Headliner trim on non headliner truck?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Headliner trim on non headliner truck?

Danny G
I would like to have the B pillar trim, this solves a number of wants for me, but I understand this is part of the trim level for trucks that can with a headliner.

Is it possible to put the headliner trim set on a non headliner cab?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Headliner trim on non headliner truck?

Rembrant
TheScatch wrote
I would like to have the B pillar trim, this solves a number of wants for me, but I understand this is part of the trim level for trucks that can with a headliner.

Is it possible to put the headliner trim set on a non headliner cab?
As far as I know, the answer is yes, but somebody else will have to confirm. I think the only issue is that you'd have to drill all of the screw holes. I believe the screws used on the plastic trim pieces are all self-tappers, so if there's no trim, there are also no holes. Not a big deal.

I looked at doing this also, but didn't look very far into it. There was a blue Bullnose that showed up at the junkyard with the headliner trim cab. Problem was, the roof was partially crushed...so not only were some of the parts damaged, they were also difficult to access. I scrapped the idea very quickly...lol.

My cab is bare bones, like a tin can inside.

We'll have to wait for one of the experts to chime in on the topic.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree that you can install a headliner on a non-headliner truck, but we are still awaiting the experts.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I added all of the trim to my old F150. As said, most of the trim is held on with self tapping screws. HOWEVER, the pieces that go above the doors use the same type of clips that the front headliner molding uses, and those require a couple of long rectangular holes be drilled into the cab. Whether you can just drill holes in the trim and use self tappers is beyond me, as I chose to do it the factory way.

The B-pillar trim uses some longer screws, with some plastic blocks as spacers. Make sure you get the plastic blocks if they're in the donor truck.

The biggest thing is to just make sure everything lines up together before you start drilling holes or using self tappers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Pictures of the square holes you need to make...

The little round hole in the middle is an alignment pilot, there is a little plastic “Christmas tree” that positions the the trim piece. The clips can slide back and forth a bit.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Some of the experts have arrived - Shaun and Jonathan.  Good job, guys.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Excellent, I'll be hoping to find a full set of trim them. Covering up that big open bpillar will really round out the appearance of the cab.

Going to be using a high liner headliner with this so its important to at least find trim first before I buy one version vs the other
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you going to use a sound mat or somesuch on the roof panel before installing the headliner?

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
The plan as of now is yes. When I put up the highliner whether or not I have the full trim package I planned on putting some kill mat on the roof. I have 80 mil, and am not sure if that is going to be two thick for it or not. So the plan was to install it with some small pieces in different areas to see how it affected the fit. I am thinking where the head liner has the styling where sections of the headliner are lower, there will be dead space  behind it, this would be the areas to put the kill mat for the most flush fit (Highlighted in red).

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sure you know this, but sound deadening works best in the middle of an unsupported panel.  In other words, it won't do much if applied to a stiff piece like where there's a crease as that part isn't going to flex.  And, if I remember correctly, there are creases and recesses in the inner panels of the roof.  So I'd target the middle of those recesses.

But, I don't think the roof recesses match up with the recesses on that insert.  (I'm too lazy to go look at Big Blue to see as he's in the shop and I'm snug and warm in the house.)  I'd compare the two to see for sure, but I think you can lay mat into the recesses with abandon w/o causing any fitment problems with the insert.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
you mean the two big recesses one over the driver one over the passenger?

I'm pretty snug and warm outside today (it's 80F here), ill go out and have a look when I get home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, those two recesses.  I don't think they match the recesses in that plastic headliner, so....

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I guess we will see when I get it. The red circled parts sit lower to the driver than the parts in between. Im thinking the in between bits are flush to the ceiling and the "pads" are hollow and not flush to the ceiling so some 80mil kill mat should fill that void.