classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Headliner Tracing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is for Michael/Wolpe, and I'll point him here from his intro thread.

Anyway, I traced my 1985 regular cab headliner backing today and wanted to make sure y'all agree that it has what he needs for his Supercab.

I measured from my back glass to the spot on the windshield where the rear view mirror is supposed to be glued on and got 38 3/4".  (Mine fell off and there's a glue spot there.)  I'm thinking he can measure his and add the difference in the middle of the tracing.  Yes?

Also, the front corners are broken on the 85's backing.  However, I have the backing from Huck, the 1990 regular cab and while the outside dimensions on it are slightly different, the corners seem to be the same.  In the pic below the '85 backing is on top of the 90's backing, with my finger pointing to where the 85's backing is broken.  So I added the 90's corner to the tracing for the '85.

Thoughts?  Is anything more needed?

And here's a pic of the corner tracing:

Here's the whole '85 backing being traced:

And here's the completed trace, but it is cleaner than it looks as you are seeing the work table through the material:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Headliner Tracing

FuzzFace2
Why was the mirror that is glued to the glass that can be glued in different places by anyone used?
Even the factory could be off a few inches up / down or left / right or both.

I have not glued my mirror back on as I don't have the visors installed and I had a truck where the mirror was glued on in the wrong place and the visor hit the mirror till the mirror fell off.

I would think using something that was set from the factory like the glass open lip would be better.
You can measure left / right to get center and from center on back.
Think you could also use the visor holes to measure from?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point about the mirror, Dave.

But I'm not sure I understand "glass open lip".  Can you elaborate?

But I'm trying to find something that is easy to measure for both he and I.  Something that will be a good reference and not take a lot of description.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'd assume 'glass opening lip'
AKA: the flange the windshield is glued to
Or pinch weld at the top of the opening, would be the answer.

Yes, I was just saying "if it were me, I have xyz to use as a simple pattern material"

Just cut some new corners from a stiff box and tape them back on to your backer board Gary.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'll climb back in there tomorrow, remove the upper windshield trim, and measure to the weld from the back glass.

As for Big Blue's headliner, I'll probably do just that - cut some pieces of HD cardboard and tape them on.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
.... I'm trying to find something that is easy to measure for both he and I.  Something that will be a good reference and not take a lot of description.
Maybe this country should get with the rest of the world, and stop using body parts of long dead emperors and distances you could run your horse before its heart burst as standards.

Horsepower, hands, furlongs, quarts, whatever.. be done with it.

Heck, even the practice of accurate calibration -Metrology- has the word meter.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
But, we measure our soda in liters....Priorities
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd assume 'glass opening lip'
AKA: the flange the windshield is glued to
Or pinch weld at the top of the opening, would be the answer.

Yes, I was just saying "if it were me, I have xyz to use as a simple pattern material"

Just cut some new corners from a stiff box and tape them back on to your backer board Gary.
Yes the glass opening and you may not need to remove that hard to get off molding.
But what ever works for the both of you.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Really?!?!

Wait till you're paying for gasoline in liters!

Hard liquor on the other hand has been sold in 375ml, 750ml, liters & 1.75l for a long time.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks again for the support.
I have inserted a picture of an 87 SC headliner. Please compare that with the regular cap and try to give me the dimensions for the letters a - h. i has about 26 ft and j c. 15

Thanks
Michael

1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Michael - I will do that a bit later when I get out to the shop.

But, how 'bout sending me an email (click on my name above the avatar and then click on Send Email) and give me your address.  I'm headed to the shipping place in a bit and having an address will make getting a guestimate easier.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Wolpe
Michael - Several things.  First, I checked on mailing you the tracing, and the guesstimate is $50 to this address:

Postsraße 6
85368 Moosberg and der Isar
Germany

Thought that might be a safe place.  

And that's via the US Postal Service, and other forms of transport could go to $180.  So, that seems to be a bit steep.  However, if you want I can send it to you if you'll give me an address.

Or, since the material I used has 1" squares on it, I might be able to convert it to a pdf by plotting it with my CAD software.

As for your drawing and dimensions, I've drawn on my headliner backing, as shown below, and got these dimensions:

a: 46 1/2"
b: 47 3/8"
c: 1 1/4"
d: 4 3/4"
e: 7 7/8" to outside edge, not just to inside of the notch
f: 1 1/2"
g: 4"
h: 4 5/8"
i: 21 1/8" but the dome light opening is below the "b" line on a regular cab headliner
j: 5/8"

Hope that helps, but let me know what more I can do, like mailing the tracing or trying to digitize it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
Hi Gary,
did you receive my mail regardingmy address?
Shipping from the USA to GER is very expensive. Thanks for your hand on this but I think we should do this as last option because of the costs
I will now take a look at the dimensions and transfer them, maybe that's enough to build a headlinder . I will check  as well if there is any other way to send from USA to GER  . Possibly  make my company a kick off in the USA in the next weeks then I would be there and we can organize something
PDF would be an option, but unfortunately I don't have access to a plotter to print in this size but I will check

Michael
1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I didn't get your email re your address.  (By the way, did you check out the address I used?  )

As for your company kicking off in the US, that would be cool!  I could mail the tracing to where you'll be.

On making the pdf, you'd have to trace it by hand or find someone that has a really big printer.  I think that's a last resort.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
He could always tile it.

Or go to whatever their version of FedEx Office is.

But that 25.4mm grid... 🤯  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had no idea people wanted that kind of money for them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
That's exactly what I meant more than 200 bucks for a peace of carton, unbelievable. In my case, I have to add $ 250 freight Costs
1982 F250 Super Cab W351
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Coming in late and looks like Gary has you covered but I've got a SC headliner sitting in the back of Camano's bed in the shop right now and can provide anything if still needed.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Wolpe
Hi Scott,

Sorry that I am only now reporting, I currently have difficult access to the network. Could you measure it and give me the measurements, as  like Gary did? That would help me. Do you have a photo of the headliner?

Thanks

Michael
1982 F250 Super Cab W351