classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello! Hello!

Darksidesm
This post was updated on .
My name is Justin and I'm a Bullnose Enthusiast.

I have a 1985 F-250 Ext. Cab, 8' bed, 460 V8 4bbl (I cannot go through most drive thrus. Lol)

My history: I was born in 1985 (yes I'm young. Lol) that year my dad bought a brand new 1985 F-150. I grew up in that truck from riding in the bed on 5 gal buckets on our way to the lake to our 36 hour straight drives across country. That was the first truck I steered down the road as a kid in 1st gear. I pretty much love everything about them.

Truck history: I have had 2 previous bullnose trucks that I have lost "painfully" to financial hardship. My father in law bought this truck for me after I lost my last one (I did pay him back). So the guy we got it from it was his wife's dads truck and was given to her. Her dad had a camper in the bed and it was not a daily driver. When she got it, it was driven twice a year to the dump and kept in a garage for like 10 years. There is no rust and only about 40,000 original miles.

It has sat for a little over a year till I could get it to my house. Now I'm going to drain the gas, replace the valve cover seals and the oil pan seal. I might rebuild the carb but I want to see how it drives first. I will take and post pics this weekend.

Sorry to ramble on.
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello! Hello!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Justin - Welcome!    Glad you found us.

That's an interesting story - born the same year your truck was, grew up riding in and driving one, and have owned several.  Plus, this truck was babied and garage-kept most of its life.  And it sure looks like it has been well cared for.

Now, for your plans.  Draining the gas may not be enough on the fuel system.  You may find you need to replace the tank(s).  Fortunately they aren't all that expensive.

As for changing the oil pan gasket, good luck.  The 460 is such a large engine that changing that gasket w/o pulling the engine is going to be a major challenge.  If it is possible you'll have to jack the engine a loooong way up, but the transmission will probably hit the floor before it gets high enough.  This isn't going to be easy - if possible.

Then there's the carb.  I have info on those carbs here (Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/Holley 4180C), but you should watch the carb closely when you first start the engine.  The old cork gaskets had a tendency to shrink, and you may have a major leak out of one of the bowls.

Anyway, I hope things go well for you.  Please start a thread on your truck in the main section of the forum and let us know how it goes.  Oh, and you have an early '85 given the trim that is on it.  You can read about the difference in the trim in the early 1985 brochure shown here: Literature/1985 Literature.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Darksidesm
Welcome, Darksidesm!
Reply | Threaded
|

Darksidesm
I am hoping the tanks will be ok for a while. My plan is to get her back on the road but only short distances and a couple times a week. I had some money saved up and found out my wife was pregnant with our second so over the last 8 months I watched that savings slowly disappear. We now have everything so I am planning for it to go back up.

I was actually driving her a few years ago to the train station every day. The only problem it had was for no reason it would lose power like I took my foot off the gas I would pull over and it would die. Then it would start up first turn and be fine. This did not happen often. Another problem I would have is when I would let off the gas at a light or stop sign it would start shaking and try to die. I would put it in neutral and tap the gas then put it in drive and go. Again if it died I would start it up and it would be fine. So I had to pull the carb to replace the accelerator pump it was leaking gas, I decided to check the filter going in and found a bunch of string in there. That was the last time I messed with it. Not sure if that would cause the intermittent issues.

Well for the oil pan I dont want to break anything. Might be better I wait till I have the space and money to just pull the engine.

I will say I cannot stay off this site. I have been going through everything. I love to read and look through pics. For the past year I have been buying every 85 ford truck anything that I can find on Ebay (that I can afford). I have gotten lucky a few times and picked up a lot of the manuals for cheap.

I will start a thread this weekend and I look forward to any and all advise. I'm not a mechanic so if I say I'm going to do something stupid, feel free to point it out. Lol
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Hello Justin.  Welcome.

I have similar memories of riding in the back of my beloved grandfather's F150 between house and shop, with a huge grin on my face knowing we'd both be due for dutch from my grandmother.

Congratulations on your other pending arrival!  None of my 4 arrived at a "good" time in life, except that each made it so.  Now those hard times have the best memories.  

Good luck and you'll find incredible support here.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What kinds of documentation have you found?  I'm always watching for things I don't have.

And, congrat's on the 2nd child!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Darksidesm
I will take a pic this week of my books. I've bought so many I forgot which ones I have. Lol

Thanks for the welcomes and congrats.

Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8