Heater core interchangeability?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Heater core interchangeability?

RenoHuskerDu
Howdy gents.  Farm Truck, our 89 Bricky with a new used 7.3, does not provide much heat. We've flushed the core both ways, not gotten much our. Hoses aren't the problem. Recently we installed a Wix coolant filtration system. No change, still weak heater action, the ladies complain.

So here I am considering our row of parts trucks ... wondering if all the OBS heater cores, 1980-1997, are interchangeable. The cost of parts having gone nuts, my 2018 decision to buy parts trucks is paying off. I know dashboards were changed from Bully to Bricky to Aeronose, but did the heater cores also change?

Non-Bully side remark:
We have 3 Gen 1.0 SDs (99-08) with heater cores that are 20+ years old, no issues. But at work my oldest sees a lot of gen 1.2 heater cores fail within 10 years. That would roughly the 6.4 restyle, whenever the SD got that snazzy new dashboard. Well, apparently Furd also cheaped out on the heater core. Fortunately, the new dash is easier to pull. FYI

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Heater core interchangeability?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Heater core is interchangeble on AC models 1980-1997, non AC 1980-86 the system is entirely different. Bricknose non-AC may interchange as those use a fresh air vent system that is AC inside ducting and underhood lacks the AC casing.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
Wondering if perhaps your problem is not the heater core but rather the blend door.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
When you take off the dash to replace the heater core, you can check the blend door. I bet you it's busted. JBG is selling them at 50% off right now.

Also, seems like the only thing that could fail on the heater core, assuming it's not leaking, is that it is clogged up and not allowing enough/any flow. Why not just pull your hoses and flush it and see what kind of throughput you get?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Littlebeefy wrote
When you take off the dash to replace the heater core, you can check the blend door. I bet you it's busted. JBG is selling them at 50% off right now.

Also, seems like the only thing that could fail on the heater core, assuming it's not leaking, is that it is clogged up and not allowing enough/any flow. Why not just pull your hoses and flush it and see what kind of throughput you get?
What's JBG?  

Yes, that's a good plan for the blend door, thank you.  And yes we did flush it, both ways. Flow was fine.  I'm thinking the blend door is the culprit here.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
JBG is Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard.

https://broncograveyard.com/
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
anyone maintaining or building a bullnose needs to know "jbg ". for reference if nothing else. great source of parts and info. sometimes parts not available anywhere else.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
mat in tn wrote
anyone maintaining or building a bullnose needs to know "jbg ". for reference if nothing else. great source of parts and info. sometimes parts not available anywhere else.
Yes I have used them in the past with satisfaction. They also answer the phone, a rarity. Try calling Flaming River sometime, on the other hand. Grumpy folks.

As to the JBG acronym, IDK.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Just thinking but if the door is the issue I would think one way to check before pulling everything apart would be are both heater hoses hot?

If both are hot then I would guess heat is not being pulled out of the water through the core.
You did say you flushed the core both ways and that was good.
So if you have flow and the hoses are both hot then a guess the door could be the issue.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100