Heater hose fitting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Heater hose fitting

Redneckedness
  An anyone tell me what the correct fitting size is for an 80-86 460 heater hose fitting. I need to know what the NPT size is and the hose barb size.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Heater hose fitting

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That info is in Documentation/Cooling Systems/Elbows.  Looks like a 460/7.5L takes a 1/2-14 w/a 5/8" barb.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
Thank you. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 24, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

That info is in Documentation/Cooling Systems/Elbows.  Looks like a 460/7.5L takes a 1/2-14 w/a 5/8" barb.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Heater-hose-fitting-tp41991p41993.html
To unsubscribe from Heater hose fitting, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Redneckedness wrote
Thank you.
Gary never ceases to amaze me.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The web site was initially created to answer the questions that people asked over and over and over again. I got tired of looking up the same info each time so created the site, added the documentation that answered the question, and pointed them to it.

I still do that to some extent, but now I can usually answer most questions w/o having to add more documentation.  

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's the easy one, the return fitting on the 1985 through probably 1987, and possibly going clear back to 1983 is a very strange piece. Apparently it is originally a swivel fitting where it goes into the water pump, but Darth's had been brazed together making a water pump replacement interesting.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
I bought a Chiltons manual before i started hoping it would help but its been pretty much worthless. The info ive gotten on the bullnose forum has helped a lot already. Only been on it for a short while. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 25, 2019, at 8:13 AM, 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's the easy one, the return fitting on the 1985 through probably 1987, and possibly going clear back to 1983 is a very strange piece. Apparently it is originally a swivel fitting where it goes into the water pump, but Darth's had been brazed together making a water pump replacement interesting.
Bill
"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator
Wife's 2011 Flex Limited
Daily Driver 1994 Taurus LX
Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Heater-hose-fitting-tp41991p42021.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's not really surprising, I bought one that was supposed to be a specific manual for Ford trucks. It was about 1 1/2" thick and wasn't really that good. I ended up buying the factory manual set for Darth from Helm Inc. You can look on eBay for manuals, Blackhat Auctions (eBay store Lorie and Jeff) frequently will have manuals and tools.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
Well I’m glad i found ya’ll. Theres a lot of knowledge on this site.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 25, 2019, at 9:39 AM, 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's not really surprising, I bought one that was supposed to be a specific manual for Ford trucks. It was about 1 1/2" thick and wasn't really that good. I ended up buying the factory manual set for Darth from Helm Inc. You can look on eBay for manuals, Blackhat Auctions (eBay store Lorie and Jeff) frequently will have manuals and tools.
Bill
"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator
Wife's 2011 Flex Limited
Daily Driver 1994 Taurus LX
Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Heater-hose-fitting-tp41991p42036.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Redneckedness
Redneckedness wrote
...the hose barb size.
Since all these trucks use the same heater core, it doesn't matter what the engine is.  The hose is always sized to fit the same 5/8" heater nipple, so the engine nipple must always be 5/8".  And since the tube is always that size, the threaded fitting is usually about the same size.

I've found the Haynes manual to be FAR better than Chilton's.  But for these trucks, you have to find an early red-cover edition (preferably the one with the 3-digit PN).

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
... it is!  😵

And I think I bought the last one showing on national inventory back in '08 when I swapped my engine.
The pipe fits behind the dual A.I.R. pumps and locates on a stepped stud in the right side head.

Unfortunately, when I desmogged my truck and went with the L&L alternator bracket, I offered it up and it was claimed almost immediately.
I've got a brass hose barb in the heater core return port of the water pump now, and as Gary said it is 1/2 NPT.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.