Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Glad to be part of the garagemahal

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hey everyone,

First off Gary - I can't say enough good things about this site. Thanks a lot!

About me - I grew up in bullnoses on the farm as my grandpa bought a new 85 the year I was born and my dad bought an 84 when I was in elementary. A 'fancy' () 83 was bought in the mid 90's. We drove them all up until around the mid 2000's when they were all phased out but those will always be the trucks I associate them both with. My grandfather gave me his 460 F250 (non running) about 6 years ago and that started my downward spiral.

Primarily I have been into the cab and chassis 1 tons. There's just something about a simplistic, no-nonsense work truck.

This summer though I decided it was time to (somewhat) stop messing around with old farm trucks that have been used as farm trucks and get something a little nicer. My wife's and my definition of nice are far from the same but I am blessed to have someone as willing to humor me as she is.

So in a move that would only make sense to members of this forum (or so I tell myself) I sold my 35+ mpg 2012 Focus and started a search around the country for my 'forever' truck. I had a pretty strict set of criteria and I can't count the times I asked people for photos of the door sticker. It took a couple months of daily searching and driving a rough as a cob 1980 1 ton that pushed the limits of my wife's willingness to be out in public with me but I struck gold in early November. Not only did the truck meet all of my criteria but the gentleman selling it was willing to put up with my questions. Downside - the truck was as far away from me as you could get in the contiguous US. That was an experience in itself but again, everything worked out better than I could have hoped for and the truck made the 2000 mile trip only adding 20 miles to the odometer. I really wanted to fly out there with my 6yr old son and drive it back but with the onset of winter weather the potential for roadside trouble was too high.

I am now the happy owner of a 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6 4x4. I've got a lot of plans for this truck but for right now I've just been taking care of the typical maintenance items so it won't be down for any extended period of time this winter.

That went a little longer than planned for a quick intro. Happy to be here and look forward to the knowledge this site and forum has.

Meant to add - this site was absolutely invaluable when double-checking specs on the trucks I would come across in my search.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Glad to be part of the garagemahal

kramttocs
Administrator
Forgot to add a photo. I don't have any good quality ones so "don't both adjusting your set" - the photo is out of focus.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Welcome! Stop apologizing for adding detail to your intro! That’s what the section is for, and I for one appreciate folks who take the time to share 🙂.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome! Looks similar to mine. Yours looks better.

Without the topper now, got a Weather Guard tool box for it. And different steps, Carr Hoop steps now.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Welcome aboard!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, welcome!  

Glad you found us.  And, glad the site is helping.  That is good to see.

Nice truck.  And I like your approach - look until you find the right one, but ship it home.  Just too many things that can go wrong on a long trip.  I'll look forward to getting to know the truck with your, assumed, progress thread.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot to mention that we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) which shows the approximate location of many of our members.  I can easily add you if you'd like.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
I'd have to argue that yours looks better but I will say that you have mighty fine taste!
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
 Thanks - have removed the apologies.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks and yes, I need to start a progress thread. Wife is out of town tonight so just the kids and me but maybe I can put something together after they go to bed.

Sure thing on the map - you can put me down in Bolivar MO just north of Springfield.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now, quite literally, "on the map".  And, I see that you are close.  Please plan on coming to Skiatook, just north of Tulsa, on Sept 14th, 2019.  That'll be, I think, the 3rd annual Garagemahal Ford Truck Show & Swap Meet.

Last year we had a bunch of the folks on here come to the event, inc some from Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.  Plus CO, AL, AR, MO, and KS. And, there were guys from AZ and TX that had every intention of being here and just couldn't due to "life".

So, come join the growing crowd!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Was pretty disappointed right after joining the forum last night, seeing the photos from this years truck show, and realizing that I missed it by a few months. Looked like a good time and next year it is!
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
Welcome Kramttocs!!
Kevin 84 F-150 300 i6 Manual 3 speed overdrive 2.47 rear end
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
kramttocs wrote
I'd have to argue that yours looks better but I will say that you have mighty fine taste!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona