Gear vendors wiring?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gear vendors wiring?

swampedout
Hey folks, hope everyones enjoying the summer. Its too hot to work on the trucks right now but its cooler under the truck so maybe I could get some help here.

As this is the place to go for documentation, does anyone have diagrams for a gear vendors overdrive? I know its aftermarket, but itz worth a try. PO has all kinds of wires hanging around the trans and Id like to kind of figure them out before I start pulling wires out.

Thanks
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gear vendors wiring?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think there are at least two GV OD's.  Which one do you have?

Scott/kramttocs put one in his truck, so maybe he has the wiring diagram.  If he doesn't come along in a bit I'll ping him for you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I think there is a box that wires from the speedo sender (wires at transmission?) goes into under the dash.
This should tell the OD unit you are going over think it is 30 MPH and the GV OD can then be used.
This box also has the lockout for when you are in 4x4 so you cant used OD, and the brake & clutch switches also get wired into it to stop OD when the clutch or brakes are hit.

Could not tell you what this box looks like or the wire colors used for what function.
Advance Adapter's OD does not have wires to it
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout

Thats the brain box. That part number doesnt come up in my search.

Ill get under the truck tomorrow and see if I can find the difference between the models.

Thanks for the quick replies. This is a long term project so theres no rush on it.

Also the box is installed directly under the brake pedal. Definitely need to relocate
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout

Bigger photo
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by swampedout
Here is a screen shot of the wire diagram that Gear Vendor’s sent me. I can email you the PDF if you want it.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - What about emailing the PDF to me and I'll put it in our documentation for all to see?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Great idea Gary! I forwarded the file to you... it is for the manual transmission 4x4 configuration, so there may be other diagrams... this is the only one I have. Andrew says he has a an owner manual but it lacks this diagram. Perhaps he can send it to you?

Edit: I have the screen shots of the DNE2 owner manual if it would be appropriate to archive them under aftermarket overdrives... I’m not sure how far down the aftermarket rabbit hole we want to go with this.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Interesting, so the GV unit is a Laycock De Normanville hydraulic unit. Item of warning, make damn sure there is no way it can even try to go into OD in reverse. You do not even want to think about the damage that occurs when the cone clutch releases from direct to go into OD, it will just slip, then when the hydraulic pressure builds enough to engage OD, the overrunning clutch and cone clutch are fighting each other, the cone clutch usually wins resulting in complete carnage inside.

Years ago my dad bought a 1963 Sunbeam Alpine with OD, it wouldn't work, so he decided to see what was wrong, that one had apparently been engaged in reverse, as the inside was junk, gears and overrunning clutch all trashed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
85lebaront2 wrote
Interesting, so the GV unit is a Laycock De Normanville hydraulic unit. Item of warning, make damn sure there is no way it can even try to go into OD in reverse. You do not even want to think about the damage that occurs when the cone clutch releases from direct to go into OD, it will just slip, then when the hydraulic pressure builds enough to engage OD, the overrunning clutch and cone clutch are fighting each other, the cone clutch usually wins resulting in complete carnage inside.

Years ago my dad bought a 1963 Sunbeam Alpine with OD, it wouldn't work, so he decided to see what was wrong, that one had apparently been engaged in reverse, as the inside was junk, gears and overrunning clutch all trashed.
That is the first I have heard of not using it in reverse, don't think even on GV site.
I guess the box would keep that from happening as it will not go into OD unless going 30 MPH and you would not be doing that backing up.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That may well be the case, I know on the MGs and Jags they just had an OD switch, on the MGB it was on the top of the shift knob, it could be used (conceivably) in any gear, but had a shift rail switch that only allowed it in 3rd and 4th. The real nice thing compared to traditional US models (Borg-Warner) is the ability to shift up or down under power. Many sports car racers use them to get 8 forward gears.

I had a 1958 F100 (my first pickup) that I replaced the 223 and 3 speed with a 1957 312 T-Bird Special and Borg-Warner T85 w/OD. After I found that the nice little Carter AFB from a 300 ci Buick had a hairline crack in the right float bowl, I was feeling like having some fun, I put a 2 barrel intake on it and a Motorcraft 2700 VV carb on. The 2700 is the non-feedback version. Running on the nice 2 lane back road going up to our big BSA camp, 25 mpg with the 3.73 gear in that truck, and loads of power.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Jonathan - We have a new page: Documentation/Driveline/OverUnder Drives.  I have a tab for Gear Vendors, with the electrical diagram on that page, and Doug Nash.  So send me what'cha got and I'll put it on.  Plus whatever else we want.  It is "we", and we might as well have what WE want.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I sent an email with the JPG’s of the DNE2 manual. I actually think there are two documents, 14 pages manual, 6 pages installation instructions. They are not the best quality, but better than nothing.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
So what do I need to do to make sure it doesnt engage in reverse?

Maybe Ill email GV to get a pdf for the auto wiring diagram.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Got it, Jonathan.  Will work it tomorrow and see what I can do.  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Late to the party  Really wish there was a way to target a user so they'd get notified.

That diagram from Jonathan is handy - he sent me the same and it helped make sense of it all. The nice thing about the GVOD in both operation and wiring is that it's dead simple once you lay it all out.

When contacting tech support if you do, just know that it's all about who you get. Some are great to work with while others...

I have the C4, C4, and FMX manual that I referenced on my 4wd install but it was mainly used for the actual install since the unit was new to this truck. The wiring diagram from Jonathan is likely all you'll need in your case.
Gary - happy to share the manual. My only concern is that since I purchased it from GVOD, they may be against it being made publicly available? Not sure how that works and I don't see any mention in the manual about distribution.

As for reverse, it's something to keep in mind but I don't see any need to wire in a lockout for it. You definitely need to make sure the 4x4 lockout is working though. I never saw anything in the manual specifically about reverse dangers but I did read some other forum posts about avoiding backing uphill with a heavy trailer as well as if you are stuck, just quit. Don't try to rock yourself out.

How do you plan to use the overdrive? Automatic or Manual mode? I.E split gears or just a final overdrive?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by swampedout
I believe yours is the next gen after mine but the wiring will be the same (pretty generic).

Just adding this here as a resource: https://maximum-overdrive.com/
As well as this: https://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/gearvender-deep-sump-installation-tutorial-maximum-overdrive/

The latter site has some neat posts if anyone gets a chance to check it out.

While you are down there, make a note of the numbers that are on the flat circular part where the speedometer gear goes in.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Jonathan - I have the two DN documents on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Over-Under Drive and the Doug Nash and then DNE2 tabs.  However, it appears there are pages missing in the Manual.  Looks like pages 2 & 5 are missing - unless the last page is one of them.

Scott - I don't want to host something that shouldn't be out there.  What do you think about contacting GVOD, giving them a link, and asking if we can put it there?

As for notifying people, I wish!  Maybe after we get a copy of Nabble running on our own server we can figure that out?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Got the all good from GVOD just now. It's a 40 page booklet so it may be easier to mail currently as I don't have a good scanner and am still unable to go into the office. Want to add some more scans to your never ending pile?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, please mail it.  I have quite a stack.  But, is the book loose leaf?  And is it stapled in the middle?

I'm getting ready to scan a 1984 owner guide and it has the pages stapled in the middle.  So when you pull the staples you have something like Page 16 on one side and Page 209 on the other.  I have to scan them, duplicate each page, and then crop the pages.  'Tis a PAIN.  But 40 pages won't be too bad.