classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuse # 17 keeps blowing

Otis Driftwood
1981 F150 Custom Explorer

Just replaced the headlight switch, which corrected the problem I had with the headlights going on and off. Was hoping it would correct the dash lights too, but it did not. I'll replace the fuse, and all is fine till about a minute after I pull out of my parking spot, and then I'll hear the pop of the fuse blowing. 90% of the time it's fuse 17 for the instrument lights. Kinda at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
Explorer Trim Package: "B"
Engine: 4.9 L (300) Inline 6 Cyl.
4x2, Regular Cab, Styleside Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuse # 17 keeps blowing

Dyn Blin
I was going to say to move to a relay set for the headlights to take the voltage off the switch (even changing the switch doesn't always relieve the resistance & heat from the  old wiring). But when you mention the instrument panel, makes me lean towards the Instrument Voltage Regulator.  Gary has a nice write up
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Another idea is that you have an intermittent short on the illumination wiring.  Perhaps someone changed out the radio and you have an intermittent short on the light blue/red wire going to it.  http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/instrument-illumination1.html

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Gary, would resistance in the wiring to the IVR input lead  ever see enough heat to trip the fuse?  

Or would the plastic film circuit ever get dirty enough to trip a fuse?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I doubt that would do it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Otis Driftwood wrote
...the fuse blowing. 90% of the time it's fuse 17 for the instrument lights.
Which fuse(s) is it the other 10%?
Dyn Blin wrote
...would resistance in the wiring to the IVR input lead  ever see enough heat to trip the fuse? Or would the plastic film circuit ever get dirty enough to trip a fuse?
Resistance REDUCES current through a circuit (and voltage to a component within that circuit); fuses blow because too MUCH current is flowing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Otis Driftwood
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The radio has been changed out, but has not worked since I bought the truck. Thinking about removing it entirely for now. Thanks for the tips, I'll let y'all know if that did  the trick.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Often times, it is what has been added [by a previous owner] that causes electrical issues [i.e. radios and trailer wiring].
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Amen, brother!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Otis Driftwood
Removed the radio, taped off the exposed wires, and I am happy to report, that I now have consistent dash lights! Thanks so much for the help y'all!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!