g:SMwAAOSw1rFbdzj~:rk:10:pf:0

I just noticed the year and I believe it is for 1987, so not the right one.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello all. Hope this fall has been good to you so far. Wondering if anyone out can hook me up with a shift selector cable or the whole assembly for a 1985 F 250. It’s an obsolete item at Ford now. Thank you, Tom

Rembrant
In reply to this post by TMulholand
I thought I read somewhere that a couple guys had scavenged some parts from a Ford car to fix these. I could be wrong...but it would open up the market a bit if junkyard surfing...
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by TMulholand
I never could find one for my truck but here is what I did for a solution. I  installed a shift indicator on the column and it works well. I also wanted a tachometer on the steering column so this also fixed the fact that the tachometer covered up the factory shift indicator (it was broken anyway). Ill post up a picture tomorrow.

https://www.ididitinc.com/c-1310153-accessories-shift-indicators.html

1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
Here is a couple pictures of my solution. The light from the tachometer actually lights up the shift indicator very well but if you took the time to drill a hole and mount a LED inside the column you could light it that way. They also sell a model with a black or chrome cover over the polycarbonate that looks more factory. As you can see the contour fits the factory column very well. If I did not mount my tachometer where it is I had planned to remove the indicator from the dash and install a filler plate from a cluster from a manual transmission so that it would not have two shift indicators.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's an interesting solution.  It looks factory when you can't see the PRNDL in the instrument cluster.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
They make them for AOD or 3 speed transmissions. They don't market it to fit the factory steering column but I did a little research and the factory ford column is the same diameter as their custom steering columns. On their website it shows the wrong image for the AOD but it is the correct pattern Park,R,N,OD,D,1.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Well done! Looks nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
In reply to this post by ScubaSteve
Mr. Scubasteve, hard to read the tach  on my phone but it looks like a "Super Tach", is that correct? I'm probably going to have to go that route on my truck & have almost decided on a Sunpro Super Tach. I've been unable to find a factory unit 'round here. I don't need the 8k, as I have a 300cid engine, all numbers above 3.5k will be wasted. With an 8k tach it'll look like my engine isn't turning when I glance down. lol!
It's working pretty good for you?
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sully69, find a F600 or F800 before ~1992 with a 370 V8 gas engine and you will likely find a 4000 or 4500 RPM tach. It will work with your truck as long as it has the 4 lugs on the back. Later ones [after ~1992] had 3 lugs and I believe will work only with V8.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eCwAAOSwKcVabjTl/s-l1600.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by Sully69
That is correct its a Sun Pro Super Tac, it works well and I found it on ebay for about $30. I wanted the sunpro tachometer because it would have been the most likely tachometer someone would have added in the 1980's. This one was a new old stock piece that the package looked like it was probably around since 1986 LOL.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Thanks for the suggestion on the larger trucks, never thought about that. Someone mentioned a JY around here that deals only in that type truck, just have to remember who it was & where it was. Or search that internet thing I keep hearing about!