Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Heat Shield For Starter?

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
85lebaront2 wrote
...I had a parts store measure my old movable pole piece starter at nearly 200 amps breakaway current, it dropped noticeably once the engine started turning.
Then I was wrong - it's NOT substantially more than the PMGR.  Did you read that last caption?  It lists the PMGR current as 140~200A.  That's from the Ford service manual.
85lebaront2 wrote
Note the starter solenoid, manifold for this side is a rear outlet and drops below the ports.
Looks exactly like my 5.8Ls.  There are a few more inches between the starter & manifold on my 4.9Ls, but their exhaust wraps about 270° around the starter, and both pipes (for 6 cylinders' worth of heat) pass immediately below the starter.  So I imagine they get to about the same temperature on long drives as your 460's starter.

85lebaront2 wrote
...the starter relay, from my 1996 EVTM...
It shows what I said: the ig.sw. powers the relay, which triggers the solenoid, which turns on the starter motor.  Right?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The starter relay on the PMGR only operates the solenoid, not the entire starter.

It shows what I said: the ig.sw. powers the relay, which triggers the solenoid, which turns on the starter motor.  Right?

But your picture showed no relay, only car I saw like that was dad's 1971 MarkIII with the Delco starter on the 460.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
85lebaront2 wrote
The starter relay on the PMGR only operates the solenoid, not the entire starter.
That bold "only" makes it seem like you're disagreeing with me, but you're saying almost exactly what I said:
Steve83 wrote
...ignition switch to directly-power the starter relay, which only triggered the PMGR solenoid...
So I agree - the starter power comes from the 2nd branch of the battery positive cable.

But there is no "starter relay ON the PMGR"; there's a relay FOR the PMGR, just like for the older-style starter.  The thing ON the PMGR is the solenoid, which is ALSO where the 2nd branch connects, so that the solenoid can turn on the starter motor when the ig.sw. triggers the relay to trigger the solenoid.
85lebaront2 wrote
But your picture showed no relay...
Which picture?  The first one shows the starter relay at the top of the diagram for each type of starter.  The 2nd (the exploded PMGR) shows it twice, in each of the middle panels.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
When did Ford start with that weird 'Y' shaped *red* cable?
1992 - same as PMGR, which is what the first diagram shows - that's the only wiring difference for the 2 types of starters.

This shows the later cable configurations: