Goodbye 2 barrel, emissions and computer!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Goodbye 2 barrel, emissions and computer!

Blacktop
Got fed up trying to fix my running problems and lack of power so bit the bullet and binned all the junk.
Holley 4 barrel, Edelbrock manifold and duraspark distributor fitted with hei module. Got a few bits to tidy up then it’s ready to run. I’ll post some pics later.

Alan
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Goodbye 2 barrel, emissions and computer!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That should do it.  

Are you fitting the HEI module in the dizzy?  I'm curious to see how that's done.

Can't wait for the results.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
Hi Gary. No I’ve mounted the hei in a separate housing on the drivers side fender well. Found the wiring loom to be in a terrible state at the back of the engine, bare wires where they had worn right through! I’m surprised it didn’t catch on fire as the fusible link to the ecu was bare! All gone now that the computer and associated wiring has been removed.

Alan
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think that placement of the HEI module makes sense as it'll keep it cooler than in the dizzy would.

Those wires may be the worst I've heard of.  Having said that, I did part out a truck once that obviously had a bad oil leak on the driver's side.  And when I retrieved the DS-II harness I found out why - it had been trapped under the valve cover!  Not only was there a substantial leak, but the insulation on the wires was badly damaged.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Blacktop
Blacktop wrote
Got fed up trying to fix my running problems and lack of power so bit the bullet and binned all the junk.
Holley 4 barrel, Edelbrock manifold and duraspark distributor fitted with hei module. Got a few bits to tidy up then it’s ready to run. I’ll post some pics later.

Alan
Just finished up the same. I installed a relay harness I found at Rural King. Has relay, all the proper gauge wiring, I am using the original coil wire to trigger the relay. Just finished soldering, and wrapping the harness. Cant wait to fire it it.

About heat....on a 300 six the HEI dizzy get PLENTY of air flow from the rad fan. I would not worry about heat in my case. If a factory GM HEI can live, perform and do well at the back of a chevy up agaist a firewall, then an HEI mounted basically directly in front of the fan on a ford will remain better cooled. Six half dozen or another. Dont really matter where you put the module. Put it where you want to. It'll survive just fine.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
I’ve got the module mounted to an aluminium plate with heat sink paste between. This is then inside an aluminium casing with the relay, and mounted on the plastic inner fender. I will carry a spare module in the glovebox too just in case. I’ll post some pics soon as I can.

Alan
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
This is the only pic I have for now, I will take some of the hei mounting tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is the way Lucas did their "constant energy" ignition, GM 4 pin HEI module in an aluminum heat sink that mounted between the coil bracket and fender on an MG, on the Jag 6s it was on the front of the intake manifold as the coil sat on the front of the head.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think we discovered that those systems are EXPENSIVE, even in the UK where Alan is.  So, he's come up with what is probably an inexpensive, at least by comparison, alternative.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
My son did the GM module on his Jeep YJ with the AMC 258 six.
He is using the stock dist. that have vacuum advance what dist. you using to trigger the GM part?
Oh you have a v8 so that stock dist. with vacuum advance should work right.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
Yes, its a new stock duraspark distributor from rockauto. Fingers crossed that the distributor drive gear is compatible with the flat lifter cam in my engine. I was going to fit the drive gear from the removed distributor but when I took it out, it had three damaged teeth!

Alan.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting that you say "flat lifter cam" and over here we'd say "flat tappet cam".  But we use the term "lifter" and I think you use the term "tappet" to describe the things that go up and down to move the push rods, rocker arms, and subsequently the valves.

Anyway, a stock distributor should have the right gear for that cam.

Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
Here is how I mounted the hei module on the fender well:

And inside the box:

Not sure why the pics have rotated!?!
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job.  Nice and neat.  

On the pics, Nabble doesn't have the code to read the metadata in the pic and rotate it.  That has to be done prior to uploading.  I use various photo editing software to do that and it work - most of the time on the first try.  But sometimes I have to save it multiple times to get it the way it should be.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Good job. Looks nice. Would be interesting to do an experiment with temps. Put a thermometer inside that box. See how hot it gets. Then put a thermometer inside the cap. Compare.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
Perhaps, I think it’s got to be cooler than in the distributor though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Blacktop wrote
Perhaps, I think it’s got to be cooler than in the distributor though.
I agree.  Heat is kryptonite to solid state electronics, so the cooler you can keep it the longer it'll live.  I think the fender liner ("apron" in Ford-speak) is a good location, but the fender itself might be slightly better.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Very tidy. Well done!  

I somehow envision depotting an old DSII and repurposing it as a 'stockish' looking heatsink/housing.
How many watts does a GM module draw?

The HEI style 'all in one' distributors don't seem to have issues with overheating.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
........The HEI style 'all in one' distributors don't seem to have issues with overheating.
This is what I was trying to say. But, if someone wants to overthink something, by all means let them do it. I just dont have time anymore to overthink. If a bigger hammer, or a blow torch cant fix it, I move on. Someday I will have the time on my hands too...