Heater hose brand....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Heater hose brand....

Westerj
Hi.  Not exactly a bullnose topic, but hoses are vital.  Bought a poly bag of 5/8" heater hose from ottozone and went to put it on. Not impressed with material.  Good for 1.5atm? 22psi?? Really.. lets not over kill it now!!  Saw gates hose on slamazon for good price, but do i need 50'?  Anyone found place that sells lengths of hose you'd trust?  Did find some some good clamps by NORMA TORRO ... now ill chuck a lifetime collection of clamps ( weve all got thaaat box accumulated from every project!!!) and have some on hand.  
1986 f350 Ambulance convert
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Heater hose brand....

old55pete
As long as the hose is mad by someone with a good reputation, someone like goodyear, gates, napa/ belden. the I dont see why it wouldent hold 22 plus psi. Consider this, the adverage semi goes down the road with a 13 to 16 lb coolant cap and uses the same grade of hose and clamps.

Just my humble opinion
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Westerj
The rad cap is going to let loose at 13psi (or whatever it is rated at)
I'd rather lose a hose than a radiator or heater core.

I buy Gates hose by the foot at my local NAPA.
I If you want the numbers for Gates ECL radiator hoses for your truck I can get them in daylight.
I've left the stickers taped on, so I don't screw up if/when one of them goes soft.

Edit: Oh, I'm 100% with you on embossed Norma clamps over the slotted ones (even Gem)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gates numbers are
Upper: 22655
Lower: 21505
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by old55pete
The heater hoses on Darth are a set I pulled off a truck at Pick-n-Pull, they are original Ford ones and my experience has been that they will outlast new replacements from any parts store.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413