General questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

General questions

Darksidesm
I got my truck started up on Sunday. Got it to idle just fine. I do have some white smoke coming from the passenger side from under the exhaust manifold shield I believe.  I'm assuming a break or a bad gasket.

1. If it is broken, what's a good replacement? Where to buy?
2. I also think my valve cover gaskets are shot. See pics below. Lots of oil. So valve cover gaskets. Where to buy? Cork or rubber? Do I need a sealant?
3. I have a few wires running across the top of my engine. Should I wrap these in electrical tap or use a plastic cover? Most of the old covers are rotted off and the wire is touching the engine.
4. Anyone have the additional battery for a camper? Mine appears to be factory installed. Has anyone ever disconnected this system?
5. Anyone ever bought covers for the "I believe they are called pockets" a long the top bed rail? I'm tired of chasing wasps out of them.

Here is the smoke. Not real easy to see.

Here is a valve cover bolt.

Thanks
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: General questions

ctubutis
My guess is oil from the leaking valve covers is burning off the exhaust manifold.

I like the rubber gaskets myself, I glue them to the valve covers using some sort of gasket sealant (Permatex No 2, for example) then just snug 'em down with the bolts, this allows the valve covers to be removed & reinstalled easily in the future. Don't overtighten, valve covers are pretty flimsy material and the sealing surface should be flat & clean.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darksidesm
Yeah I wasn't sure if it was oil burning off or a broken manifold. I will have to pull that shield off and check. Hopefully it's just the leaking oil. One last thing to replace.

I will look at some rubber gaskets and that sealant. Thanks

Is there anything I should check or replace while I have the valve covers off and the emissions spaghetti out of the way?
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, check all the vacuum lines for cracks, melted areas particularly where they pass over the exhaust crossover are of the intake manifold.

On the "spiders" (air pipes to the exhaust ports) lots of penetrating oil and use a flare nut wrench on them lest they round off and you can't get them out. They have to come out to get the valve covers off.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Darksidesm
Yes. I will check all the tubing. I know of a few that are badly cracked.

Thanks for the heads up on the penetrating oil.
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8