Fuel pump???s

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel pump???s

Lance912
I'm having fuel issues, the fuel pump that came on it is mounted on the wheel well. It has died, so I'm looking at new ones and all the ones that are popping up on my criteria for my truck are the mechanical ones. I thought those went on the V8s and where that one should go, there are bolt holes but nothing for the arm to go in. Is there a way for me to know exactly which one is supposed to go on my truck? like by VIN# or something? Thanks
85 XL F150 4x4 manual transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel pump???s

JimJam300
300 inline six? You might have to take some photos. I wonder if you have an EFI block and the previous owner worked around it?
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
Yes on the 300, what would you like a picture of to help identify my issue? I think a lot of things have been worked around to be honest!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Did your truck function well with the old aftermarket fuel pump?
Would you consider just replacing it, rather than reverting to stock?

Do you have dual tanks? Switch on left of climate control?
And does this one pump function with both tanks (i.e. is there a switching valve involved)

A picture of the pump in place and the wiring going to it would help.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
Single tank, seemed to work ok with the one that was on there. It just quit working and I need to replace it but everywhere I look, it keeps saying I need the one that goes on the block. Could there one in the fuel tank?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not really.
As the other Jim said there should be a mechanical pump on the engine.
If your truck had a pump in the tank it would have to have a four wire connector on the tank bung.
This is why you can't find an electric fuel pump in that application.

The only '85 trucks that would have an in-tank pump would be the 5.0l EFI and 7.5 with Hot Fuel Handling.
Here's a schematic showing how single and dual tank 4.9's were set up.

If your truck ran well before I'd think your best bet is to replace the retrofitted pump with one similar.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
Thanks for the input, gonna try another inline one to see if that works
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
  So I got the fuel pump working as it should except now fuel is flowing out of the circled fitting( never done that before) I have no idea what goes there because it was not there when purchased. Any suggestions
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You've circled the evaporative emissions bowl vent that should be connected by a purge valve to the charcoal canister.
The float is stuck or the pump is putting out more than 5psi..

Do you need to pass visual emissions where you live?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Lance912
What fuel pump did you install?
Is it specifically for carburetors?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
We don't have to go through inspection here, the one I put on was a Trugrade for a 302ci 2 barrel carb, mine is a single barrel, I had a feeling it might be delivering to much fuel or the float was sticking, I'm basically guessing at what parts to get because it seems that I bought a ratrod
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well if you don't have inspection and the pump you bought is 5 or less psi I'd say your float is stuck.
Try rapping on the bowl with a screwdriver handle or something similar.
Maybe the float will come loose and stop overflowing.

"Too much volume" is not a problem.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
I checked the pressure on the pump and it is putting out way too much, ordered a new one with the correct psi. Should know something in a few days. Thanks for the help
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Out of curiosity I looked up a Carter mechanical fuel pump for your application

Their #-M60330 shows a spec of 5psi and 23 gallons per hour minimum, but honestly any pump that could deliver 3 psi and 20 gallons would be plenty for the YF on your 300.

I hope the new pump works out for you!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Lance912
Good morning, I have installed the new pump and it will crank and run for a minute or so. When I give it a little gas it dies like the fuel has been cut off. I know it's a long shot, but do you have any idea what might cause that?
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
If you got hose on the suction side of the pump maybe it is collapsing when the pump start running faster?
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Lance912
Without pics of the installation and wiring, a link to the specific pump you've installed, nor any details like if you've installed fuel filters and where it's going to be very difficult to diagnose this.

I kinda doubt the line is getting sucked flat if the previous replacement pump was able to easily overpower the float and gush fuel from the eec vent.
But it would be good to know if the fuel is scungy and plugging something up.
 Jim,