Fuel pump

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel pump

hubcityford
I tried to start my 81 today by putting fuel line into fuel container but no good. Then I disconnected fuel line at carb and no fuel was coming out so I assume my fuel pump needs replacing. I can hardly see the mechanical pump due to power steering pump (I think)-photo attached. Can I just remove power steering pully to reach fuel pump?  Thanks for any advice!!

Jeremy 273CF22C-61FB-4595-8850-7BAC01348BE8.jpeg
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel pump

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the fuel pump is down there, but no you cannot take the pulley off as that requires a special puller.  However, you can loosen the tension on the belt and then take the power steering pump bracket off the engine and lay the pump to one side.

But, make sure you don't have a bad hose.  The hoses on these trucks weren't made for gasohol and that eats them up.  And if the hose before the pump has any split or porosity, or a bad clamp, where it can suck in air it won't be able to pull gas and pump it.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
Thanks. Will I just remove the two bolts that adjust the tension? There is another bracket that the tensioner is attached. That also has two bolts closer to center of engine.
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's a long bolt at the top of your picture that the bracket rotates on.  Once you loosen whichever bolts are holding the bracket from rotating then you remove that long bolt and the one or two that keep it from rotating.  Then the whole bracket and pump should lay over to the side.  BUT, don't lay it over very much or you'll have a mess with fluid running out the fill neck.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
Makes sense. Got my marching orders for tomorrow
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Any sort of decay of the fuel line will cause that as well. Last fall my truck was losing prime on the fuel pump. I primed the carb and got it running and noticed a stream coming from a pin hole in the fuel line. I replaced it and solved my problem. So be sure to replace the rubber lines with all new good lines as well.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
A piece of bailing wire or a big zip-tie will hold the power steering up out of the way.

A shallow swivel socket (or a pair of sockets) will make life much easier R&R the fuel pump.
Be sure to inch it in, instead of trying to tighten one bolt fully, then the other.
Gluing the gasket in place with Indian Head or some other gasket adhesive helps a lot too.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
In reply to this post by hubcityford
I replaced fuel pump but still not starting. Any advice on where to go next? It’s turning over fuel is pumping but no fire. Do I start at replacing plugs and go from there? Is there a way to troubleshoot or pinpoint the issue? Thanks for the help.

Jeremy
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's make sure you have the basics going.  First, is the choke closing?  If so, peer down the throat of the carb and briskly open the throttle.  You should see two streams of gas shoot into the carb.  That will tell you that you have fuel in the carb.

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
Yes, that’s where I’m at now. Isn’t firing up.

Jeremy
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't want to assume anything.  So you have two jets of gas squirting into the carb when you move the throttle?  And, when you are trying to start it the choke is coming almost closed?

If so, have you confirmed that you have spark?  Take an old spark plug and pull the wire off a plug, stick the old plug in the wire, and lay the old plug on the engine where it'll be touching metal on the outside shell.  Crank the engine and see if you have spark, and what color it is.

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
I think that I need to confirm spark and will try that next. Do I remove a spark plug from the engine or use a spare spark plug to perform the test? Just want to make sure I am on the same page. What possible spark colors are there and what would they mean. Thanks for the advice.

Jeremy
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No need to remove a plug if you have a spare.

Colors are white/blue is good, yellow/red is poor.  But any spark is better than none.

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
I had no spark...replaced coil, distributor cap & rotor along with ignition module. And she fired right up and sounded awesome. Thanks for all the help! I think I have the “bug” now. Going to get it on jack stands next so I can get all tires replaced. Not sure what to do with fuel tank. Is it worth trying to clean or just replace with new? Anything else I need to do while I have it lifted?
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it worked!

As for the fuel tank, I wouldn't clean it.  I'd buy a new tank instead.  They aren't expensive, and you'll dodge a lot of problems that you would probably have if you tried to clean it.

As for what else to do, check all of the suspension bushings.  The ones on the control arms are frequently bad.

Reply | Threaded
|

Phil-S
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hello Gary,
Could you maybe please circle the bolts you are talking about.
My fuel pump just broke recently and i finally received the replacement shipment from the US and definitely have to remove parts to be able to access the two bolts of the pump.
Thanks,
Philipp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If I remember correctly there are two bolts holding the bracket on to the engine.  There's a really long one that goes through the bracket, and my arrow that points "up" in the picture is trying to point to it.  And then there should be another one below that which cannot be seen in the picture.

Also, there's the bolt that my other arrow points to that you loosen to tighten the tension on the belt.  You'll need to loosen that before you remove the other two bolts to take the tension off the belt, and then when you put the pump back on you'll have to re-tension the belt.

Reply | Threaded
|

Phil-S
Awesome. Thank you so much!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The square hole in the steering pump bracket is there for you to use a breaker bar to hold tension on the belt while you tighten the adjuster bolt.
Ratchet heads are typically too large to clear the pulley.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Phil-S
So i replaced it today. 😁 I was actually able to access the fixings from the top and the fuel lines from underneath. It all took a while due to limited access. Most time i spent on inserting the lever correctly but it runs again without spill. Thanks again