classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gary's Carburetor Tests

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As many of you know, I recently built an Edelbrock 1406 for my brother's '55 Chevy.  And, by "built" I mean I put together two different carbs as well as several new parts to make one functional, stock, 600 CFM carb.  Further, I put it on Big Blue to test it in order to ensure that it won't quit him right in the middle of breaking in that new Performer cam.  In fact, it performed (pun intended) well on Big Blue in place of the 750 CFM Performer carb that had been on there.

Someplace along the line David/1986F150Six suggested that I run a test on the two Edelbrocks as well as the 750 CFM Street Demon I have.  And, his suggested test was to run the same route he and I did about 2 1/2 years ago with our 6 cylinder trucks.  Further, he suggested that I do a full-throttle run from 30 to 70 MPH in top gear and time it.

Well, today my brother called and wants his carb.  So I did the first run on this route:

And the way I drove it was to average the speed limit.  In other words, I let it pull down maybe 2 MPH on hills, of which there are plenty, and come up about the same on the downhill stretches.  And the speed limit is 65 from Mr Bass, where I filled it to the brim, through Hominy and up and around to Barnsdall, and then 55 to Avant, although the speed limit drops to 25 to 35 in the towns.  And from Avant south it is 50 MPH.

So, how'd we do?  Well, in spite of Google saying that route is 63.1 miles, Big Blue thinks it is 65.0 miles.  And, I got 5.71 gallons in it after that, again to the brim, for an average of 11.384 MPG.  (Yep, its a 460.)

As for the 30-70 MPH run, that took 15.78 seconds, and I started at the east edge of the bridge over the lake - for my reference next time.

I now have the Edelbrock 750 back on there, and will test it in the not too distant future.  Then I'll swap the Street Demon on and go again.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gary's Carburetor Tests

Ford F834
Administrator
Wow! Neat test Gary! I can’t wait to see the results of the next installments. Are David’s results for this route posted somewhere?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
"So, how'd we do?  Well, in spite of Google saying that route is 63.1 miles, Big Blue thinks it is 65.0 miles.  And, I got 5.71 gallons in it after that, again to the brim, for an average of 11.384 MPG.  (Yep, its a 460.)"

Woohoo! 11.384! Pretty good!

Neat test!

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I'll have to dig up the results that David and I got with the six cylinder trucks.  Maybe he will know where they are.

As for the MPG this time, I was hoping for more.  But we shall see what the other carbs get.  I can say that the 1406 worked flawlessly.  The choke could use a teeny bit more pre-load, but who knows how it'll work on the little 350, so I left it on the index.  And the overall jetting gives a smooth experience.  No bogs or lags anywhere, and you can't tell when the metering rods pop up nor when the secondaries open.  Just a nice, smooth response.  And, the engine pulls strongly.

I forgot to say that there was a little more idling than one would expect in an MPG test.  There are two places where there's construction, and in one case the road is down to one lane with a timed light.  I was the first one to it yesterday, so turned Big Blue off to save gas.  But, when the light turned green he wouldn't crank, and by the time I jumped out and jumpered the relay it was red again.  So, I idled through the next cycle of maybe 4 minutes.  

Also, I took a video of the idle RPM and vacuum with both carbs.  After dialing in the air/fuel mix on both carbs and setting the RPM to be the same, the vacuum was essentially the same - which fits with my expectation.  And, the average vacuum of 20" and a smidgen more tells me that the engine is in good shape and the cam is quite mild.  But the 2" swing from 19 to 21 also tells me there are valve problems.

However, none of this will really matter on the MPG runs as they'll all be with the same engine, tire pressure, etc.  Basically the only variables I can think of are the air temp and the wind speed and direction.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
11.384 isn't too bad, Darth, heavier truck, 6 tires on the road averages a little better than 10 normally, it will go in the cellar if I get stuck in a back up on one of the James River crossings or in town tra.ffic.

Long highway runs, he will get 12.5 even running 70 mph. The 460's torque peak is around 2200 rpm, with the E4OD and 3.55 gear, I am below that as I am only turning 1500 rpm at 55 mph in OD, If I drop to 3rd (direct) I am at 2200 rpm at 55 mph which is why I can haul a pretty substantial load uphill on the CBBT at 55 in 3rd.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Jonathan - I'll have to dig up the results that David and I got with the six cylinder trucks.  Maybe he will know where they are.
This was posted on 9/16/16.

Gary Lewis

Posting Legend

Well, the 2016 Okie GTG has begun. David/1986F150Six got here about 2:00 and we ran a gas mileage test between his truck w/a 30 year old 300 4.9L six and my new 3.5L EB. We filled up at the same pump, and then he drove right behind me for a 63.9 mile route, after which we again filled up at the same pump.

I babied mine as much as possible and got 19.95 MPG. That's the best my truck has ever gotten, and I was happy. But, David didn't know the road and he was trying to react to my moves and stay a fixed distance behind me, so he was working the throttle more than I was. AND HE STILL GOT BETTER MPG - 21.69. So much for new being better than old.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Your 12.5 MPG is, as you said but for everyone else's understanding, with the E4OD's OD dropping the R's to 1776 @ 65 MPH.  (That comes from our calculator [Driveline/Calculators], which confirms your RPM as 1503 @ 55 MPH).  In comparison, Big Blue is running 2501 RPM @ 65 MPH.  No wonder he's thirsty!

However, Big Blue's gearing allows him to pull hills almost as if they aren't there. Coming out of the little burg of Avant there's a REALLY steep hill, and you've been in a 25 MPH speed limit, which goes to 50 as the hill starts.  I wondered if BB would pull it in 4th, but was blown away at how easily he did it.  

I used an app called SpeedBox that recorded the speed and altitude each second of the trip.  So, I should be able to figure out how steep the hill is from the data, but am headed out to meet my brother at the moment, so will check later.

David - That's the report!  Wow, Blue got 19.95 MPG and 'Lil Red got 21.69.  Comparing Big Blue to Blue, there's no comparison.  Blue tows so easily, and for the 2500 mile trip to Lake Powell and back running 65 MPH and towing the 25' Sea Ray we got 11.0 MPG.  Running the A/C, listening to The 60's On 6, and frequently running the massaging seats.  In absolute comfort.  Jim says "Progress is good", and I'd say that's progress.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Excellent David! Thank you! Maybe at some future date I can add a data point for the IDI. 🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
And Gary will repeat the test with the two other carburetors!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Jonathan - That would be a good data point. 👍

David - Yes, soon. I hope.

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
You haven’t lived your life to the fullest, until you’ve Jump Out and Popped the Hood in Traffic….
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, it was the highlight of the day.  

And this reminds me that I need to do the route again with the 750 on Big Blue.  And not turn him off at the light.