Hello From SouthWest Arkansas

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello From SouthWest Arkansas

844rd
Hi all, I found this page on Ford Truck Enthuses forum and looks like great resources. Anyway My truck is an 84 2 wheel drive with a 300 I6. I just allot of under the hood work done mainly because the dreaded feedback carburetor. My dad bought the truck new and he handed down to me a couple of years latter. I never thought I would keep it this long but I just cant give it up. The motor was still going strong with close to 300,000 miles on it, just some ticking lifters and a little more blow by than the PVC could handle. The carb. was just giving me to much trouble and no way going back to the feedback set up. I decided to go ahead and have to motor rebuilt while I was at it. I went back with a Carter YFA non feedback, the ECM was still working so I didn't do the Duraspark conversion. I just got it back running last week, so far its doing great. I live in Arkansas so theirs no emissions. EGR, air pump and all those vacuum lines are gone.
Kevin 84 F-150 300 i6 Manual 3 speed overdrive 2.47 rear end
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello From SouthWest Arkansas

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you found us!  

Have you seen the info on my Ford truck show & swap meet on Sept 15th?  It is in Skiatook, OK.  That's just north of Tulsa.

As for your truck, if you still have the ECM and the non-vacuum advance distributor then your performance isn't as good as it should be.  That's because the ECM will know all the emissions stuff is not working and it will lock timing to 10* BTDC, which is the limp-home mode.  So you really need to do the DS-II conversion to get better performance as well as economy.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tallyho
Welcome to a great forum!
Tallyho
1984 f250 4x4 460 4 spd
Raymond maine
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome to the family!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thank you all for the welcome!!! I wish I could come to the truck meat but we have a man out at work and can't get off. As for my truck I got 17.3 mpg on my first fill up after the rebuild not bad but I hope be able to get more. I know my tire size will make a little difference  I have 235/75 and the truck came with 215/75. I did order a 16 tooth gear to replace the 17 tooth one in it, I'll see what change that makes. My phone gps says I going 2 mph faster than the speedo which is not bad I guess just thought I would try the 16 tooth see what it did. The tag under the hood says the Ignition is the EEC IV. I have the TFI module is this one in the same of has something been changed? Truck is running great as far as power and pickup a lot better than with the feedback carb. I will try to attach a pic. would love advice on what it needs. Sure wish I could make the show with the truck I know I would learn allot. Next week planning on changing the steering gear box, too much play even after turning the adjustment screw 1/2 turn. So you think changing to the Duraspark II is the way to go in the future or is this TFI going to work ok for me? 
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Your engine looks good! Glad to see the Motorcraft FL1A oil filter. Years ago, on another forum, I wrote the following [open the link]. Perhaps it will give you some food for thought.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325963-gas-mileage-recipe-4-9l-300-a.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 844rd
Sorry for the delayed response.

No, the TFI/EEC-IV system is not going to work well for you.  That requires that all components in the emission system be functioning correctly, and you've already said much of yours has been removed.  In that case the computer will lock ignition timing and there will be no advance beyond what you dialed in initially.  And, as you can see from David's thread, you need both centrifugal as well as vacuum advance to perform correctly.

So, you will either have to reinstall all of the removed equipment and get it working correctly, or change to the DS-II system.  And I highly recommend the latter.

You can prove that the computer has the timing locked by checking with a timing light.  When you rev the engine you should see the timing advance, but I'm sure it won't, and if it doesn't the engine cannot run well.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Thanks for the link, and thank you Gary for the replay, lots of good info. I have seen where several people have converted to the duraspark II and I thought I was going to go that route but the shop that rebuilt my motor and set up my carb said it would work with the EEC IV without EGR. Seems to be running good but I have not verified that the timing is doing what it is supposed to be doing. There is some Dieseling chatter if I shift a little early. I've only gone about 200 miles so still trying to fill things out. I will do some reading up on changing over to the duraspark but will it work with my YFA non feedback card I just put on it? FYI I am new to forums, I did join FTE a day or two before joining here and put pics. Anyway this is where I need to be. So next week I'm changing the steering gearbox to get driving better and some more work in weeks to come, so should I start a new post when I do something of try to find a similar thread and post on to that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry for the delayed responses.  I've been on vacation in The Baltic (Russia, Estonia, Poland, etc.) and time and connectivity were limited.  But, I'm home as of about midnight last night and can respond - although I may not be coherent for a few days.  

Yes, DS-II will work with your carb.  The ignition itself isn't actually carb-dependent.  But, the advance curve in the distributor is dependent on whether you have EGR or not.  So if you aren't going to run EGR then you should try to find a dizzy from a pre-EGR truck.  Or, have someone set the dizzy up for non-EGR.

As for another thread, you should start one in the main section as this section is for intro's and doesn't get the views the main section does.

Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
Thanks Gary, I will start one for my truck. I've been reading some on the DSII and it doesn't look look like as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Also I might be able to make it to the get to Oklahoma. I'm a good 5hrs away but could get there by noon, although this year I won't bring my truck, wife and I will drive the Subaru. Hopefully we wont get run out of town bringing a Subaru (maybe should park a few blocks away).
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
844rd wrote
 Hopefully we wont get run out of town bringing a Subaru (maybe should park a few blocks away).
Last year, my wife and I arrived in a Pontiac Aztec. You will be fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We'd love for you to come.  And, as for the Subie, we have a 2001 Forester that we bought new, so have a soft spot in our hearts for them.  Come on up!

DS-II isn't that big of a deal - if you can find the right engine harness.  There's a different harness for DS-II vs TFI, and you want one of the former.  But each engine takes a slightly different harness.  They are electrically the same, but the various sending units are in different places, as is the distributor, so the wire lengths are what changes.  But you can make a harness from a different engine work by adjusting the wire length.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Greetings Mr. 844rd,

Beauty of a truck! Something I'm curious about....

Seeing as how your truck has 2.47 geared rear diff and manual OD trans behind a feedback 300/6, and factory 215 tires...

Does it have a functional shift indicator light?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
No shift incinerator light and I don't ever remember seeing on cone on. when I replace the dash lights i will stick one in just to see if it would work. So Gary I've seen new after market market wire harness for DSII over 100 dollars, might be worth if it would fit. It has the connectors and everything.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
For 1984, the upshift indicator was located at the upper left end of the dash.
Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
It has the little shift card in it but I never seen it light up. Unless the light went out early in it's life and I just don't remember it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
844rd wrote
It has the little shift card in it but I never seen it light up. Unless the light went out early in it's life and I just don't remember it.
My '84 has the shift indicator, but no bulb or wiring. It was an option that was only available with the 300/6 and manual trans, and my truck is a factory 302 w/3spd.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Painless makes the harness and it is plug and play.  But, it is expensive.  If you can find a factory one from a salvage or someone on here then it'll probably cost a lot less.  However, the factory wires are getting brittle, so watch out for breaks in the insulation.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This seems to be less expensive than the one offered by Painless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Autowire-Ignition-Box-Wiring-Harness-Duraspark-Magnetic-Ford-Each/332100601052?epid=629350987&hash=item4d52bd04dc:g:WUYAAOSw-xVaBjBK:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!40475!US!-1

Hmmm... it appears that the American-Autowire-wiring does not include a resister?