classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Grilles - Do they follow trim type?

ckuske
Administrator
I've tried to look through the documentation, but I'm trying to get a replacement grille.

The previous owner threw the stock one out, and put a terrible billet grille on.

I can't remember (it's been about 20 years) what the truck had on it originally (long story, but I found/bought this truck back).  I have an 84 XL.  

Is there any way to know after the fact if the truck had Argent/Black (E3TZ-8200-F), or Chrome (E3TZ-8200-G) originally?

Thanks for any hints.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Grilles - Do they follow trim type?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The only ways I think it might be determined what the truck had would be either a Marti report, and I'm not sure that will do it, or the build sheet.  But, two of the build sheets I've decoded don't tell what grille was on the truck even though there's a spot for it on the sheet.

Having said that, an XL would normally have had the argent grille.  However, in '85 the chrome grille was a $56.80 MSRP option, so it is possible that an XL could have had the chrome grille.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks, Gary.  That's kinda what I had been leaning towards as being what I remember.

I do have a Marti report on it, and it's not on there.  But, I'll attach it here anyway.

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yeah, I didn't think it was on the Marti report.  None of the others I looked at showed what grille it had.  Bummer.

So, I guess you can decide what grille you want.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
While we're on "Things not in the Marti report", I have one other question...  I've done lots of scouring on Google Images.

The original rear bumper was chrome, and had a "step" (?) in the middle for a ball hitch.  

BUT, the top was smooth except for a strip of anti-skid tape that ran from one end of the bumper to the other.  No diamond pattern, the top was smooth chrome in conjunction with this black anti-skid tape.

The truck came that way, I doubt my dad would have had it added/done it himself  It COULD have been a dealer add-on... ever seen such a beast?
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I've not seen one of those.  But the options from the factory are shown below, and I'm guessing you have #768.  Or, maybe it isn't a factory bumper?  The dealers had all sorts of options.

COST     MSRP
762 BUMPER, ARGENT REAR STEP                      $101.40 $120.00
768 BUMPER, CHROME REAR STEP                     $159.73 $189.00
764 BUMPER, CHROME REAR (F-150 series only)  $87.08  $103.00

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
My 83 stop has its original argent grill.  It is also an XL.  Purists may scoff but I really wanted a black grill so I painted mine.  I had my reasons and I'm happy with it.  Do what you want with your grille choice.  Just make sure you black out the edge of the surround trim that covers the space below the closed hood.  The factory did this and it makes a big visual difference.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
That looks fine!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by 66gtk
66gtk wrote
My 83 stop has its original argent grill.  It is also an XL.  Purists may scoff but I really wanted a black grill so I painted mine.  I had my reasons and I'm happy with it.  Do what you want with your grille choice.  Just make sure you black out the edge of the surround trim that covers the space below the closed hood.  The factory did this and it makes a big visual difference.

I don't often like painted grills but that looks pretty sweet.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks great!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
That is one super fine looking truck. I’m in two minds about the top straight edge trim, but on your truck it sure does a great job of demarcating and highlighting the white section, which in turns highlights the lines of these trucks.

Simple understated beauty.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback!  Your truck looks great, I'm leaning towards argent.  Good tip about the surround as well.
Chris