13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel tank sending unit

1986F150Six
Administrator
Good afternoon!

The fuel tank sending unit in my son's side mounted tank [1984 short wheel base] is acting up. I have a spare from a low mileage 1986, but looking at charts, it seems there was a difference beginning with 1985. Is that correct?

The engine is a 4.9L with feedback carburetor.

Thanks in advance!

David
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel tank sending unit

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - I think the difference is in the size of the opening into the tank.  I believe that in '85 they introduced the larger opening to allow the in-tank fuel pump to go in, but all of the tanks got the larger opening regardless of whether the truck had an in-tank pump or not.

So if your sender has the large flange on it I don't think it'll fit.  However, I could be wrong on that.  I don't think I've been wrong yet today, so I'm overdue.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I believe that in '85 they introduced the larger opening to allow the in-tank fuel pump to go in, but all of the tanks got the larger opening regardless of whether the truck had an in-tank pump or not.
Well that's interesting. I was wondering why they did that...and now I know!

David I ended installing a Spectra Premium sender in the side tank on my 1984, part number FG75A.
If by chance your son ends up buying this one, make sure he checks the float arms side by side to make sure they are the same. I wish I had done that with mine.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Thank you, Cory!
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
1985 was the first year for a plastic sending unit connector. The 80-84 ones were rubber.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
I may be having a similar problem here's the story:
I installed the plastic tank (MTS 4252B) and a new sending unit, the correct PN that I imagine (Dorman equivalent of E0TZ9275G). I Filled the tank, fuel level came up to full looked good, until some weeks later when I moved the truck, and the engine died. Long story short, it wasn't getting any fuel, although the gauge showed 1/4 tank. I added 6 gallons of fuel, the gauge came up to  FULL! I got the engine fired up so it seems there was no fuel coming out of the tank. Any ideas what the source of this problem maybe?
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
I ordered one from RockAuto for my ‘81. It has worked fairly well. It reads past full when you top off, and tends to have 2-3 gallons left when it reaches E which suits me fine. I wouldn’t say it’s super accurate, but for the old pulsing ICVR system I can’t complain. It has never let me run out.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
I think what Jonathan is saying is that these fuel gauges are not accurate and can easily show fuel when there is none.

And, there were several different tanks and a myriad of senders.  If you got the wrong one the pickup portion may not go to the bottom of the tank.

You can check that out by looking in the tank with the tank and the fuel filler hose removed.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
Bulletproof250 wrote
I may be having a similar problem here's the story:
I installed the plastic tank (MTS 4252B) and a new sending unit, the correct PN that I imagine (Dorman equivalent of E0TZ9275G).
It certainly pays to compare pricing... these currently are on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Fuel-Tank-Level-Sending-Unit-For-Ford-E0TZ-9275-G-/182402944935

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-OEM-E0TZ-9275-G-Fuel-Sender-Sending-Unit-NOS-SHIPS-FREE-/254460100859

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I've had similar problems. I put an AutoZone (Chinese, of course!) pump and sender assembly in my '86. I don't know where my problems lies, but my gauge is inaccurate. Full means full, but at 1/4 reading on the gauge I can only get about half capacity in the tank.

I guess if a gauge is goint to be off, I'd rather it err like mine does. It sure beats running out of fuel!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
I ordered one from RockAuto for my ‘81. It has worked fairly well. It reads past full when you top off, and tends to have 2-3 gallons left when it reaches E which suits me fine. I wouldn’t say it’s super accurate, but for the old pulsing ICVR system I can’t complain. It has never let me run out.
I got my senders from A1 Auto years ago and with 5 gallons in the tanks the needle come up to the E mark and when full is over the F mark and I am happy with that.

I did have the rear float sink shortly after I put them in service. I used the old sender float and has been good since.

I did match each new sender to the old ones to make sure they were close to the same. I was sure the old ones were factory senders.
I don't see why you could not measure from the tanks flange to the bottom of the tank and do the same on the sender(s) to see if they reach close to the bottom.

Did you install the filter sock? Wonder if that could have something to do with how low the level gets before it will not pull fuel?
I thought both new senders had the filter socks but when I pulled the rear for the float it did nothave the sock  on it. Because I did not drop the tank all the way out I had no way to look inside to see if it fell off and was floating around inside or not.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When I get the Arduino going for Big Blue so I can use the later senders with Bullnose gauges it will have a table that translates resistance on the sender to current to the gauge.  In other words, I'll be able to tune it so the gauge reads what I want it to read.

And, since it is a computer it won't know if we change out the table and put in Bullnose resistances.  So, if y'all want we'll have a way to calibrate the fuel gauges.