Fusebox wire harness help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fusebox wire harness help

Shizimp
I'm hoping for some help here - I have a 1986 F150 that needs a new fusebox wire harness.  The truck has automatic windows, doors, AC, auto transmission & 4X4, and it's carbureted.  Of these features; what is needed when looking for a replacement wire harness?  I've spent alot of time looking for a truck with the exact same as I've listed, and can't find it.

I don't want to get into splicing wires; my mechanic has let me know that the labor associated would be more expensive than just finding the part.  Same with the after market parts; they require lots of pigtailing.  I'm not undermining my mechanic; just want to make sure we're on the right path and there aren't any other cost effective alternatives.  Thanks in advance for the help.  
1986 F-150, 4X4 short bed XL.  Power windows/door locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fusebox wire harness help

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Harnesses (harnii, as Gary would say) are pretty modular.
Optional modules like interior lighting group, power windows and locks, etc.. just plug in to the 'base' harness.
You'll obviously find a different harness in diesels because there's no ignition at all, but there are glow plug relays and warning lights + dual batteries.

So, you're looking for a non-brittle fuse panel with the harness attached?
Or your mechanic is going to try and re-pin your panel without crumbling it to bits?
There are three connector at the fuseblock: 1960, 1961 & 1962..

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Which harness do you want?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Shizimp
Thanks - I need the fusebox wire harness according to my mechanic.  If the truck is 4X4; does it need a fusebox wire harness from another 4X4?  Same question on carbureated vs fuel injected.  Thanks!
1986 F-150, 4X4 short bed XL.  Power windows/door locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I just showed you, there are THREE wiring harness that connect to the Fuse panel.

Your mechanic needs to tell you which one.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Let's start with, What is the problem you're trying to repair?

Then maybe one of us can figure out which one you need.

Jim,