Headliner/A-pillar trim

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Headliner/A-pillar trim

Frogger2662
Been looking for a-pillar trim for a non headliner truck. No luck.
Found the trim for a headliner truck at a real good price.
Thinking about cutting and trimming to resemble  the non headliner trim.
Do you think this would be possible? Maybe try and locate the rest of the trim
above the door. What is this trim called?
Anybody have pics of this trim?
Ideas?
Thanks
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Headliner/A-pillar trim

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have a page (Documentation/Interior/Interior Trim) that attempts to not only show the trim but give part numbers as well as links to information on those parts.  But, as I just looked at it I realized it isn't complete by any stretch.

So please take a look at it and see if you can tell me what parts you are talking about and if they are listed on the Part Numbers tab.  If not maybe I can put them on there.

As for cutting and trimming, I don't know as I've not had my hands on a truck w/o a headliner.  But others on here have so hopefully they'll chime in.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
We have a page (Documentation/Interior/Interior Trim) that attempts to not only show the trim but give part numbers as well as links to information on those parts.  But, as I just looked at it I realized it isn't complete by any stretch.

So please take a look at it and see if you can tell me what parts you are talking about and if they are listed on the Part Numbers tab.  If not maybe I can put them on there.

As for cutting and trimming, I don't know as I've not had my hands on a truck w/o a headliner.  But others on here have so hopefully they'll chime in.

This is what he is talking about trimming. And It may be too thin to do and even it it is you may end up with a gap between the cab and the trim.

Junk yards and parts trucks seem to be the only place to find these. I always said if I could get a 3d rendering of this I could probably sell hundreds shipped out with texture and base coat.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't even know what the one w/o a headliner looks like.  Don't know that I've ever seen one, and can't find one in the catalog's illustrations.  But, they are shown in the text section, as shown below and soon to be on the Interior Trim page.

And yes, if you could get a good 3D scan or drawing you could sell them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I have a few pictures on my build thread.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I will try to get a pic of my original trim pieces and post them.  I will be the weekend before tgat can happen
 Anybody have a pic of the trim piece that fits above the door?
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
Scatch,
Found the pic of the trim on the 3rd page of your truck build.
Your trim looks exactly like mine. My passenger side trim is broken exactly like
your driver side trim. Right thru the screw hole with the piece missing.
The headliner trim is longer in this area with the screw hole hidden under the door trim.
Just thinking about possibly  trimming my new trim back to match the dimensions
of the old trim and adding the screw hole.
Any ideas?
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I don't even know what the one w/o a headliner looks like.  Don't know that I've ever seen one, and can't find one in the catalog's illustrations.  But, they are shown in the text section, as shown below and soon to be on the Interior Trim page.

And yes, if you could get a good 3D scan or drawing you could sell them.
https://www.rearcounter.com/E0TZ-1003598-A-parts462087.html

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I accidentally brought trim for a non headliner truck home once since it was less faded. I think you’d have a hard time simply cutting off the end of a headliner trim piece as it’s curved in one plane and is also 3-D- the edge is rounded off towards the cab sheet metal to give a cleaner look. I also noticed non headliner trim has a high, third screw hole whereas headliner trimmed trucks don’t, presumably because they get support from the metal trim piece that goes over the door.

My trucks in the shop but I can take a pic next week if you still haven’t found one.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
delco1946 wrote
I accidentally brought trim for a non headliner truck home once since it was less faded. I think you’d have a hard time simply cutting off the end of a headliner trim piece as it’s curved in one plane and is also 3-D- the edge is rounded off towards the cab sheet metal to give a cleaner look. I also noticed non headliner trim has a high, third screw hole whereas headliner trimmed trucks don’t, presumably because they get support from the metal trim piece that goes over the door.

My trucks in the shop but I can take a pic next week if you still haven’t found one.
I was going to say the screw holes are in different places between them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Non-headliner in my 80 1 ton.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So that's what it looks like!  Thanks, Scott.  Don't think I've ever seen it before.

Btw, what's the white stuff on the roof?  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha just a little dusting/frost last night that the sun hasn't taken care of yet. Being 9 degrees has probably contributed to that a little though
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You aren't that far away, but it is amazing how much more "weather" you get.  We watch the snow/ice/sleet skim across north of us and hit you, time after time.  And 9 degrees!  We were "only" 17 last night.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
True, crazy how just a little distance can have such an impact. My parents live just under an hours drive west of us (closer to KS line) and granted there is a lake directly between us, they get far more precipitation and stormy weather than us.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
The bottom two screw holes are the same actually, at least on my truck so considering that I cracked my original taking it out and the replacements have much less sun fading i just used those until I can find better. Just don’t look up or else you’ll see the back gasket that otherwise would be hidden!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
delco1946 wrote
The bottom two screw holes are the same actually, at least on my truck so considering that I cracked my original taking it out and the replacements have much less sun fading i just used those until I can find better. Just don’t look up or else you’ll see the back gasket that otherwise would be hidden!
The guy I am helping offered up head liner ones to me when he gets to that part and has 2 left over.
I will take them and see just how different they are and see if I can make them useable in my non-head liner truck. If nothing else I can use them as a "mold holder" when I try and repair the ones I have.
I can cover the good ones in wax paper and when I come up with a fix for mine lay them over the good one to hold the shape till setup.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100