Harrison's on the Road!.... but that exhaust.....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Harrison's on the Road!.... but that exhaust.....

Bulletproof250
Horray, horray! I's a fantastic day here in the northeast, weather's beautiful, and I'm on the road with my F250 after about a month from the time I acquired her.

OK, so it's on the road and already showing me the things she'll need in the near term. several little things like brakes, Carb tune, Slave cylinder, but the real question is what am I going to do with that exhaust! My idea has a bit more enthusiasm, than sense. I'm imagining a set of headers, and some short runs of pipe to cherrybomb-ish, or glass-packs, exiting before the rear wheels but maybe at the cab corner.

So I'm curios what the Bullnose Forum crew has for recommendations  on Headers, not some much on the performance realm, but more about best fit. I've had headers on a '78 F150, and man those things never seemed to fit well. I was imagining that some short-tube type might allow for some fabrication of one-piece tubes to the glass-packs Mating to the headers with the collector flange

Or if someone has done this already, I'd love to see some Pics.

Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Harrison's on the Road!.... but that exhaust.....

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!!!  That's such a GOOD feeling when you get it on the road, even if there are more problems needing to be fixed.  

On the exhaust, my experience with headers is not good.  I have L&L's, which are probably the most expensive ones you can buy, on Big Blue - and they do NOT fit.  I'm not planning to run them on Big Blue nor Dad's truck.

Plus, I don't like the glass packs that are on Big Blue.  The sound is not pleasant, especially when towing.  So I'm going back with Magnaflows.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
I went with a set of BBK shorty headers on my 302. I'm a big fan of the shorty headers personally. They fit well, look great, and you can still run duals in similar routing as the stock single exhaust. I think a couple very important notes are:

A.) Buy good header gaskets...don't use anything cheap or generic, or not proven. I was told to use Remflex 3028 header gaskets by a couple pro engine builders, and it turned out to be very good advice. They've been great so far.

B.) Use good bolts, and make sure they are long enough. Header bolts came with my BBK headers but they were too short @ 3/4". I bought a set of ARP 1" bolts and they worked great.

Short pipes with dumps behind the cab or in front of the rear axle wouldn't be my thing, but I know lots of guys do like 'em that way. I tried a short exhaust and I found the drone in the cab too much to handle, so I ended up running full duals out the rear corners behind the rear wheels with Magnaflow mufflers, and I love the sound of it. Nice rumble, but quiet when cruising.

To each his own though, some guys like 'em loud! I have an annoying case of tinnitus, so I can't deal with 'extra' noise as much as I used to;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Rembrant wrote
I went with a set of BBK shorty headers on my 302.
I like the look of those and it looks very open to fabricating the exhaust system. I do love the sound of Magnaflows, I might consider those. I will admit that i don't plan too do too much, if any, long-distance drives. I found a set of 351w headers for a 351 swap into.. anything? Are these what you have in your truck?

What would I use for collectors to start my build with? any directions?
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Notice how Rembrandt's drivers side collector flange ends ahead of the #8 exhaust port?

With 4x4 and manual you have to be careful that the head pipe doesn't need a sharp kink to clear the front drive shaft and doesn't cook the plastic slave or its line.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Notice how Rembrandt's drivers side collector flange ends ahead of the #8 exhaust port?

With 4x4 and manual you have to be careful that the head pipe doesn't need a sharp kink to clear the front drive shaft and doesn't cook the plastic slave or its line.
Thank again Jim,

This is exactly my concern of fitment, I had to go 3 different sets on my '78 before I got a set that would fit decently

I'm not sure of my transfer case but I know the Dana 44 Front and the T18 Trans.

Good thinking on the Plastic Line, has anyone had this problem?

Is it easy enough to make it up with a steel line?
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought most shorty headers were designed to replace stock manifolds, meaning stock exhaust systems will bolt up to them.  Is that not the case?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Alex, the way the line is held in with a flanged collar and roll pin is not going to be easy to replicate in metal.
A reflective heat shield and boot over the slave will help keep it from melting and cooking the fluid.

These came on some of the later diesel and 460's
I don't see why you couldn't put it on a Windsor.
I've posted pictures of it before and may even have a spare... "somewhere"

I'm back up to Greenwich now.
It seems you are in/close to New London? At least your machine shop is...
It is exactly 100 miles to the Fishers Island ferry dock from here but my brother lives north of Guilford.

Maybe I can figure something out, without making the 200 mile round trip for this alone.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, the BBK's appear to, but "shorties" just mean that they are not guaranteed to be equal length and generally end above the oil pan.

It's not like a cat back exhaust system where it is meant as direct replacement using stock hangers.

While I don't know much about how tight a 351W is in a Bullnose engine bay I do know that motor mounts, engine perches and transmission cross member are obstacles.

You can see from BB that clearance is always an issue.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, Alex,

Bruno/Brandon has headers on his 351.
IIRC he had a problem getting spark plugs to fit and had to find ones shorter than stock.
And was cooking starters.

