classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello All

OkiAkaFord
Hey Gary, Hey All,

Been working on a 1984 4x2 i6 300 for the past year or so. I'm starting to lean on calling her Cass, but well see. Gary, really preciate all the information on the site, been lurking in and out over the last year on your site. My buddies and I pulled the engine, new brakes, new rear axle (thanks to your axle listing I swapped the 2.47 for a 3.55 from a salvage yard), ripped out the smog computer and went to the old ignition system (that took about a month to figure out). I also found a couple of tachometers from the yard, and now I have a working tach that looks really clean and stock.  

The last thing I need to do is to tackle the interior wiring job from the previous owner, lots of loose ends, and I am pretty sure I am going to need some help. He has an standard philips cd player/radio that plain looks out of place, I was going to see if I could find an old tape OEM tape/radio to plug back in if you have any suggestions on where to find one. Also,  teh center speaker is gone if it even came with my trucks package, and the door speakers can barely put out sound. Any guidance or suggestions would be awesome. I also have a question about putting a  clock in I found at the yard, its the standard one that fits over the radio. I think Ill have to pull out the entire dash at once when I start to clean up the wiring, install the new radio and hopefully wire the clock in too.

As I've been working on the truck, I am finding that this model was probably the most standard, no frills package that money could buy, which is nice, but as I scout all the junk yards, It has been really cool to see the bullnose upgrades that people could add on. Any stand out to yall?

Talk with you soon

OkiAka
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello All

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  

Where's home?  I ask for two reasons.  First, we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a city.

Second, I know where a cassette/AM/FM radio is in a Bullnose truck in a salvage. I have no idea if it is any good and don't know what they'd want for it, but can ask.  And, if you are close to me in Okiehoma that would make it easy.

But not all trucks had a center speaker.  In fact, I don't believe any of the stereo systems had a center speaker.

On the clock, it is a plug and play - if you have the harness that was used with the clock.  It plugs into the clock's pig tail and then it plugs into the dash harness.  Did you get it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

OkiAkaFord
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for quick help Gary,

I am in Southwest Oklahoma at the moment, got the truck in OKC. I'd appreciate the help, that means a ton, there's a nice yard in Roosevelt (Parts World) I've been going to. They have a couple  of real cool International inline 6s that would just look pretty on a running stand. Since we've had some much rain this spring though, I don't know if anything would work. Gary, the more I think on it, the more Ill probably wait on the radio and save up to buy one of the retro blue tooth replicas, that way I get the look and the upgrades. Thanks a ton for the offer though!

Weird on the speaker, it looks like it would be a perfect mount for one, and the head board has holes in it like it was mean for sound. Wonder if anyone has come up with a mount mod for it.

I grabbed two clocks with pig tails from the yard, and after semi dismembering the dash yesterday looking for the pig tail male plug, I didn't find it. I also have a salvaged harness I pulled from a 1981 bullnose with the ranger package, and it looks like it did not have the plug either. Is there a way to splice the plug in if I find one?

Since the interior is my last sorta frontier with the truck, I was thinking of ripping everything out. Put in a new radio, cigarette lighter on the bottom tray, clock if I can somehow wire the harness, and a switch for the fog lights on the cow gate on the front. But I wanted to do it all at once, without moving the plastic dash of and on the interior framing.

Thanks for the quick reply!

OkiAka

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm in Skiatook, ~20 miles north of Tulsa.  Plan on coming to the Garagemahal Ford Truck Show & Swap Meet here on September 21st.  

On the speaker, the mono radios did have a speaker mounted in the dash.  So you can add a speaker there and do as we did "back in the day" and create a "center channel" by using the negative speaker lead from one side and the positive lead from the other side to drive that speaker.

And, you can certainly splice in to add the clock.  The wiring diagram is here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/digital-clock2.html.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

OkiAkaFord
Putting it on the calendar now Gary!

also, just printed and laminated the diagram. Im gonna need it here in the next few months.

Thanks a ton
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by OkiAkaFord
Welcome to the group!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2