Hello 1981 Flareside

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello 1981 Flareside

81F150flareside
I'm new to the truck world but I've always wanted one and when I was ready I started looking around. I decided I wanted something unique that not everyone would have and was a real truck and that was when I came across the Flareside. Being in Florida everything I came across had rust so I searched for it all the way up to New York and I found it 1.5 his north of Atlanta so I flew up and bought it and I love it. It's a 1981 F150 Flareside with a rebuilt 351M dyno'd at 300HP with no frame rust.

Now I'm going to slowly restore it myself with getting larger jobs
done at shops. I know I'm going to need some help do I'll definitely be posting on here for help and directions. Looking forward to seeing everyone's Bullnose.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello 1981 Flareside

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  That's a nice looking truck.  

The M-block is my favorite engine family, partially because it is an underdog, but mainly because you can get so much power from a fairly small and light engine.  And 300 HP from a 351M is a good case in point.

What size tires do you have?  They look big.  And what gears do you have to accommodate those tires?

I really like the step bars as they look identical to those I have on Big Blue.

So, show us some more pics.  Tell us more about the engine, like what intake, exhaust, carb, etc.  Transmission, transfer case, and gears.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 81F150flareside
Welcome number two, and yes, nice truck.

I'm a bit of a nut for the Flaresides as well. I have an '84 in mid-mechanical repair. Having my 302 rebuilt and hopped up, and swapping in a 5spd manual trans. I had a 1980 Flareside many years ago with a 351w and 4spd manual...and it was an itch that I had to scratch as an adult...lol.

Good luck with your new truck. I'd love to have a Flareside 4x4. I personally wouldn't call the 2wd Flaresides rare...not yet at least, but the 4x4 Flareside trucks are harder to find it seems.
In rehab: 1984 F150 2wd Flareside pickup. Original 302 with GT40 heads, Comp Cam XE256H, Holley 4bbl, and BBK shorty headers. M5OD-R2 5spd trans swap. Plain Jane with no A/C and no radio.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome #3
from another flare side owner.
Mine is also an 81 but has a little 300 six.

I wished mine was that nice when I bought it. I am almost at the body painting stage after a cab off frame rebuild.

Yes we can help when you have questions so ask away!
Dave ----
81 F100 flare side 300 six/T18 project
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Welcome #4
Flaresides turn heads!
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Photo picture card! Nice... makes you want to be there.