Not sure if Whitey Jr is 4wd but I think he would have some valuable input on this thread.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
He and I've been texting this morn, while it rains cats and dogs, so I texted him a link.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I thought most shorty headers were designed to replace stock manifolds, meaning stock exhaust systems will bolt up to them.  Is that not the case?
Gary, as a general rule of thumb, most if not all of the SBF shorty headers available for these trucks are supposed to be able to bolt up to the stock Y-Pipes. Now...when I say available for these trucks, you will notice that most of them...if not all of them, are listed as only fitting 1986-1996, or 1987-1996. Not that the heads are different...but the manifolds and downpipes are. So...they will all fit a Bullnose just fine, but they may not fit the stock Y-Pipe.

There are tons of other SBF shorty headers available...but the angles they run don't work well with the trucks. The Foxbody Mustang ones for example point almost directly at the cab...but some people do make 'em work.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I didn't have starter issues, but the changing spark plug  issues was a tough one. I used Headman shorties. Not their cheapest though. It seemed #7 &8 were very tough to get to. There is  barely enough  room to get the plug socket on and an end wrench has to be used to turn it just enough to get it loose and the rest has to be done with fingers.

Forget about long tubes on these trucks. This is on my Bronco.  I disliked the header set up so much that I decided to go with stock exhaust manifolds on my 82 F 150.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Cory - Thanks.  I've thought about shorties for Big Blue, but finding them for an EFI'd 460 is proving difficult.

Brandon - Thanks.  Makes factory manifolds look inviting.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Rembrant wrote
Gary, as a general rule of thumb, most if not all of the SBF shorty headers available for these trucks are supposed to be able to bolt up to the stock Y-Pipes. Now...when I say available for these trucks, you will notice that most of them...if not all of them, are listed as only fitting 1986-1996, or 1987-1996. Not that the heads are different...but the manifolds and downpipes are. So...they will all fit a Bullnose just fine, but they may not fit the stock Y-Pipe.
So, headers listed for '87-'95 trucks will fit if you get an '87/ Y-pipe?

Like these Speed Daddy 304SS ones on eBay?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382931848091
That's pretty inexpensive for stainless headers, delivered.

ETA: I wouldn't consider using regular steel headers here in CT.
Very hot light gauge tubes will disappear in a season thanks to the chlorides used in winter
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You all have pretty well described why I will not put headers on Darth. I had two cars with headers, one was a 1964 Falcon with a late production 260 (had 289 heads from the factory) it was a total PITA due to the cramped engine compartment, factory AC and still using a dynamo (generator).

The other was my 1966 GT350, came from the factory with the Shelby tri-wye headers, I replaced them with a set of Headman large tube (1 5/8" primary, 3" collector) that were specified for 289 HP and 351W engines 1964 1/2 - 1970. They were a tad low due to the allowance for the higher location of the heads on the 351W, but fit perfectly, I got super proficient at replacing the exhaust gaskets, even kept a stack of Mr. Gasket asbestos ones on hand. Easy to change plugs, and on the Mustang chassis, the right side would come out from the top once the collector flange was unbolted. left side the clutch linkage got in the way.

I do not want to be dealing with header gaskets on a 460 in a truck with factory AC, the right side is hard enough when changing plugs, left side, the EGR pipe would be a PITA, more so than it already is.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So, headers listed for '87-'95 trucks will fit if you get an '87/ Y-pipe?
Theoretically yes...but in reality I'm not 100% sure. I tried to do exactly that. I bought these BBK headers (87-95 or whatever they were) and I bought an 87-96 "off-road" cat-less Y-Pipe, and they did not fit well together. I'm not sure if it was the headers or the Y-Pipe, but one of them didn't like the other...or both of them were wrong, I dunno. Part of my issue I'm sure was the size of the ball flanges. The headers were sized for 2 1/2" down pipes and the off-road down pipe I bought was barely 1 7/8"...it might have even been smaller, so besides not fitting very well, the ball flanges would not seal properly. In any case...I had custom duals made up locally anyway, and they're awesome!

My point was, all of the shorty headers are listed as fitting 1987-up trucks, but they will also fit the Bullnose trucks just fine...but you may need some custom exhaust pipe work....which you would have needed with longtubes anyway.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks for that!  

I understand the Lima engines much better than the Windsor's as far as what can mix & match.

Collector size is a variable that is probably right there in the eBay description.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
For what its worth, I've not had an exhaust leak on Big Blue with the L&L headers.  Not that I'm advocating headers, but these haven't leaked.  Perhaps that's due to the 1/2" thick flange.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Rembrant wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
In any case...I had custom duals made up locally anyway, and they're awesome!

My point was, all of the shorty headers are listed as fitting 1987-up trucks, but they will also fit the Bullnose trucks just fine...but you may need some custom exhaust pipe work....which you would have needed with longtubes anyway.
 Rembrant,

I'm planning on custom duals anyway, it's the accessibility that I'm trying to weed-out the worst ones, and i agree, long-tube have been a PITA for me as well. I've since bee swayed to look at Magnaflow mufflers and stock type ball collectors to start the system.
Thanks,
Alex